Anthony O'Connor beats the keeper to the ball...


Jim Taylor

Six Middlesex clubs were in action in the Second Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup, on Saturday, 16th September.   Your roving reporting team took the opportunity to attend a tie involving two of them, even though it involved travelling into Buckinghamshire to do so.

We visited Burnham FC’s 1878 Stadium, where Southall currently groundshare, to watch the ‘All's home tie against Hampton & Richmond Borough.   

Southall had reached this stage of the competition with victories over Chichester City (1-0 at home) in the Extra Preliminary Round, Bearsted (2-1 away) in the Preliminary Round and Beaconsfield Town (3-2 away after a 2-2 home draw) in the First Qualifying Round.   This match is their 6th cup tie of the season so far, as they are also engaged in the FA Trophy.   Hampton & Richmond Borough’s FA Cup action started with this match.

This is the ‘All's 98th season of FA Cup football but the last time that they have gone this far in the competition was in 2005 and previous to that was 1983.

We did not regret our choice of games.   The fortunate spectators were treated to an enthralling cup tie, which despite the very hot conditions, started at a fast pace and rarely let up.  Southall matched their step 2 opponents throughout.   The Beavers led by a single goal at the interval but the ‘All equalised with just over 10 minutes of normal time remaining.   However, the visitors clinched victory with a superbly struck goal in added time.

Hampton went onto the attack immediately and forced a corner.   Defender, Ruaridh Donaldson went up for the kick and connected with a volley, which Michael Edegbe fielded.

A few minutes later, Michael saved well at close range from Ruaridh, who had been released by Jordan Cheadle.

Southall hit back.   Azeez Alabi broke on the left but his cross was collected by keeper, Adam Desbois.   Jaden Thompson-Brissett made a penetrating run but his shot was blocked.

Ben Seymour was released by Sam Deadfield and put the visitors ahead in the 12th minute, despite a despairing dive at his feet by Michael Edegbe.

Ben Seymour (9) puts Hampton 1-0 up

Hampton’s Isaac Pitblado made several runs down the left wing but his subsequent crosses were not utilized.

Southall came back into the match, as the mid-first half drinks break approached.   Dylan Kearney’s cross found Anthony O’Connor, who couldn’t guide his header down.

Anthony O'Connor (9) heads wide

Former Hampton player, David Amate’s ball into the middle was touched on by Luke Heneghan but keeper Desbois got to it before Dylan.

‘All centre back, Abdul Nurein set up an attack with a great long cross-field pass but the ball was eventually scrambled away.

After the brief welcome stoppage for liquids, David Amate fed Anthony O’Connor, who put the ball into the middle, where Adam Desbois foiled Darreon Mark.   Then David’s dangerous cross was headed out by Luis Fernandez.

Southall set up more attacks but were unable to make a breakthrough.   Luke Heneghan’s shot was headed away.   A good interception broke up a well-worked move involving Dylan. Anthony and Ryan Hope.   A through ball released Anthony but his cross was also intercepted.   Luke Heneghan’s corner was headed onto Joshua Green, whose shot was charged down.

Azeez Alabi’s long range drive was held by Adam Desbois.    Then Ryan Hope won the ball and fed Luke Heneghan, whose centre landed on top of the goal-net.

Score at half time:  Southall 0   Hampton & Richmond Borough 1

Southall opened the second half with a shot from Dylan Kearney, which hit the foot of the upright.  

Dylan Kearney shoots and hits the Hampton upright

The Beaver’s classy defender, Jordan Thomas, showed excellent control before cutting in and releasing a shot which was blocked.

Jordan Thomas' shot is blocked

Jaden Thompson-Brissett was released by Luke Heneghan, but was thwarted by the advancing Adam Desbois.   

Jaden Thompson-Brissett is thwarted by Adam Debois

In a prolonged Hampton raid Michael Edegbe pulled off a good save and Ben Seymour hit the post and then netted the rebound.   However, he was adjudged offside.

Ben Seymour nets but is adjudged offside

Sam Deadfield fastened onto a through ball but his low drive was saved by Michael Edegbe.

Jaden Thompson-Brissett sped up the wing and cut in but his shot was parried by Adam Desbois.

Adam beat Dylan Kearney to the ball and the latter was hurt in the subsequent collision and had to be substituted.   Dylan was cautioned as a result of the incident.

Adam Debois beats Dylan Kearney to the ball

Jaden put Anthony O’Connor through but keeper Desbois left his penalty area to kick clear.

The ‘All had a good chance to equalise when Anthony made a good run and put the ball onto William Montague’s head.   However, William’s header was just too high.

William Montague's header is just too high

Michael Edegbe palmed out Jake Gray’s drive from around 25 yards for a corner and then punched the resultant corner kick away.

Michael Edegbe punches Jake Gray's corner away

Anthony O’Connor equalised for Southall after 79 minutes, when he beat  Adam Desbois to a long ball up the middle of the pitch and headed home.

Anthony O'Connor beats the keeper to the ball to score the equaliser

A period of tight midfield play followed with a replay looking likely.   However, the Beavers retook the lead in the 5th minute of added time, through a tremendous long-range shot by Sam Deadfield into the top corner of net.   It was a fitting goal to win a great match.

Sam Deadfield's winning goal

Both teams deserve our congratulations on their performances.   The final result was obviously very disappointing for Southall but they can be very proud of their tremendous efforts, which demonstrated considerable promise for the future.

Final Score:  Southall 1   Hampton & Richmond Borough 2      


Southall: Michael Edegbe, David Amate (Dimitris Savva 67 mins), Azeez Alabi (capt), Ryan Hope, Abdul Nurein, Joshua Green, Jaden Thompson-Brissett, Dylan Kearney (William Montague 58), Anthony O’Connor, Luke Heneghan (Jack Roper 90) and Darreon Mark

Unused substitutes: Carl Pearce, Kevin Diomande, Frankie Taylor and Jaiden Celestine-Charles

Manager: Max Howell   Coaches: Jesse Smith, Darron Wilkinson and Josh Stroud    Physio: Ben Briggs and Don Bennett

Hampton & Richmond Borough: Adam Desbois. Jordan Thomas, Ruaridh Donaldson, Luis Fernandez, Jordan Cheadle, Ben Seymour, Jake Gray (capt), Sam Deadfield, Alex Soloman (Dan Wishart 51), Isaac Pitblado (Connor Kurran-Brown 82) and Mason Bloomfield (Tiemo Vazagashvili 85)

Unused substitutes: Ollie Davis, Rob Hall, Alfie Whittingham and Callum O’Keefe

Manager: Mel Gwinnett   Assistant Manager: Steve Bates   Coaches: James Comley and. Forrest Mahop   Physio: Dillon Hall

Referee: Robert Ablitt   Assistant Referees: Nick Blogg and Oscar Whiting

Attendance: 242

Two of the other Middlesex clubs engaged in this round progressed.   Enfield Town won 3-0 at home to Felixstowe & Walton United.   All of their goals were scored in the first 14 minutes by Youngs (pen), Knight and Payne.

Hanworth Villa won at Knaphill, through Kyen Nicholas’s goal in the 86th minute.

Northwood drew 2-2 at home with Cray Valley (PM), after twice coming from behind.   Alexander- Greenaway and Williams scored their goals.

Hayes & Yeading United lost 2-0 at home to Slough Town.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography provided by Chris Benn