Premier Cup match action between CB Hounslow United and Cricklewood Wanderers


Jim Taylor

CB Hounslow United entertained Cricklewood Wanderers in the first round of this season’s Middlesex Premier Cup on Tuesday, 17th October at their Green Lane HQ and your roving team were there. 

The Middlesex Premier Cup was first competed for in the 1980-81 season and the current holders are Rayners Lane FC. 20 teams entered the competition this season.

The teams provided a splendid cup tie on a chilly autumn evening.  They were both intent on playing good attacking football in a sporting manner and the action moved rapidly from end to end. The visitors took a two-goal lead but CB hit back to level the scores before the interval. Wanderers retook the lead twice in the second half but CB equalised each time, to take the contest to penalties. In the shoot-out, Wanderers held the advantage twice but lost out at the sudden death stage. 

Beola Coker won the ball in a tackle, took it on through the home defence and netted to put Cricklewood Wanderers ahead in the 2nd minute.

Beaola Coker (2) puts Wanderers 1-0 up

In the 19th minute, Terryl Harding-Nathan put Wanderers 2 up, with a low shot from the edge of the box, which went through keeper Lee Brompton’s legs. Lee more than made up for this unfortunate error later in the evening.

Terryl Harding-Nathan (9) puts Wanderers 2-0 ahead

CB’s Harry Light released the dangerous Fuad Banire, who was stopped by Antwane Sabag’s timely tackle.

Ilyas Elmabrouk made an incisive run through the home defence, before being stopped by the weight of defensive numbers.

After 32 minutes, a well-directed header by Fuad Benire was pushed for a corner by Wanderers’ goalkeeper, Ben Nicholls. In the subsequent goalmouth action, Keron Horell netted for CB, to reduce their deficit. 

Keron Horell (9) nets from the corner

5 minutes later, Donald Adeosun put CB level with a spectacular drive from around 25 yards.

Donald Adeosun (out of picture) makes it 2-2

Donald then released Fuad but the keeper made a diving save at his feet.

The ball bounced on the top of CB’s crossbar and over, after some frantic goalmouth action.

The ball bounced on top of CB's crossbar

Half time score: CB Hounslow United 2 Cricklewood Wanderers 2

Terryl Harding-Nathan beat the home keeper to connect with a corner but his header just cleared the crossbar.

Racardas Milasius regained the lead for the visitors in the 50th minute, with a rocket shot into the corner of the net.

Racardas Milasius shoots Wanderers' 3-2 ahead

Ben Nicholls saved at close range from Fuad Banire and then Riley White’s shot went through the crowded goalmouth and past the visitors’ upright.

In the 56th minute, Taisei Okawa Marles’s long freekick into the penalty area was converted by Fuad Banire, to make the score 3-3.

Fuad Banire (11) makes it 3-3

CB remained on level terms for little more than a minute, before a defensive mix-up presented the ball to Racardas, who ran it into the empty net.

Racardas Milasius runs the ball into the net for Wanderers' fourth goal

CB Manager, Roy Wright now changed his set up, bringing on 4 of his 5 permitted substitutes. He made the remaining change 6 minutes later.

Ivan Bithamba launched a dangerous ball into the Wanderers’ goalmouth but it failed to attract a touch.

CB made the score 4-4 in the 81st minute. Riley White was fouled on the right, outside the box. Taisei took the freekick and Riley headed home.

Riley White (7) heads home to make the score 4-4

That finished the scoring, despite some hectic goalmouth action at both ends of the field. Wanderers’  Peter Oneoritsebawo-Ette was the nearest to scoring the winner, when his close range shot was blocked.

Score after 90 minutes: CB Hounslow United 4 Cricklewood Wanderers 4

CB went first in the penalty shoot-out. Kyle Monez took their first kick, which Ben Nicholls saved, diving to his right. Jordan Nyang converted his kick for Wanderers. (0-1)

Ben Nicholls saves CB's first penalty

Diogo Costa scored with CB’s second kick and Lee Brompton turned Terryl Harding-Nathan’s shot around the post to put his side on level terms again. (1-1)    

Both of the 3rd pair of penalty takers, Taisei Okawa Marles and Peter Oneoritsebawo-Ette, were successful. (2-2)

Jon Lloyd placed the 4th CB kick wide and Racardas Milasius scored to restore Wanderers’ lead.  (2-3)

Dan Boyden scored with CB’s 5th kick and Lee Brompton saved Kristo Beshiko’s shot to take the shoot-out to sudden death. (3-3)

Riley White blasted his shot high into the Wanderers’ net before Lee put CB into the second round, by making his third penalty save, this one from his opposite number, Ben Nicholls. (4-3)

Lee Brompton saves to win the tie

Penalty shoot-out score: CB Hounslow United 4 Cricklewood Wanderers 3

Both teams deserve credit for providing a great evening’s football. Our congratulations are due to CB Hounslow, who showed great fighting spirit to recover from what seemed to be a losing position on several occasions. Our condolences go to Cricklewood Wanderers, who contributed so much to the occasion, only to lose in a cruel way. Their attitude was exemplary. In fact, the sportsmanship of both sides was very commendable.

The third team on the pitch also contributed significantly. Referee, Ivan Yordanov had a very good match, controlling proceedings well in a low-key but firm and efficient manner. He was ably supported by his Assistant Referees. 


CB Hounslow United: Lee Brompton, Albie Burgess (Charlie Light 58 mins), Ivan Bithamba, Jaiden Brookman (Diogo Costa 58) , Stephen Udeze (capt), Harry Light, Riley White, Taisei Okawa Marles, Keron Horell (Monez Kyle 58), Donald Adeosun (Jon Lloyd 64) and Fuad Banire (Dan Boyden 58).

Manager: Roy Wright  Assistant Manager: Dan De Silva.

Cricklewood Wanderers: Benjamin Nicholls, Beola Coker, Antwane Sabag (capt), Anton Watson-Andrews (David Sholu 69), Racardas Milasius, Terryl Harding-Nathan, Lamar Moor (Kristo Beshiku 79), Ilyas Elmabrouk (Armarni Orji 74), Tyrell Trae Best-Taylor (Jordan Nyang 89), Peter Oneoritsebawo-Ette and Andres Gonzalez Giron (Harry Nicholson 84).

Manager: Okirie Jaephet  Assistant Manager: Abranches Anthony  Physio: Rida Dahir

Referee: Ivan Yordanov  Assistant Referees: Mohammed Shahib Shohel and David Jones.

Report: Jim Taylor.
Photos: Chris Benn.

Chris & Jim’s Picks
Full set of photos