Sunday Premier Cup photo


Jim Taylor

The final of Middlesex FA’s foremost Sunday cup competition, the Sunday Premier Cup was played on Wednesday, 15th May at Preston Park, the home of Harefield United FC. 

The teams involved were the holders, Highgate Albion and AFC Hammersmith Town, both of whom play in the Premier Division of the SFL London. Hammersmith Town had clinched the League title a few days before this final, winning the division with 23 points from 8 matches (7 wins and a draw). Highgate Albion finished in second place with 21 points (6 wins and a draw). 

This Middlesex Sunday Premier Cup and the Middlesex Premier Cup are both being sponsored this season by The Gym Kitchen. We were very pleased to welcome the company’s founder, Segun Akinwoleola to the match, as a Guest of Honour. Segun has been a supporter of grassroots football for many years. He became a Middlesex FA Councillor in July 2017 and is a member of the County FA’s Commercial Advisory Board.

Segun and our other Guest of Honour, Middlesex FA Chief Executive, Kayleigh Saunders, were introduced to the players and match officials before kick off.

Highgate Albion were formed in 1982 and AFC Hammersmith Town in 2011.

The Middlesex Sunday Premier Cup was first played for in the 1977-78 season, when it was won by Kilburn Seniors.

Highgate Albion won this cup last season by beating Heavy Hitters 5-1 in the final, which was played at Northwood FC’s Skyline Roofing Stadium.

22 teams entered the competition this season. 

AFC Hammersmith Town reached this season’s final by beating Heavy Hitters 3-0 away in round 1, Highgate Albion BSL 1-0 away in round 2, North London Athletic 4-2 at home in the quarter-final and Grenfell Athletic 6-2 at home in the semi-final.

Highgate Albion beat Indian Gymkhana 10-2 at home in round 1, Olympia FC in a penalty shoot-out after a 2-2 away draw in round 2, Abbey First 6-0 away in the quarter-final and Ivy Leaf WD 5-1 at home in the semi-final.

The two teams produced a very good quality final, which showcased Sunday football at its best.  It was very tight and hard fought but was generally played in a good spirit.  The only goal of the game was scored in the 63rd minute.

The team captains and match officials

Hammersmith Town made the early running and Highgate Albion keeper, Charlie Taylor saved low shots from Prosper Keto and Obinna Ogbonna. Then Nathan Mampono shaved the Albion bar with a drive from around 25 yards.

Charlie Taylor pushed away Prosper Keto’s freekick, from wide on the right.

Charlie Taylor punches a free-kick away

Albion’s Tage Kennedy went on a run on the right and was brought down. The resulting free-kick into the box by Lonit Talla was cleared.

Hammersmith were defending very effectively and were preventing Highgate Albion from playing their usual flowing passing game. As a result, Charlie Taylor was by far the busier of the goalkeepers. He took Tobi Falodi’s 30 yard freekick low down.

Tobi Falodi (2) hits a free-kick...

... and Charlie Taylor saves

Tage Kennedy met Isaac Stones’ low cross but he didn’t hit his shot cleanly and Hammersmith custodian Michael Power-Simpson gathered safely.

In the 41st minute, Albion’s Alvin Kyeremeh brought Obinna Ogbonna down in the penalty area. Tobi Falodi took the spot kick. Charlie Taylor came to Albion’s rescue by making a good save, diving to his right.

Obinna Ogbonna is fouled in the penalty area...

... and Charlie Taylor saves Tobi Falodi's spot-kick

Charlie parried Nathan Mampono’s shot at close range.

Prosper Keto set up Obinna Ogbonna, who shot wide from an acute angle.  

Half-time score: Highgate Albion 0 Hammersmith Town 0

Charlie Taylor took Tobi Falodi’s high freekick from the left wing. 

Charlie Taylor saves a free-kick from the left-wing

Charlie then saved from Eliot Crosbie at close quarters.

Charlie saves low down from Eliot Crosbie

Alvin Kyeremeh moved up into the attack and volleyed over the crossbar, from a long ball into the box.

A shot on the turn by Isaac Stones was parried and the ball rebounded off the post, during a frenetic tussle in the Hammersmith box.

Hammersmith took the lead in the 62nd minute. Obinna Ogbonna cut in and delivered a low shot, which Charlie Taylor pushed for a corner. The cross was headed home by Idowu Gbolagade.

Idowu Gbolagade heads the winning goal

Richard Ennin’s shot was blocked and rebounded to Excellence Muhemba but Michael Power-Simpson saved.

Michael Power-Simpson saves from Excellence Muhemba

Michael then thwarted Isaac Stones, who was pursuing a high ball into the box.

Nathan Mampono shot wide and then brought a good low save from the keeper.

A well-positioned Chris Regis shot over the Hammersmith bar.

Highgate Albion strived unsuccessfully for an equaliser during the 8 minutes of additional time and forced several corners.

Michael Power-Simpson displayed great reactions to save Pele Riley’s header at the foot of his post.

Charlie Taylor went up-field for a corner in the dying seconds. However, the game finished with Excellence Muhemba’s shot on the turn clearing the Hammersmith bar.

Final score: Highgate Albion 0 Hammersmith Town 1

The winners with the cup

Referee Sam Gregory had an impressive match. He exerted his authority and clearly demonstrated his level of tolerance early in this physical encounter. The players responded well and Sam almost got through the entire proceedings, without having to show a card. It was only in added time. that some verbal abuse from the Highgate Albion technical area and a blatant shirt-pull by Hammersmith defender Javin Dougan, made it necessary for him to do so. Sam received excellent support from his officiating colleagues.

Our Guests of Honour, Kayleigh Saunders and Segun Akinwoleola, presented the cup and individual mementoes after the game. They chose Hammersmith’s Idowu Gbolagade as Player of the Match.   

Our thanks are given to Harefield United FC for allowing us the use of their excellent facilities and for their superb hospitality on the night. 


Highgate Albion: Charles Taylor, Prince Kandolo, Michael O’Donoghue, Hermes Gbio, Pele Riley, Lonit Talla (captain), Chris Regis, Alvin Kyeremeh, Tage Kennedy, Isaac Stones and Richard Ennin.

Rolling substitutes: Solomon Ofori, Excellence Muhemba, Alison Junio De Paiva, Caoilan McGettigan and Aaron Scott.

Manager: Adam Shahein   

Coaches: Paul Leach, Ian Maitland and Dane Christie   

Physio: Alexandru Gavriloaia.

Hammersmith Town: Michael Power-Simpson, Prosper Keto, Tobi Falodi, Stephan Langley, Nathan Mampono, Idowu Gbolagade, Obinna Ogbonna, Albie Sheehan-Cozens, Eliot Crosbie (captain), Sean Nojinga-Basaye and Meron Abraham.

Rolling substitutes: Youel Emmanuel, JJ Pamboe, Bilal Bihi, Kionte Waul and Javin Dougan.

Manager: Dean Banks   

Coaches: Perry Banks and Jeff Banks.

Referee: Sam Gregory   

Assistant Referees: Mike Heavey and Mohammed Shahib Shohel   

Fourth Official: Mike Berchie

Attendance: A very disappointing 30.

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn