The team handshake


Jim Taylor

Uxbridge wound up the role played by Middlesex clubs, in this season’s Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round, on Wednesday, 23rd August, on the 3G surface of Slough Town’s Arbour Park.   They faced Corinthian Casuals in a replay, having drawn 2-2 on the preceding Saturday at Tolworth, after twice taking the lead. 

The Reds had previously beaten Tunbridge Wells 3-2 away in the Extra Preliminary Round, while Corinthian Casuals had received a bye.

This replay was Uxbridge’s first competitive game of their ground-share at the impressive Arbour Park, while their Honeycroft home is being redeveloped.   Your roving reporting team was in attendance.

Uxbridge dominated the match.   They took the lead in the 15th minute and although the Casuals equalised just four minutes later, they added two more goals before the interval, to lead 3-1.   They then comfortably secured their place in the First Qualifying Round by scoring twice more in the second half.   This was their third victory over Casuals in an FA Cup Preliminary Round tie, as they had also been victorious in 1985 and 1994.

The Reds immediately took the initiative.   Ezra Ndukuba broke through and cut in from the right but hit the post.   Then Lewis Patrick’s cross was deflected onto the framework by a defender’s foot.

Ezra Ndukuba (7) hits the Casuals' post

They went ahead in the 15th minute, through Ezra Ndukuba, who netted after keeper Mohammed Otuyo pushed Alex Witham’s shot out to him.

Ezra nets Uxbridge's first goal

The lead only lasted for 4 minutes before Reece Deakin’s freekick, from the right just outside the penalty box, took a deflection from Bernard Mensah and wrong-footed home keeper, Loris Marcimain.

Reece Deakin's free kick is deflected in for the equaliser

Uxbridge hit back immediately.   A good cross-field ball from Alex Witham found Ezra Ndukuba, whose shot was charged down.   A couple of dangerous in-swinging corners were successfully defended by Casuals and then Ezra’s threatening run was thwarted by Oscar Walton at the expense of a corner.

The Casuals' keeper pushes out Alex Witham's low cross...

The Reds regained the lead in the 34th minute, when Alex Witham’s low cross was again pushed out by keeper Otuyo, this time to Alan Hedley, who netted.

...and Alan Headley (8) puts Reds 2-1 ahead

The third home goal followed 2 minutes later, when Ezra picked up a loose ball from a misdirected pass, flew down the wing and netted from an acute angle.

Ezra (7) scores Reds' third goal

As the interval approached, a curling shot on the turn from Casuals’ winger, Elliott Cannon-Gibson brought a fine save from Loris Marcimain.

Score at half time: Uxbridge 3   Corinthian Casuals 1

Uxbridge kept up the pressure.   Ezra Ndukuba’s shot was parried by Mohammed Otuyo but Lewis Cole hit the rebound just wide.

Luke Paris dives to head...

Uxbridge’s 4th goal, in the 56th minute, came from a diving header by Luke Paris from Lewis Cole’s wide freekick.

...Uxbridge's fourth goal

Casual’s substitute Donnel Moore met a cross from Adonai Dacruz but Loris Marcimain saved comfortably.

Loris saves from Donnel Moore (15)

Bernard Mensah Jnr completed the scoring for Uxbridge in the 66th minute, following some neat approach work.

Bernard Mensah completes the scoring

The Reds continued to dominate possession but didn’t add to their score.   Lewis Cole’s shot was charged down, after he had been released by Ezra and Alan Hedley headed narrowly wide from a corner.                                                      

Final Score:  Uxbridge 5   Corinthian Casuals 1


Uxbridge: Loris Marcimain, Josh Andrew, Lewis Patrick, Luke Paris, Shaun Preddie (Michael Bryan 76 mins), Lewis Cole, Ezra Ndukuba, Alan Hedley, Bernard Mensah Jnr (Mal Thomas 76), Dean Morgan and Alex Witham (Anuar Ceesay 79).

Unused substitutes: Alex Paine, Kensley Maloney, Brad Pagliaoli and Bryan Taylor.

Manager: Danny Edwards.

Corinthian Casuals: Mohammed Otuyo, Adonai Dacruz, Oscar Walton, Dylan Cascoe, Dquame Copeland, Callum Morris, Ayomide Majekodunmi, Rmarni Blankson (Jack Lillie 61), Reece Deakin, Elliott Cannon-Gibson (Donnel Moore 51), Maxwell Ndah (Rory Spence 51).

Unused substitutes: Stuart Mortimer, Jason Evans, Abideen Abiade and Travis Prescot.

Manager: Andy Gray

Referee: Jorden Gibson   Assistant Referees: Philip Jones and Kovilen Sawmynaden.

Attendance: 154

Uxbridge will play Cray Valley PM in the First Qualifying Round at Arbour Park on Sunday, 3rd September.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography provided by Chris Benn