The winners with the cup


Jim Taylor

The finals of the Middlesex FA Under 12, Under 13 and Under 14 Youth Cups were all contested on Sunday, 14th May at Rectory Park.   Our second match was the Sam Dunn Under 13 Cup final between Parks (Youth) FC and Parkfield Youth Red.

Parks (Youth) competed in the Premier Division of the North London Youth League this season and Parkfield Youth in the Harrow Youth League Premier Division.   Both finalists won their league titles by margins of 13 and 6 points respectively.   9 of the Parks’ squad played in the team which won their club last season’s Middlesex Under 12 Cup.

The Middlesex Under 13 Youth Cup was first competed for in the 1980-81 season, when it was won by Belmont United Boys FC.   

57 teams entered this season’s competition.

Parks (Youth) FC reached the final by beating London Athletic Red 9-1 (at home) in round 1, Elite London Red 5-2 (at home) in round 2, Wealdstone Youth Red 5-1 (at home) in round 3, Hoddesdon Town Youth Blacks 2-0 (away) in the quarter-final and London Elite Youth 2-1 (away) in the semi-final.

Parkfield Youth Red recorded victories over Limitless FC 5-1 (at home) in round 1, Hanwell Town Youth Red 17-0 (away) in round 2, Bedfont Eagles 3-1 (away) in round 3, Sandgate Youth 2-1 (at home) in the quarter-final and Bedfont Eagles Raiders 2-1 (away) in the semi-final.

The sun came out for this match and the temperature rose rapidly, to such an extent that the referee sensibly introduced drinks breaks.   An entertaining game between two very good sides saw Parks take the lead in the 18th minute.   They added further goals in the 25th and 32nd minutes but Parkfield pulled one back on the stroke of half-time.   Parkfield further reduced the deficit from the penalty spot, 15 minutes into the second half.   Then, 15 minutes after this, Parks made the score 4-2 and subsequently added two further goals to win 6-2.

The duration of matches in this competition is 35 minutes each half.   Rolling substitutes are used.

The match eventually kicked off 43 minutes after the coin toss.   Referee Matthew Doyle was prevented from blowing the starting whistle by a message that a fire alarm had been set off in the Rectory Park building, which had to be evacuated.

Parks went straight onto the offensive but Kieran Haynes’ shot, inside the opening minute was too high.

At the other end, Phoenix Offiah ran onto a through ball but couldn’t find a way through the Parks’ defence.   His colleague, Callum Miller made a good run up the wing and cut in but he too was tackled.

We then had a spell of pressure from Parks.   Reuben Carr made ground on the left and forced a corner.   A move involving John Liverpool, Kieran Haynes and Reuben ended with the latter shooting wide.

Kieran Haynes gives Parks the lead

In the 18th minute, Reuben released Kieran, who hit the ball into the top corner of the net to give Parks the lead.

Benjamin Liverpool’s header was turned around the post by Parkfield keeper, Freddie Handell.

Reuben Carr scores Parks' second goal

Reuben Carr doubled Parks’ lead, from close range in the 25th minute, by converting Kieran Haynes’ pass.

John Liverpool's shot is blocked by the keeper...

Kieran Haynes won the ball and took it on but the keeper turned his angled shot for a corner.   Then, in the 32nd minute, Kieran netted Parks’ 3rd goal, after a shot from John Liverpool had been blocked by the keeper.

...runs to Kieran Haynes...

...who nets Parks' third goal

Rickel McLeod-Adams scored for Parkfield Youth just before half-time.   He won the ball in a tackle, rode a foul and slotted it home.

Rickel McLeod-Adams scores for Parkfield

Half-time score: Parks (Youth) FC 3   Parkfield Youth Red 1

Parks resumed the attack.   Kieran Haynes won the ball in a good position but his shot was blocked.   Reuben Carr’s shot was too high.   A shot from Reuben was blocked, following an incisive move by Gabriel Faoro Mezzomo and Kieran Haynes.   John Liverpool crashed a shot against the bar.

Reuben Carr progressed up the wing and was fouled outside the penalty box.   The resulting freekick, taken by Gabriel, was saved by Freddie Handell.

Freddie Handell saves from Gabriel Faoro Mezzomo at the expense of a corner

John Liverpool fed Kieran but Freddie Handell stopped his low shot, which rebounded to Gabriel.   Freddie then saved Gabriel’s shot, low down by the post, at the expense of a corner.   The keeper then kept out John Liverpool’s header from the corner kick.

Phoenix Offiah scores from the penalty spot for Parkfield's second goal

Parkfield pulled another goal back in the 50th minute, through Phoenix Offiah, who converted a penalty kick, awarded for a trip.

John Liverpool’s close-range shot was saved by keeper, Freddie Handell’s feet.   Then Rickel McLeod-Adams broke clear for Parkfield but blazed his shot wide.

John Liverpool released Reuben Carr, who lobbed the ball over the keeper.   Skipper Romarni made a timely clearance out of the 6-yard box but was injured in doing so and was unable to continue.  His injury reduced his sides’ chances of successfully continuing their fight back, as they had started the game with only twelve players.

Kieran Haynes scores Parks' fourth goal

In the 65th minute, Kieran Haynes collected a through ball and hit it over the keeper for his team’s 4th goal and his hat-trick.

Kieran Haynes scores Parks' fifth goal

Three minutes later, Kieran Haynes took the ball up the middle again.   Freddie Handell parried his shot but Kieran ran on and made sure it found the net, to make the score 5-2 and  take his personal tally to four.

In the 3rd minute of added time, John Liverpool netted from Arca Saydag’s pass, for Parks’ 6th goal.

Final score: Parks (Youth) FC 6   Parkfield Youth Red 2

The winners with the cup

Our congratulations are given to Parks Youth on a superb performance.   Also, our commiserations are due to Parkfield Youth Red following their contribution to an exciting match.  They can be proud of their performance.

Referee, Matthew Doyle controlled the proceedings very well, capably assisted by his support team.

We were very pleased to welcome Middlesex FA Honorary Member, Robin Machell, who travelled up from West Sussex to be Guest of Honour for this cup final and for the JN Smith Under 14 Cup final, which followed it.   Robin’s service with Middlesex FA began in 1980 and he subsequently held several positions, culminating as President of the County Youth FA for 6 years, before he relocated to Sussex.

Robin was introduced to the teams and match officials, prior to kick off and presented the cup and mementoes after the match.   He chose Parks’ striker, Kieran Haynes, as Player of the Match.


Parks (Youth) FC: Ishaan Makwana, Jayden Rattray (capt), Alessio Genco. Andreas Deabreu, Arca Saydag, Benjamin Liverpool, Elijah Kwandahor, Gabriel Faoro Mezzomo, John Liverpool, Kieran Hayes, Leo Kastrati, Kelyan Ble, Mikael Thomas, Nathan Odamtten Reuben Carr and Selvin Hurril.

Manager: George Batsa   Coach: Jaydon Hunte. 

Parkfield Youth Red: Freddie Handell, Darrien Jules, Stanley Sullivan, Callum Phillips, Adam Smith, Romarni Green (capt), Kallum Jenkins, Aiden McDonnell, Phoenix Offiah, Callum Miller, Kieran Singh and Rickel McLeod-Adams.

Manager: Jonny McDonnell   Assistant Manager: Andy Miller.

Referee: Matthew Doyle   Assistant Referees: Jorge Cadenas and Samuel Thornton   Fourth Official: Thomas Fondie.

Attendance: 171

Thank you to Chris and Jim for covering the game, as ever they have selected their favourite shots from the match, some of which are on display throughout this report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the game.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography - Chris Benn