Setting up a club
The FA's Respect programme provides a series of tools for leagues, clubs, coaches, players and parents from grassroots to elite football - to help ensure a safe, positive environment in which to play the game.
Rules and Regulations
FA Rules and Regulations ensure fair play in the grassroots game, both on and off the pitch. Find information about the following areas here.
- Laws of the Game
- Safeguarding & Welfare
- Players: Ensure each team has a squad of at least 14 players or the appropriate number for Mini Soccer/Small Sided teams.
- Affiliation: Complete and forward the appropriate documentation and fees to the County FA and league or other competitions.
- Facilities: Arrange pitch(es) which comply with appropriate league regulations and specifications. It is also prudent to arrange/book training facilities early.
- Meetings: Organise club/team meetings (eg. Weekly Training, Monthly Management Meeting, AGM). Also attend relevant league or County FA meetings when required.
- Registration: Ensure all players are registered with the appropriate league (forms will be available from the league). Up to date photographs may be required.
- Friendly Fixtures: Arrange fixtures with secretaries of other affiliated clubs and notify the County FA for approval.
- Subscription: Set a subscription for players and members to meet your costs for the season. Carry out fund raising (appropriate to the club).
- Delegation: Club Secretaries/Team Managers should seek support from other members to spread the administrative workload where practical.
- Confirm Fixture eg. kick-off time, colours, directions to ground, availability of pitch with groundsman, match officials.
- Pitch: Ensure pitch is safe and correctly prepared with nets, flags, markings and access to appropriate changing facilities.
- Match Officials: Ensure match officials have been paid (home team only).
- Refreshments: Provide refreshments where appropriate.
- Medical Bag: Further details can be found on the Pitch Side Medical Bag page
- Results: Ensure the result card is completed and posted to the appropriate league official to arrive by designated time. Please note the competition may require the result to be confirmed by telephoning the appropriate official. Level of detail on result card (e.g. players, goal scorers, substitutions, injuries etc) will be depend on league policy.
- Disciplinary Procedures: This is an ongoing task throughout the season. The secretary and players must complete and return appropriate documentation with fines. A record should be kept of players discipline and ensure any suspended players do not play.
- AGM: Arrange AGM and/or presentation evening.
- A copy of your club accounts must be posted or emailed to the County FA by the 30th September each season.