FA Trophy match action


Jim Taylor

Hendon hosted Eastbourne Borough, from the National League South in the 2nd Round Proper of the FA Trophy on Saturday last, 18th November and your roving team were fortunate enough to be there.

Hendon reached this stage with a well-earned 2-1 home victory over Walton & Hersham in Round 1 Proper. They had previously beaten AFC Sudbury 3-1 at home in the 3rd Qualifying Round. Eastbourne Borough (who are nicknamed “The Sports” after previously being named Langley Sports) entered the competition at this stage. 

The match was played in dull and overcast conditions and the floodlights were switched on soon after kick off. However, the quality of the action soon brightened up the mood of those present.

Hendon deservedly progressed into Round 3 with a 2-0 victory, with two second half goals of the highest quality.

The Greens went onto the attack immediately and in the first minute Sam Adenola’s cross into the visitors’ box produced a corner. Play switched to the other end and home keeper, Matt Kerbey saved at Jay Beckford’s feet, after Jay had picked up a through ball.

Matt Kerbey saves at Jay Beckford's feet

A freekick by Jay, from around 35 yards, was nodded back across goal but there were no takers. In the 16th minute, Sports’ Fletcher Holman was tripped in the penalty area.

Fletcher Holman is tripped...

However, Matt Kerbey saved DeCarrey Sheriff’s kick, diving to his left.

... and Matt Kerbey saves DeCarrey Sheriff's penalty

The Greens brought visiting custodian, Harrison Foulkes into the action. He fell on the ball to thwart Dave Diedhiou and then, in separate incidents, saved at the feet of Sam Adenola and then Joe White.

Hendon made several more chances. Niko Muir released Joe White, who shot narrowly wide. Kai Brosnan also fired wide. Ethan Light went up for Dave Diedhiou’s long freekick, which he headed over the bar. Then Joe White’s glancing header from Sam’s cross went past the upright.

Ethan Light (6) heads Dave Diedhious' free kick over the bar

The best chance of the first half went to Niko, in the 39th minute, when he shot over the crossbar from close range, after being set up by a clever dummy by Joe White.

Half-time score: Hendon 0 Eastbourne Borough 0

The Greens immediately resumed the attack and Kai Brosnan released Blaise Riley-Snow, who shot wide from outside the box. Then, in the 3rd minute of the half, Dave Diedhiou hit the inside of the post with an overhead kick.

Dan Matsuzaka made an important interception for Hendon, charging down a shot from the well-placed Lucas Defise.

Hendon opened the scoring in the 57th minute with a well worked goal. Kai Brosnan tricked his way up the left, evading several dubious challenges, before squaring the ball to Niko Muir. Niko passed to Joe White, who set up Sam Adenola to net with a diagonal low shot into the corner of the goal.

Sam Adenola shoots...

... to put Hendon ahead

Kai Brosnan made another run up the left and cut in but was caught by a challenge which resulted in him shooting wide. Kai then brought a very good close range save from keeper, Harrison Foulkes.

The Sports battled their way back into the game but a cross from Jay Beckford, after good run up the right, failed to attract a touch.

The Greens doubled their lead in the 74th minute, through Niko Muir, who finished off some excellent approach work by Sam Adenola.

Sam Adenola squares...

... to Niko Muir (10) who nets Hendon's second goal

The visitors kept pressing in search of a goal, mainly using the long ball into the box, which contrasted with Hendon’s controlled passing approach work. Matt Kerbey leapt to take a long freekick from Dan Quick.

The Eastbourne keeper touched a cross shot from Sam Adenola onto his bar.

Harrison Foulkes turns a cross-shot from Sam Adenola onto his bar

Then Alfie Bridgman hit the Hendon post with a shot from wide on the left.

Newly introduced home substitute Florian Endouvou-Ada cut in but his shot was blocked by Freddie Carter. Dave Diedhiou’s shot just missed the angle of post and bar. Kai Brosnan worked into the visitors’ box again and tested Harrison Foulkes, who deflected his drive past the upright.

Kai Brosnan shoots...

... and Harrison Foulkes saves

7 minutes additional time was indicated and Eastbourne pumped some more balls into the box, without breaching the Hendon defence.

Result: Hendon 2 Eastbourne Borough 0


Hendon: Matt Kerbey, Dave Diedhiou, Lucas Perry, Blaise Riley-Snow, Dan Matsuzaka, Ethan Light, Samuel Adenola, Billy Leonard, Joe White (capt), Niko Muir (Florian Endouvou-Ada 86 mins) and Kai Brosnan (Simeon Olarerin 90+6).

Unused substitutes: Ellis Brown and Shaun Lucien.

Manager: Lee Allinson   Assistant Manager: Marc Charles-Smith   Coach: Caolan Smith    Sports Therapist: Paul Shadbolt. 

Eastbourne Borough: Harrison Foulkes, Archie Procter, Dan Quick, DeCarrey Sheriff, Jay Beckford, Freddie Carter, Alfie Bridgman, Fletcher Holman, Billy Vigar, Lucas Defise and George Brown (capt).

Unused substitutes: Finlay Holter, Michael Olarewaju.

Manager: Mark Beard   Assistant Manager: Jamie Strong   Coach: Dean Lightwood   Physio: Chris Dumbrell.

Referee: Matthew Norton   Assistant Referees: David Payne and James Sedley. 

Attendance: 313

The other Middlesex club engaged at this stage were Hampton & Richmond Borough. They beat Cray Valley (PM), whose splendid run in the FA Cup was brought to an end by Charlton Athletic earlier in the week, by 5-1 away from home. The Beavers’ goals were scored by Isaac Pitblado, Dean Inman, George Hunt, Jordan Cheadle and Ally Whittingham. Kyrell Lisbie scored a late consolation goal for the Millers.

The draw for the 3rd Round has given Hendon yet another home game, their ninth consecutive home cup pairing. They will play Weymouth on 9th December.   

Hampton & Richmond Borough are away to Southend United. Barnet and Wealdstone, who are entering the competition at this stage, are both at home, to Maidstone United and Billericay respectively.

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn