Under 14 Trophy match photo


Jim Taylor

The final of the Middlesex FA Ron Plunkett Under 14 Trophy was played on Sunday, 19th May at Rectory Park. This competition was introduced to provide an extra level, with an increased chance of success, for the boys’ teams of Middlesex affiliated clubs that were playing in the lower divisions of their leagues. This is the third season that this final has been held. Although the competition commenced in season 2020-21, only one round could be played in that season, before the covid pandemic.

This season’s final was between Hillingdon Abbots, who play in the Harrow Youth League and Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Bucks, who are members of the Surrey Youth League Conference Division.

The holders of this trophy were AEK Youth Black, who recorded a convincing 5-0 victory over Harrow Stars in last season’s final at Rectory Park. 

32 teams entered this season’s competition.

Both teams had scored plenty of goals in the 4 matches that they had played in this season’s competition. Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Bucks had scored 30 times and Hillingdon Abbots 29. However, the Beavers had conceded 9 goals, while Abbots’ defences had been breached just once. Each team was drawn at home on only one occasion.

Hillingdon Abbots had reached the final by beating Hanwell Town Youth White 11-0 away in round 1, Lpossa Youth Red 6-1 away in round 2, Wealdstone Youth Blues 8-0 away in the quarter-final and Sandgate Youth Colts 4-0 at home in the semi-final.

Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Bucks beat Ickenham Youth Panthers 14-1 at home in round 1, Halliford Colts 6-4 away in round 2, New Salamis Youth Red 5-0 away in the quarter-final and Ashford Town (Middlesex) Juniors 5-4 away in the semi-final.

Matches in this competition are played over 35 minutes in each half.

Hillingdon Abbots produced a splendid performance to overwhelm the Beavers, who never gave up and continued to contribute to a very entertaining game. The quality of the Abbots’ passing game was an absolute joy to watch. They were 3-0 up at the interval and added 4 more goals in the second half.   Hampton’s lone reply came after the Abbots’ 5th goal. The final score was 7-1.

The first action of the game saw Hampton keeper, Luke Larsen saving low down from Joshua Barcessat.

Abbots’ Nicklas Sutherland displayed some clever ball control to make space but he was thwarted by the weight of numbers.

Lewis Matthews, the Abbots’ keeper left his area to clear from Tom Hammond, who had burst through the middle. Lewis then saved from Tom again.

A good Abbots’ passing movement set up Aiden O’Connor to put his side ahead with a cross shot after 15 minutes. The keeper got his hands to the ball but couldn’t prevent it entering the net.

Aiden O'Connor (out of picture) puts Abbots 1-0 ahead

Another run through the middle by Tom Hammond was halted by a well-timed tackle.

Nicklas Sutherland’s shot from around 25 yards was wide.

Kassien Rus finished another good Abbots’ passing movement by bouncing a shot onto the crossbar.

Hillingdon Abbots went further ahead after 20 minutes, when Nicklas and Ellis Hendin released Cheikh N’Dour to fire into the top of the net.

Cheikh N'Dour shoots...

... to score Abbots' second goal

Luke Larsen saved from Tate McLeod. Then Nicklas shot narrowly wide of the post.

Tate netted in the 23rd minute, following good work by Nicklas and Joshua but was adjudged to be offside.

At the other end, Abbots’ defender, Harrison Gage made a timely interception, with a header to his goalkeeper.

Luke Larsen saved a low drive from Nicklas and then dived at Aadi Sequeira’s feet.

Nicklas, Aadi and Joshua all combined in a move which enabled Aiden O’Connor to score Abbots’ third goal with a low shot in the 29th minute.

Aiden O'Connor shoots to score Abbots' third goal

The Beavers hit back immediately before the interval. Tom Hammond battled his way into the Abbots penalty area but was crowded out. Then Lewis Matthews saved his low shot.

Lewis pushed Isaac Thompson-Cooper’s long shot for a corner. Joe Hosey’s run was ended by defensive numbers.

Half-time score: Hillingdon Abbots 3 Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Bucks 0

Aadi Sequeira scored Abbots’ 4th goal with a low shot inside the 1st minute of the second half.

Aadi Sequeira shoots...

... to put Abbots four up

Cheikh N’Dour’s shot was too high. Tate McLeod’s drive was saved by Luke Larsen.

Hampton’s Fred Adriaenssens was set up by Tom Hammond and Joe Hosey but his shot rebounded from the woodwork.

Nicklas Sutherland finished another good move, in the 10th minute of the second half, to net his side’s 5th goal.

Nicklas Sutherland (10) nets Abbots' fifth goal

Luke Larsen conceded an indirect freekick for handling a back pass. He saved Nicklas’ shot.

Luke saved from Aadi, who had been set up by Nicklas.

The Beavers then fought back again.

Lewis Matthews saved from Joe Hosey, after a good Hampton build up.

Joe Hosey released Isaac Thompson-Cooper, who was dispossessed by Ellis Hendin’s timely tackle.

Farah Khalid picked up a loose ball and netted for the Beavers, to reduce the arrears.

Farah Khalid shoots to score Hampton's goal

Luke Larsen saved Tate McLeod’s high shot.

In the 25th minute of the half, Kassien Rus, Cheikh and Nicklas combined to enable the latter to hit the ball into the top corner of the net, for the Abbots’ 6th goal.

Nicklas (10) scores Abbots' sixth goal

Luke Larsen took Ellis Hendin’s long freekick high up.

Samuel Zaire netted Nicklas’ pass from close range in the 31st minute of the half, for Hillingdon Abbot’s 7th goal.

Samuel Zaire nets Abbots' seventh goal

Full-time score: Hillingdon Abbots 7 Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Bucks 1

The referee, George Slade and his team contributed to the quality of the action. George controlled the proceedings firmly and efficiently.

We were delighted to welcome as Guest of Honour, Pauline Plunkett, the wife of the late Ron Plunkett, together with their son, Gareth. The Under 14 Cup was named after Ron, as a tribute to his dedicated work for grassroots football throughout his lifetime. Pauline was introduced to the teams and match officials before the kick off and she presented the Trophy and individual mementoes after the match. She chose the inspirational Hillingdon Abbots’ midfielder cum striker, Nicklas Sutherland as Player of the Match.


Hillingdon Abbots: Lewis Matthews (captain), Harrison Gage, Samuel Zaire, Nicklas Sutherland, Aadi Sequeira, Ellis Hendin, Ben Alexander, Tate McLeod, Cheikh N’Dour. Joshua Barcessat and Kassien Rus.

Rolling substitutes: Jonathan Boturao Camarena, Aiden O’Connor and Oliver Grafton.

Manager: Steven Sutherland   

Assistant Manager: Craig Sapsford

Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Bucks: Luke Larsen, Charlie Walters, Dan Hosey, Joe Hughes, Max Vera-Petcus, Cameron Ellen, Fred Adriaenssens, Tom Hammond (captain), Alfie Fuller, Isaac Thompson Cooper and Joe Hosey.

Rolling substitutes: Gurdeep Singh Bindra, Farah Khalid and Jayden Singh Golar.

Coach: George Fuller   

Assistant Coach: Clive Ellen.   

Referee: George Slade   

Assistant Referees: Luca Van Dorp and Aleksander Yordanov   

Fourth Official: Kissi Williams.

Attendance: 94.

This match was the 25th and last Middlesex FA cup final of the 2023/24 season. All of us that have been involved have, as usual, welcomed this milestone with a feeling of relief and satisfaction. We can reflect on a job well done. The organisation of these finals is a massive undertaking, spread over the season’s closing months. It was the overall responsibility of our Cup Final Co-ordinator, Jacob Ballheimer, supported by his colleagues, Daniel May, Oliver Ellery, Nick Phipps and Rebecca Chapman. Our congratulations and thanks are due to them all and to the other members of our HQ team. This is also extended to the members of the Competitions Committee and the other councillors and volunteers involved. Our thanks our also due to the management and staff responsible for the running of Rectory Park for their invaluable input at the ten finals that were staged there. 

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn