The handshakes


Hanworth Villa entertained Chertsey Town in the First Qualifying Round of the Isuzu FA Trophy at The Ranch, their Rectory Meadow HQ.   Your roving reporting team were there.

The match, between two evenly matched sides was contested in uncomfortably hot conditions.   Chertsey Town went ahead midway through the first half.   An equaliser by Villa after 2nd minutes of added time, took the game to a penalty shoot-out.   After the first 4 kicks had been successfully converted, Villa failed with their 3rd and 4th kicks to leave the Curfews with a winning 4-2 advantage.

The opening exchanges were somewhat tentative and neither custodian was unduly troubled for some time.   Villa’s long throw specialist, Sam Merson launched an effort into the Curfews’ goalmouth but Bruno Robertson-Tingles’ back header was taken by Nick Jupp.

Sam Merson's long throw is headed across the Chertsey goalmouth

George Frith broke up the right for Chertsey, Toby Little connected with his cross but the shot was blocked.   Alex Fisher let fly from outside the box and won a corner for the Curfews.

Guy Ansah Palmer released Sam Mead up the Villains’ wing but his subsequent cross was overhit and couldn’t attract a touch.

At the other end, the dangerous Sam Omperon crossed low to George Frith, whose control let him down.   George’s first touch ran to keeper, Gary Ross.

Theo Crawford’s low cross was blocked by keeper, Nick Jupp’s feet for a Villains’ corner.

Chertsey Town took the lead in the 27th minute through Sam Omperon, who drove low across the keeper into the corner of the net.

Sam Omperon puts Chertsey ahead

Villa hit back.   Sam Merson’s long throw into the goal area was headed away.   Then Sam’s freekick from outside the box met a similar fate.   Then Sam put Guy Ansah-Palmer clear up the wing but his cross went behind.

Sam Omperon continued to trouble the home defence and his angled low shot just missed the far post.

Sam Omperon (9) shoots across goal beyond the far post

Score at half time:  Hanworth Villa 0   Chertsey Town 1 

The second period saw an increase in the goalmouth action.

Steven Gody came on for the Villains immediately after the interval and made several individual sorties on the left.

Conor Lee made a run for the visitors and although his cross didn’t immediately find a colleague, it produced a freekick.   Oliver Khinda’s kick was headed away.

Sam Omperon was released through the middle but his shot was high and wide.

Bruno Robertson-Tingle got his head to Sam Merson’s wide freekick but Nick Jupp saved.

Sam Omperon worked through the home defence and laid the ball back to Conor Lee, who fired wide of the upright.

Steven Gody continued to make challenging runs.   He cut in and released a curling shot, which was headed clear.   He then cleverly worked himself into a good position but hit his shot wide.

Sam Mead’s shot, aimed towards the top corner of the net was comfortably taken by Nick Jupp.

Sam Mead's (12) shot towards the top corner of the net is kept out by Nicholas Jupp

Sam Omperon fired across goal and Gareth Chendlik connected with his head.   Gary Ross took the ball high up.

Villa kept up the pressure for an equaliser.   A low drive from Steven Gody was deflected wide.   Sam Merson shot just over from a 25-yard freekick taken in a central position.

Steven Gody lobbed into the Curfews’ box but Sam Mead was outnumbered by defenders.

Chertsey’s Luke Robertson broke clear and fed Sam Omperon, who shot wide.

Gary Ross had to leave his area in a hurry to kick a through ball away from Gareth Chendlik.

The Villains’ persistence was rewarded in the 93rd minute, when Ben Geraghty evaded several defenders to net from close range.

Ben Geraghty shoots and scores Villa's equaliser

Sam Merson fired across goal and past the post, following good work by Steven Gody.   Ben Geraghty’s shot was blocked.  Then Rayan Djouadj got his head to a wide free kick by Louis Collins but Nick Jupp saved.

Rayan Djouadj (5) heads a wide free kick on but Nicholas Jupp saves

Score at full time:  Hanworth Villa 1   Chertsey Town 1 

Sam Merson successfully took the first penalty for Hanworth Villa.   His example was followed by Gareth Chendlik (Chertsey), George Wells (Villa) and Conor Lee (Chertsey) to make the score 2-2 after 2 kicks each.

Then Louis Collins hit Villa’s 3rd penalty past the post.   Sam Omperon put the Curfews ahead, despite Gary Ross getting his hands to the shot.

Louis Collins hits Villa's third penalty wide

Villa’s 4th penalty, taken by Luca Cardines, was saved by Nick Jupp and Chertsey’s win was sealed by Liam Flanagan.   Gary Ross again got to the shot but couldn’t keep it out.

Luca Cardines' penalty is saved

Result of penalty shoot-out:   Hanworth Villa 2   Chertsey Town 4


Hanworth Villa: Gary Ross, Guy Ansah-Palmer, Ben Geraghty, Matthew Gbio (Luca Cardines 45 min), Rayan Djouadj, George Wells (capt), Theo Crawford, Kyen Nicholas (Steven Gody 46), Bruno Robertson-Tingle, Sam Merson and Sam Mead (Louis Collins 87).

Unused substitutes: Seanen McKillop, Kyron Richards, Jay Hines and Ben Wilkins (gkpr)

Manager: Simon Haughney

Chertsey Town: Nick Jupp, Conor Lee, Alex Fisher, Liam Flanagan, Louie Bouwers, Rob Sheridan, Toby Little (Oliver Khinda 45), Luke Robertson (capt), Sam Omperon, Gianluca Botti (Gareth Chendlik 68) and George Frith (Shaun McAuley 89)

Unused substitutes: Jack Beadle and Paul McCarthy

Manager: Mark Harper

Referee: Joseph Casey   Assistant Referees: Daniel Merrall and William Prior

Attendance: 281

Only Southall of the Middlesex clubs engaged in this round of the Trophy progressed to the next round, beating Chichester City 2-1 at home.   Uxbridge lost 2-1 at home to Sevenoaks Town, Northwood 3-0 at Ramsgate and Ashford Town (Middlesex) 2-1 at Sittingbourne.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography provided by Chris Benn