Hendon v Hayes and Yeading


Jim Taylor

Middlesex affiliated clubs enjoyed a very successful day in their FA Vase and FA Trophy 4th Round matches, played on Saturday last, 13th January. Each of the 6 clubs involved won their ties. They produced some outstanding performances, following up, when necessary, by excelling in their penalty shoot-outs. 

FA Vase

Both of our representatives in the FA Vase won home ties in penalty shoot-outs. The excitement and eventual jubilation at Berkeley Fields was intense, as North Greenford United overcame a very good Devon based Brixham AFC, from the Western League Premier Division. After an entertaining but goalless first half, The Blues took the lead in the 56th minute, through Harvey Killeen’s well struck low drive. However, within 3 more minutes, the visitors had equalised and then taken the lead. Anitoda Mano then headed home from a corner, to make the score 2-2. The visitors hit an upright with their first penalty kick and United converted all of their kicks, to win shoot-out 5-3 and progress to the 5th round, for the first time in their history. The enthusiastic and sporting Brixham travelling support was a credit to the club.

Fellow Combined Counties Premier Division North side, Hilltop played their match, against Erith Town of the Southern Counties East Premier Division, at Burnham FC’s 1878 Stadium and won the penalty shoot-out 3-2 after a 1-1 draw.

In the 5th Round, which is scheduled for 10th February, Hilltop have been drawn at home to Romford while North Greenford United are away to Tilbury,

FA Trophy

All 4 Middlesex clubs engaged in the FA Trophy were successful in away ties. Two of them, Hendon and Hampton & Richmond Borough disposed of National League opposition, former Football League clubs, Oldham Athletic and Hartlepool United respectively.

Hendon, from the Southern League Premier South, won 2-1 at Boundary Park. Skipper, Joe White put them ahead in the 67th minute. Oldham equalised from the penalty spot, in the 3rd minute of added time but Nico Muir restored The Greens’ lead in the 96th minute.

Keeper, Adam Desbois was Hampton & Richmond Borough’s hero against Hartlepool United, at Victoria Park. After starring during the previous 90 minutes, which finished goalless, Adam made the only save in the penalty shoot-out, to win the tie for the National League South club.

Two goals from Marvin Armstrong enabled Barnet to come from behind at Radcliffe’s Stainton Park, to beat the Northern Premier League leaders by two goals to one.

A well struck half volley by Tahvon Campbell, in the 52nd minute, gave Wealdstone victory in a hard-fought match against Chelmsford City of the National League South. at their Melbourne Stadium.

In the 5th Round on 10th February, Wealdstone and Hendon have been drawn against each other at Grosvenor Vale. Hampton & Richmond Borough will host Macclesfield and Barnet will visit Welling United.

Report: Jim Taylor                                                                                    

Photography: Derek Beech