Under 18 Girls Cup final photo


Jim Taylor

This season’s Middlesex FA Gill Taylor Under 18 Girls Cup final, between Hinton & Finchley Revolution Haringey Girls and Hayes & Yeading United, took place on Thursday, 9th May, at Bedfont Sports FC.  Middlesex FA broke new ground in season 2020-21, with the introduction of this cup competition for its under 18 girls’ teams. The first winners were London City Lionesses, who beat Ruislip Rangers 2-1 in the final.   

Disappointedly, the new competition has struggled to gain credibility. The entry in each of its first 2 seasons was just 7 clubs. However, there was an encouraging improvement this season, with 11 teams entering.

The holders were Fulham Women, who overwhelmed Watford Ladies Youth Hornets 5-0 in last season’s final at Bedfont Sports FC.

Our Under 18 Girls Cup is named after the evening’s Guest of Honour, Gill Taylor, an enthusiastic devotee of Women’s football, who started as a player in 1975. Gill is a Middlesex FA Councillor and currently chairs the Women and Girls Committee. Gill was introduced to the teams and match officials before kick-off.

Haringey Girls had a bye in round 1 and then reached the final by beating the holders, Fulham Women, 2-0 in the quarter-final and Watford Ladies Youth Warriors 7-1 in the semi-final. Both these matches were at home.

Hayes & Yeading United qualified for the final with three convincing victories. They beat Kew Park Rangers Girls Royals 6-1 at home in round 1, Enfield Town Ladies Youth 6-0 away in the quarter-final and Chesham United Ladies 9-1 at home in the semi-final.

Hinton & Finchley Revolution Haringey were formed in 2016 and Hayes & Yeading United in 2007. Both clubs play in the Junior Premier League.

Hayes & Yeading United took a very early lead. However, Haringey scored twice midway through the first half to lead at half time. They added 3 more goals in the second half to finish comfortable 5-1 winners.

A long freekick by Haringey’s Rimini Lowe in the first minute was confidently taken by United keeper, Emma Vigolo.

United took the lead in the 3rd minute, through Riya Kantamaneni, who burst through the middle and slid the ball home.

Riya Kaniamaneni slides the ball home to put United ahead

Layla Belle-Duman prevented United increasing their lead by coming out and saving at Tanique Cole’s feet.

Jess Reid’s long shot into the Haringey box was taken by Laya.

United keeper, Emma Vigolo saved Caitlen-Star Boodram’s drive from around 25 yards.

Emma then turned a freekick by Rimini low over her crossbar.

Haringey equalised in the 20th minute, through Caitlen-Star’s well executed chip into the top corner of the net.

Caitlen-Star Boodram (far left) chips Haringey's equaliser

Caitlen-Star scored again 5 minutes later, with a low drive to put her side in front.

Caitlen-Star shoots...

... to put Haringey ahead

Emma Vigolo pushed Rimini’s long freekick out.

Vicky Panagopolou‘s freekick troubled Layla Belle-Duman, who juggled with the ball and just stopped it crossing the goal-line.

Layla Belle-Duman's juggling act with Vicky Panagopoulou's free kick (1)...

... and (2)

Caitlen-Star fed Ella Stephens, whose cross was punched out by Emma Vigolo to Rhiann Grant, who was unable to capitalise.

Half time score: Haringey Girls 2 Hayes & Yeading United 1

Maddy Tester took over in the United goal for the second half.

Caitlen-Star progressed through the middle and Maddy saved at her feet. However, the referee penalised a kick by defender, Ruby Petch at Caitlen-Stars’ heel. Caitlen-Star converted the penalty, to complete her hat-trick and put her side 3-1 ahead.

United concede a penalty...

... which Caitlen-Star converts

Rhiann Grant shot past the post and then collected a through ball up the middle but was thwarted by Maddy, who dived at her feet.

Haringey were now having plenty of shots at the United goal. Rimini Lowe cleared the crossbar twice, once from a freekick. Maddy saved a low angled shot from Ella Stephens. 

Maddy made a good save from Caitlen-Stars’ 30 yard shot, towards the top corner of her goal.

Mia Obeng’s corner bounced on the United crossbar.

Matilda Donald netted Haringey’s 4th goal, following a corner, in the 81st minute.

Matilda Donald (21) nets Haringey's 4th goal

Shanique Brown added a 5th goal for Haringey in the 88th minute, with a lob from around 35 yards.

Shanique Brown (middle) lobs Haringey's 5th goal

The Hayes & Yeading United players kept battling to the end, particularly Tanique Cole, who never stopped running up front.

Final Score: Haringey Girls 5 Hayes & Yeading United 1

The winners with the cup

The match was very well handled by referee Gemma Day, who had good support from her team.

The Guest of Honour, Gill Taylor presented the Cup and mementoes after the game. Gill chose Haringey’s influential Caitlen-Star Boodram as Player of the Match. Caitlen Star was also presented with a football to commemorate her hattrick.

Our grateful thanks are given once again to Bedfont Sports FC, for putting their fine facilities at our disposal and for their hospitality throughout the evening. 

TEAM LINE-UPS:                                                                                                                 

Haringey Girls: Layla Belle-Duman, Alexandra Wade, Tayla Dennis, Matilda Donald, Montana Headley, Rimini Lowe, Caitlen-Star Boodram, Victoria Racheva, Ella Stephens, Shanique Brown and Mia Obeng (capt).

Rolling substitutes: Julia Szumilas, Milla Martinez-Groom and Rhiann Grant.

Manager: Giacomo Manzi   

Assistant Manager: Frank Obeng   

Physio: Amy Haynes.

Hayes & Yeading United: Emma Vigolo, Ellie Luscombe, Ruby Petch, Tanique Cole, Jess Reid, Giusy Carnevale, Riya Kantamaneni, Lola Middleton, Tygun Hart, Sadie Miller (capt) and Vicky Panagopolou.

Rolling substitutes: Maddy Tester, Ruby Havens and Maggie Gates.

Manager: Katie Wales   

Coach: Joe Evea   

Physio: Craig Wright.

Referee: Gemma Day   

Assistant Referees: Simon Smith and Nieve Naughton 

Fourth Official: Monicah Kusemwa.

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn