Capital Women’s Senior Cup photo


Jim Taylor

This season’s Capital Women’s Senior Cup Final, between Haringey Borough FC and Ashford Town (Middlesex) Women, was played on Thursday, 2nd May at Silver Jubilee Park, the home of Hendon FC.

The Capital Women’s Cups are competed for by clubs affiliated to London, Surrey and Middlesex FAs and the Amateur Football Alliance.The competition, which started in the 2013-14 season. It is divided into Senior, Intermediate and Junior Sections and has replaced the respective County Cups, with the aim of increasing the level of competitiveness for the member clubs of the associations involved. This final was hosted by London FA. The holders were Arsenal Academy, who beat AFC Wimbledon 2-1 in last season’s final at CB Hounslow United’s Green Lane HQ.

Both teams received a bye in the 1st round of this season’s competition. Haringey Borough then reached the final with 3 home victories. They beat Badshot Lea Ladies 2-0 in round 2, Tottenham Hotspur Academy 3-1 in the quarter-final and Actonian Ladies 3-2 in the semi-final.

Ashford Town (Middlesex) registered victories against Crawley AFC 6-3 at home, London Seaward in a penalty shoot-out, after a goalless draw at home and London Bees 5-0 away.

The teams produced a splendid match. Several uncommited observers told me that it was the most entertaining cup final that they had seen for several seasons. The action in the first half was breathtaking. Haringey Borough fought back to equalise, after Ashford Town had twice taken the lead. The score at the interval was 2-2.  The entertainment continued in the second half. Ashford took the lead for the 3rd time in the 74th minute and more or less controlled the match from then onwards.  They scored a fourth goal in the 86th minute to clinch a thrilling victory.

Nicole Leys put the Tangerines ahead in the 3rd minute, when she stabbed home a left-wing cross at the back post.

Nicole Leys puts Ashford Town 1-0 up

Ashford remained on the offensive and a wicked looking freekick by Alissa Down was punched away by the Haringey keeper, Liamara Hensel Burg.

At the other end, Ronell Humes fired low but just wide.

Ashford’s Aimee Durn pursued a good through ball but Liamara came out of her area to kick clear.

Then Ashford keeper, Emma Vigolo came out to thwart Jada Pollendine.

Alissa Down’s long-range effort was narrowly off target.

Haringey equalised in the 18th minute. The speedy Jada Pollendine, who had been posing Ashford problems down the right, cut in, dribbled through the defence and slid the ball home.

Jada Pollendine (12) makes the score 1-1

The ball continued to flow up and down the field. There was nothing to choose between the teams at this stage. However, the speedy trio of Haringey front runners, Ronell Humes, Marta Boabonay and Jada were increasingly troubling the Tangerine’s defence.   

Aimee Durn won possession and tried a lob, which the keeper saved. Then Ashley Cheatley’s long shot flew wide.

Emma Vigolo saved Ronell’s angled shot.   

Ashley won the ball and fed Martha Riley, whose shot was just wide.

Marta Boabonay cut in and tested Emma with a shot from close range, which she parried.  

Alissa’s freekick was marginally too high and then Aimee’s shot from around 25 yards was saved.

Jada Pollendine fired just wide, after being set up by Ronell Humes.

The Tangerines regained the lead in the 39th minute. Ashley Cheatley hit the post and the ball rebounded to Jordanne Hoesli-Atkins, who netted from an acute angle.

Jordanne Hoesli-Atkins (21) nets from an acute angle

However, Borough equalised again almost immediately. A mix-up in the Ashford defence presented Ronell Humes with a chance, which she took after her first shot had been scrambled away.

Ronell Humes (right) makes the score 2-2

Haringey kept up the pressure, as the interval approached. Jada set up Marta for a close range shot, which was deflected over the crossbar. Ashford then successfully defended 2 difficult in-swinging corner kicks and Emma saved Chloe Ions’ dangerous freekick.

Emma Vigolo deals with a corner

Half-time score: Haringey Borough 2 Ashford Town (Middlesex) 2

Liamara turned Ashley’s shot for a corner.

Liamara Hensel-Burg turns Ashley Cheatley's shot for a corner

A well-struck freekick from Alissa Down, who enjoyed a very good second period, brought a good save from Liamara. Alissa took control of the midfield and also directed several long-range free kicks at the Borough goal.

Emma saved Saoirse Hourigan’s long shot and then Liamara saved high up from Aimee.

The Borough keeper turned another shot from Ashley around the post.

The Tangerines were now containing the threat from the Borough strikers.

They regained the lead in the 74th minute, when Alissa Down headed home from Millie Constantine’s corner.

Alissa Down heads Ashford's third goal

Anya Kinnane headed Ashford Town’s 4th goal from a cross, in the 86th minute.

Anya Kinnane leaps...

... to head Ashford's fourth goal

Millie then hit the post with an effort from around 30 yards, with the goalkeeper stranded.

Alissa went close to adding to her side’s goal tally, when she bounced a freekick on the top of the crossbar and she was then foiled by a timely defender’s interception.  

Final score: Haringey Borough 2 Ashford Town (Middlesex) 4

Our thanks are due to both teams for providing a really entertaining evening. Congratulations are due to Ashford Town (Middlesex) on a splendid victory and condolences are given to Haringey Borough, who ran them so close.

Middlesex clubs have acquitted themselves well in the CWC competitions this season, with the Tangerines’ victory following Brentford’s Intermediate Cup final win, earlier in the week against Leatherhead.

This is Ashford Town’s first Senior CWC victory. They won the Junior Cup in 2017 and also won the final of the Intermediate Cup in 2019 but unfortunately had to relinquish the title, because of an administrative error.

The excellent performance of the third team on the pitch also contributed to the occasion. Referee, Esther Perry, an Australian who is currently studying here and her team controlled the proceedings admirably.

The Guest of Honour and Chairman of London FA, James Middlehurst, presented the Trophy and distributed the individual mementoes after the game.  

The Player of the Match, chosen by Middlesex FA Chairman, John Taylor, was Ashford Town’s outstanding midfielder and captain, Alissa Down.

Alissa Down receives the Player of the Match award

Our thanks are given to Hendon FC, for the use of their excellent facilities.

The winners with the cup


Haringey Borough: Liamara Hensel Burg, Lola Shack, Lexi Wade, Summer Young, Kylie Manktelow, Chloe Ions, Rimini Lowe, Saoirse Hourigan, Ronell Humes (capt), Jada Pallendine and Marta Boabonay.

Rolling substitutes: Lillian Hart, Amy Haynes, Victoria Campbell and Erin Radburn.

Managers: Bobby Cato and Adem Ali   

Coaches: Jack Manzi, Karla Parker, Kiki Chrisofi and Kunjal Kabade.

Ashford Town (Middlesex): Emma Vigolo, Amya Kinnane, Alissa Down (capt), Guiseppina Carnivale, Kylin Hays, Jordanne Hoesli-Atkins, Aimee Durn, Hannah Duncan, Martha Riley, Ashley Cheatley and Nicole Leys.

Rolling substitutes: Millie Constantine, Gabby Bishop, Ellie Luscombe, Brogan Moore and Sophie Shults.

Manager: Adam Frayling   

Coaches: Callum O’Connell and Kieren O’Connell 

Physio: Dan Harvey.

Referee: Esther Perry

Assistant Referees: Adrianna Bucur and Sarah Texter   

Fourth Official: Natalie Reddicks

Attendance: 170

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn