George Moore (11) shoots...


Jim Taylor

Uxbridge FC were one of the nine Middlesex clubs in action in the First Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup, on the weekend of 2nd and 3rd September.   As the Reds are currently ground-sharing at Slough Town’s impressive Arbour Park stadium, while their Honeycroft home is being redeveloped, this game was played on Sunday, 3rd.    Your reporting team was in attendance.

Uxbridge had previously beaten Tunbridge Wells 3-2 away in the Extra  Preliminary Round and Corinthian Casuals  5-1 in a home Preliminary Round replay, after a 2-2 draw at Tolworth.   Cray Valley (PM) had beaten Lordswood 4-1 at home in the Preliminary Round, following a 1-1 away draw.

Cray Valley had the edge in the first half of the match, which was played on a warm sunny afternoon.   They scored twice before the interval and constantly threatened the overworked home defence.   The second period was more even but Uxbridge were unable to break through the visitors’ rearguard, which saw the match out, while a further goal was added to their team’s tally.   The hot conditions obviously affected all of the participants, as the match eventually drifted to its conclusion.

Uxbridge started brightly.   George Moore tried a low shot from outside the penalty box, which keeper, Sam Freeman fielded comfortably.   Sam then took Bernard Mensah’s angled shot on the turn high up.   The keeper then took Josh Andrews’ cross off of Bernard’s head.

Keeper Sam Freeman saves a high shot from Bernard Mensah

However, the Millers went ahead in the 9th minute.   Kyrell Lisbie robbed a defender in the Uxbridge penalty area and squared the ball for Freddie Parker to tap it home.

Kyrell Lisbie squares for Freddy Parker (9) to put Cray Valley 1-0 up

Almost immediately, Hassan Ibrahiym had a good chance to double his side’s advantage, when he hit a loose ball over the crossbar from a central position around 10 yards out.

A well-placed Hassan Ibrahiym (18) clears the Uxbridge bar

Then Sonny Black got his head to Hassan’s corner kick but was unable to direct the ball downwards into the net.

Uxbridge hit back and Bernard Mensah had a shot from close range charged down, following a corner.

Kyrell Lisbie continued to make dangerous forays for the visitors.   He broke down the right and crossed to Hassan, whose shot was blocked.   Sonny Black fed Freddie Parker but Freddie’s shot was charged down.   Sonny netted the rebound but was adjudged offside.

Sonny Black (8) nets but is adjudged offside

Uxbridge’s Brad Pagliaroli released Josh Andrew up the wing.    Josh’s cross found Bernard Mensah, whose shot was saved by the keeper.

Michael Ademiluyi broke up the Millers’ left and pulled the ball back to Hassan Ibrahiym, who mishit his shot.

The Millers scored their 2nd goal after 30 minutes.   Tom Chambers took the ball down the wing and crossed for Freddie Parker to set up Kyrell Lisbie, who made no mistake from close range.

Kyrell Lisbey (17) puts Cray Valley 2-0 ahead

The visitors continued to make chances.   Hassan cut in and fired across goal but his curling shot went narrowly wide.   Matthew Vigor set up Hassan, who cut in and fired low just past the far post.   Hassan released Michael Ademiluyi, whose shot was saved by keeper Loris Marcimain’s foot.

Hassan Ibrahiym's curling shot is narrowly wide

As the interval approached, Bernard Mensah worked through the Millers’ defence but Dean Morgan’s resulting shot was blocked.

Score at half time: Uxbridge 0   Cray Valley (PM) 2

The first serious attempt on goal after the break came from the Red’s George Moore, who tested Sam Freeman with a drive from the edge of the penalty box.   Sam saved at the expense of a corner.

George Moore (11) shoots and Sam Freeman saves

Then, at the other end, Michael Ademiluyi’s left footed drive, from just inside the box, was saved low down by Loris Marcimain.

Loris Marcimain saves from Michael Ademiluyi (11)

Uxbridge skipper, Alan Hedley, put in a probable goal-saving tackle on Kyrell Leslie, who had fastened onto a through ball.

Kyrell Lisbey is through but Alan Hedley gets a tackle in

Sam Fletcher made a good save from Dean Morgan, pushing his well struck shot for a corner, after Dean had been put through by George Moore.

Michael Ademiluyi sent Kyrell Lisbie clear but keeper Loris Marcimain made a good close-range stop.

Uxbridge came closest to pulling a goal back when an incisive move, involving George Moore and Dean Morgan, ended with the ball flying across the goalmouth, just out of reach of the incoming Bernard Mensah at the far post.

A cross flies past the keeper and the incoming Bernard Mensah

Almost immediately, in the 69th minute, at the other end, Freddie Parker set up Matthew Vigor and Loris Marcimain pushed the latter’s shot onto his crossbar.   The ball went back to Hassan Ibrahiym, who played it to Matthew, who netted the Millers’ third goal from close range.

Matthew Vigor (16) hits Cray Valley's third goal

This goal finished the match as a meaningful contest.   Uxbridge had given their all but had not been able to break through the Millers’ defences.   The humid conditions were affecting both sides and even the match officials.   Stoppages for cramp or minor injuries were becoming increasingly frequent and players from both sides were going through the motions.  

Satisfied that their job was done, Cray Valley took off two of their main strikers.   They made further chances, however.   Loris left his box to thwart Denzel Gayle.   A freekick from around 25 yards by Adam Coombes was blocked for a corner.   Finally, Jensen Grant headed Clement Asiedu’s cross over the bar from close range.

Final Score:  Uxbridge 0   Cray Valley (PM) 3


Uxbridge: Loris Marcimain, Josh Andrew, Bryan Taylor, Sean McGuinness (Ryan Haugh 46), Alan Hedley (capt), Lewis Cole, Brad Pagliaroli (Ezra Ndukuba 46), Kensley Maloney, Bernard Mensah, Dean Morgan and George Moore (Alex Paine 80).

Unused substitutes: Alex Witham, Lewis Patrick, Michael Bryan and Shaun Preddie.

Cray Valley (PM): Sam Freeman, Barney Williams, Thomas Chambers (Clement Asiedu 38), Arthur Lee (capt), Sonny Black, Freddie Parker (Adam Coombes 70), Michael Ademiluyi, Jensen Grant, Matthew Vigor, Kyrell Lisbie (Denzel Gayle 70) and Hassan Ibrahiym.

Unused substitutes: Julien Anau and Aidan Wicks (Gk).

Referee: Neal Templey   Assistant Referees: Jack Hobbs and Paul Herbert.

Attendance: 124

Cray Valley (PM) have been drawn away to Northwood in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography provided by Chris Benn