Jim Taylor

The final of the Middlesex FA Dudley Harper Under 12 Cup, between Bedfont Eagles and Hampton & Richmond Borough Stags, was played on Sunday, 12th May at Rectory Park.

The Middlesex Under 12 Youth Cup was first competed for in the 1975-76 season, when it was won by Discus.

The holders of this cup were London Athletic Red, who beat Bessingby Park Rangers Red in last season’s final at Rectory Park.

60 teams entered this season’s competition.

Both of the teams engaged in this game play in the Surrey Youth League.

Bedfont Eagles reached the final by beating Hanwell Town Red 10-0 at home in round 1, Celtic Red 7-1 away in round 2, Panthera Red 2-0 at home in round 3, Ickenham Youth White 8-1 away in the quarter-final and Parks (Youth) FC 2-1 at home in the semi-final.

Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Stags received a bye in round 1 and received a walk-over in round 2 against Twickenham Tigers Black. They then beat Hendon Youth Red 7-1 away, Cademy Red 2-0 away and St Joseph’s Youth ’88 5-1 at home.

Matches in this competition are 9 a side, with rolling substitutes employed and are played over 30 minutes in each half.

The opening stages of this entertaining match were evenly contested. Then Bedfont Eagles scored twice late in the first half, to gain the ascendancy. After an eventful but until then scoreless second half, Bedfont scored again in added time, before Hampton and Richmond Borough netted a late consolation goal.

In the 1st minute, Bedfont’s Lukas Antanavicius was narrowly wide with a long shot. 

Play went to the other end and an assault on the Bedfont goal contained several shots, which were either saved or blocked. Then the Eagles’ goalkeeper, Jayden Dunham kicked clear from Finley Griffin and soon afterwards he dived to save low down from Finley.

A concentrated assault by Hampton on the Bedfont goal

Jayden Dunham saves from Finlay Griffin (6)

Hampton’s Tyler Robinson released Finn Jones, who was tripped just outside the Eagles penalty area. Dylan Walsh took the resulting freekick, which was cleared with difficulty.

Dylan Walsh's (7) free kick is cleared with difficulty

Bedfont’s Lukas Antanavicius tried a long shot, which keeper Jake Garrett held. Zach Ellis headed wide from a corner.

Bedfont took the lead in the 23rd minute, through Lukas’ long-range drive.

Lukas Antanavicius shoots...

... to put Eagles 1-0 ahead

The Eagles went further ahead 4 minutes later, when Lukas headed home from a corner.

A corner comes to Lukas (6) ...

... who heads Eagles' second goal

Bedfont’s speedy Kairon Peters beat the keeper to a through ball but he put his shot narrowly wide.

Half-time score: Bedfont Eagles 2 Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Stags 0

Hampton’s James Wilson set up Torben Kirkland, whose shot was saved.   

Kairon Peters ran through the Hampton middle and fed Ziad Abdelnaby, who was foiled by keeper Jake Garrett.

Jake then saved at close range from Ziad, who had dispossessed a defender.

Jake Garrett saves from Ziad Abdelnaby (8)

Jayden Dunham then came off of his line to thwart Dylan Walsh, who had been put through by James Wilson.

Jake Garrett saved twice from Kairon Peters, who was set up first by Ziad and then by Billy Healey. Kairon and Ziad were proving to be a tenacious pairing up front for Eagles, keeping the Hampton defence at full stretch.

Jayden Dunham saved Harry Stephen’s low shot with his legs at the expense of a corner, which he then caught high up. Jayden then saved Finley Griffin’s low shot.

Kairon Peters pursued a ball through the middle and tested Jake Garrett with a low drive.

Both sides had more scoring chances before Eagles extended their lead in the 3rd minute of added time. A low shot from Lukas was blocked and Kairon hit the rebound home.

Kairon Peters hits Eagles third goal

A minute later, Harry Stephen tapped in a consolation goal for Hampton.

Harry Stephen scores for Hampton

Final score: Bedfont Eagles 3 Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Stags 1

The winners with the cup

The game was very well controlled by referee Theo Silverman, who received good support from his 3 colleagues.   

The Guest of Honour was hard-working Middlesex FA Youth Council member, Matthew Dyachuk. Matthew was introduced to the teams and match officials, prior to the kick off and he presented the cup and mementoes after the match. He chose the influential Lukas Antanavicius of Bedfont Eagles as Player of the Match.


Bedfont Eagles: Jayden Dunham, Billy Healey, Tai Andrews, Jack Gilbert, Jackson Taylor (captain), Lukas Antanavicius, Francis Hellyer, Zach Ellis and Kairon Peters.

Rolling substitutes: Alfie Wells, Joshua Horwood, Ziad Abdelnaby and Archie Chipping.

Manager: Lee Taylor   

Coach: Gary Dunham.   

Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Stags: Jake Garrett, Torben Kirkland (captain), Finley Griffin, Dylan Walsh, James Wilson, Tyler Robinson, Alex Wardrop, Finn Jones and Alex Hoff.

Rolling substitutes: Harry Stephen, Ricardo Annino and Finn Timba.

Manager: Paul Timba 

Assistant Managers: Paddy Kirkland and Ian Garrett. 

Referee: Theo Silverman   

Assistant Referees: Jack Ransom and Connor Taggart   

Fourth Official: Harry Jacobs.

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn