Senior Challenge Cup match photo


Jim Taylor

Southall hosted Northwood in Round 2 of the Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup, at their Wymers Wood Road headquarters on Wednesday evening last, 8th November and your roving team were there for the match.

Both teams, who were defeated quarter finalists last season and had received a bye into Round 2 this time around, played high quality football and provided a hard fought and thoroughly entertaining cup-tie. They were evenly matched and a result had to be obtained by a penalty shoot-out. The visitors went ahead in the third minute of the match and the hosts equalised half an hour afterwards. Despite plenty of near misses, that ended the scoring. The penalty shoot-out was also very tight. The kicks were of the highest quality, which, with just one exception, gave the respective custodians little chance of making a save.

Harry Gallagher put Northwood ahead in the 3rd minute by heading home Harry McKenna’s wide freekick at the near post.

Harry McKenna's free kick...

... is headed home by Harry Gallagher (6)

Southall’s Luke Heneghan released Dimitris Savva, whose shot from outside the penalty box was just wide.

The Woods hit back and Harry McCorkell headed narrowly wide from Harry McKenna’s accurate cross.

The ‘Alls Kevin Songolo won the ball, cut in and brought a save from keeper, Roraigh Brown by his near post, at the expense of a corner. Roraigh took Luke Heneghan’s resulting corner kick high up. The keeper then parried a long shot from Dimi Savva.

Roraigh Browne takes Luke Heneghan's corner kick

Dan Williams shot too high for the Woods and then Harry Gallagher just failed to reach Reece Cameron’s freekick.

Luke Heneghan flicked a header on to release Kevin Songolo, who was thwarted by Roraigh.

Southall equalised in the 33rd minute. Luke Heneghan gained possession and released Dimi Savva, who took the ball on, rounded the keeper and netted from an extremely acute angle.

Dimi Savva takes the ball past the keeper

... shoots from an acute angle

... and scores Southall's equaliser

A low drive by Lewis Putman was blocked by Roraigh.

Reece Cameron’s close-range shot was deflected over the crossbar by a home defender. Reece then headed wide from the subsequent corner kick.

Kofi Anokye-Boadi fought off a challenge and advanced up the middle but fired just over the Southall bar.

A Woods’ passing movement involving Dan Williams and Harry McKenna concluded with the latter’s shot being deflected wide.

Half-time score: Southall 1 Northwood 1

Dan Williams released Kofi, whose shot was charged down.

Northwood skipper, Luke Tingey went up-field to launch a long throw into the home goalmouth. Michael Edegbe caught his projectile.

Luke Tingey's long throw...

... is caught by Michael Edegbe

Southall made a mass substitution, replacing 4 players just before the hour mark. 

A spell of Northwood pressure saw shots by Kofi and then Harry McKenna blocked. Then Harry McKenna played the ball back to Dan Williams, who hit the woodwork.

A mist, which had appeared in the corner of the ground started to intensify and widen out across the pitch.

‘All substitute, Shyon Dennis tried a chip but cleared the crossbar. Then Woods’ keeper saved low down from Darreon Mark.

Roraigh Browne saves low down from Darreon Mark

Northwood’s Teddy Stacey’s threatening run through the middle was halted by a timely tackle. Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway’s shot from Kofi’s low cross was stopped by Michael Edegbe.

Thankfully the mist was now lifting.

A back header by Harry Gallagher, from a throw-in was gathered by Michael Edegbe.

Southall stormed the Woods goal in search of a late winning goal. Keeper Browne made a brave save at Shyon Dennis’ feet and two shots were blocked on the goal-line, in added time.

Score at full-time: Southall 1 Northwood 1

The high quality of the penalties in the shoot-out meant that the respective goalkeepers were rarely given a chance to make a save. Roraigh Browne, diving to his left for Southall’s second kick, taken by Bill Montague, won the match for Northwood.

Roraigh saves Bill Montague's penalty

Southall went first and their successful takers, in order, were Luke Heneghan, Lewis Putman, Dimi Savva and keeper Michael Edegbe.

Keeper Michael Edegbe nets Southall's fifth penalty...

... but Harry Gallagher wins the tie for Northwood

The 5 successful kickers for Northwood were Carl Stewart, Reece Cameron, Kofi Anokye-Boadi, Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway and Harry Gallagher.

Penalty shoot-out score: Southall 4 Northwood 5


Southall: Michael Edegbe, Kevin Diomande, Azeez Alabi (capt), Dimitris Savva, David Amate (Nabil El-Ghaidouni Taitt 60 mins), Frankie Taylor (Jaiden Celestine-Charles 85), Lewis Putman, Connor Holland (William Montague 60), Kevin Songolo (Darreon Mark 60), Luke Heneghan and Harvey Jay Harry (Shyon Dennis 60).

Manager: Max Howell   Coaches: Jesse Smith, Darren Wilkinson and Josh Stroud   Physios: Bren Briggs and Don Bennett.

Northwood: Roraigh Browne, Teddy Stacey, Deago Dunbar-Bonnie, Carl Stewart, Luke Tingey (capt) (Romario Jonas 68, Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway 76), Harry Gallagher, Harry McKenna (Sam Jenkins 82), Harry McCorkell (Curtis Brown 90), Dan Williams (Godlove Oppong 82), Reece Cameron and Kofi Anokye-Boadi.

Manager: Ben Bukowski   Director of Football: Steve Ringrose   Assistant Manager: Keagan Cole   Coaches: Jacob Cook and Dennis Quigley   Physio: Elizabeth Brooks.

Referee: Conor Griffin 

Assistant Referees: Thomas Healy and Mark Jolley.

Both teams can be commended on their performances. Our congratulations are due to the Woods on their victory and our condolences to Southall, who fought all the way to make the result in doubt to the bitter end. Referee Conor Griffin and his Assistant Referees also deserve credit for the competent manner with which they handled the proceedings.

Attendance: 97

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn


Full set