The winners with the cup


Jim Taylor

The final of the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup was played   last Wednesday evening, 3rd May at the Honeycroft, home of Uxbridge FC, between Northwood FC and Broadfields United FC.   The proceeds from this match will go to Middlesex FA’s Charity Partner, Ealing Foodbank.

This competition was first played for in season 1901-02, when it was won by Clapton Orient FC.   It is the third oldest of the current Middlesex FA competitions, behind the Senior Challenge Cup and the Junior Cup.   Hayes FC have won it on the most occasions (15).   Neither of this season’s finalists had previously put their name on this trophy.

16 teams entered this season’s competition.   Both of the finalists had been given a bye in round 1.

Northwood beat Wealdstone in a penalty shoot-out, after a 2-2 home draw in round 2.   They triumphed in another penalty shoot-out in the quarter-final, against St Panteleimon, again after a 2-2 home draw.   They then overcame FC Deportivo Galicia 3-0, at home, in the semi-final.

Broadfields United beat Southall 2-1, at home, in round 2, received a walk-over against North Greenford United in the quarter-final and won 2-1 away to Hanwell Town in the semi-final.

Northwood have concluded a successful season, playing at Step 4 of the Non-League Pyramid, in the Isthmian League South Central Division.   They finished in 5th place, a promotion play-off position but narrowly lost their semi-final to Walton & Hersham.   Broadfields United  play at Step 5, in the Combined Counties Premier Division North.   They are currently in very good form and their recent league results have enabled them to climb away from the relegation zone, into a respectable mid-table position.   Also, they had already beaten two teams above them in the pyramid, to reach this final.

Both teams were obviously keen to win some silverware. to finish their season on a high and produced an entertaining and hard-fought encounter.   The low score might give the impression of a dour match but this was not the case.   The emphasis was on attack and aggression.   I soon lost count of the number of corners and then of the yellow cards shown.   Broadfields started well and had the edge in the first half.   They scored in the 14th minute and comfortably held onto the lead for the remainder of the half.   Northwood wasted a golden chance to equalise immediately after the interval.   After this, both sides had scoring opportunities, but none of them were taken and the match ended in a deserved 1-0 victory for Broadfields United.

Broadfields pressed from the start.   Max Holland made a couple of threatening runs.   Then Jordan Greaves won possession in the Northwood box and brought a close-range save from keeper, Andrew McCorkell.   Jordan chased a through ball up the middle and was again thwarted by Andrew.   Rhys Ellis’ pass released Max Holland on another run but he was stopped by a timely tackle.

Broadfields keeper, Bradley Shaw had his first touch of the match in the 13th minute, when he fielded a long ball into his penalty area.

A corner kick by Junior Paiva is headed back across goal by Rhys Ellis (8)...

Jordan Greaves scored for Broadfields United in the 14th minute, after Junior Paiva’s corner kick was headed back across goal to him by Rhys Ellis.

...and netted by Jordan Greaves (partially hidden)

Jordan Greaves, who was proving to be a constant threat to the Northwood rear-guard, released Max Holland.   Andrew McCorkell saved from close range.

Northwood’s Shane Cojocarel fed Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway, who had his side’s first shot on goal in the 20th minute.   His effort was deflected for a corner.

Northwood defender, captain Luke Tingey went up for a corner, taken by Micah Jackson but he headed wide.  

Broadfield’s Kristian Swaby managed to make contact with Max Holland’s cross but couldn’t direct the ball goalwards.

Andrew McCorkell safely holds Junior Paiva's curling shot

A well struck curling cross/shot into the goalmouth by Junior Paiva was safely held by Andrew McCorkell.   Referee, Gareth Burton played a good advantage to allow Jordan Greaves a shot, which was blocked for a corner by James Gurteen.   He then booked Luke Tingey for the foul.

Half time score: Northwood 0   Broadfields United 1

Osaretin Otote crosses for Shane Cojocarel (7) ...

In the opening minute of the second half, Osaretin Otote set up Shane Cojocarel, who poked the ball wide, with the goal at his mercy.

...who misses the target

Max Holland and Rhys Ellis made an opening for Jordan Greaves, whose shot was blocked.

Nate Lewis-Robinson of Broadfields was cautioned for a late tackle on Micah Jackson.   The resulting freekick, taken from wide on the right by Teddy Stacey was cleared.   Then Teddy released Micah, who hit his shot from a central position, low past the upright.

Max Holland set up Jordan Greaves, whose shot was well saved by goalkeeper, Andrew McCorkell.   Max hit the rebound over the crossbar.   Then Andrew saved Rhys Ellis’ shot from the edge of the box.

Osaretin Otote’s high shot from the right was safely taken by Bradley Shaw.   Micah Jackson sliced a shot wide.

Andrew McCorkell tips Jordan Greaves' shot around the post for a corner

Chances were now being created by both sides.  Jamie Doolan made a good run through the middle and set up Jordan Greaves but Andrew McCorkell tipped Jordan’s shot around the post for a corner.

Carl Stewart (8) shoots...

Northwood’s Carl Stewart got into a shooting position but Bradley Shaw parried his shot away.

...and Bradley Shaw parries his shot

Max Holland won the ball and made himself some space but his high cross was well taken by Andrew McCorkell.

Northwood substitute, Romario Jonas headed wide from a long freekick from the left.

The Northwood keeper punches away under pressure

The Northwood keeper, under pressure, had to punch away a dangerous cross from Rhys Ellis.

A scramble in the Northwood goalmouth ended when Jordan shot narrowly over, after a shot from Rhys was blocked.

Northwood’s Micah Jackson took the ball up the wing and cut in but his angled shot was headed just past the post by a defender.   The resulting corner was cleared away after a melee.

Bradley Shaw saves from Osaretin Otote (10)

Northwood had further goal-scoring attempts during the 6 minutes of added time.   Osaretin Otote’s shot, directed towards the top corner of the net, was taken by Bradley Shaw.   The keeper then held onto a high cross from Jack Smith.  

Jack Smith's free kick is charged down by the wall

Then, in the final minute, Shane Cojocarel was fouled in a central position just outside the box.   Jack Smith’s freekick was charged down by the defensive wall.

Final score: Northwood 0   Broadfields United 1

The winners with the cup

Referee Gareth Burton controlled proceedings impeccably.   He received good support from his team.                                                             

Middlesex FA Chairman, John Taylor, was the Guest of Honour and was introduced to the teams and match officials before the kick-off and presented the cup and mementoes after the game.   John chose Broadfields United striker, Jordan Greaves, as Player of the Match.

Our thanks are due to Uxbridge FC, for allowing us to use their fine facilities and for the hospitality which they provided on the night.  

The attendance was 298.


Northwood: Andrew McCorkell, Teddy Stacey (Harry Gallagher 87 min), Andy Lomas (Sam Jenkins 73), Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway, Luke Tingey (capt), James Gurteen (Romario Jonas 58), Shane Cojocarel, Carl Stewart (Keagan Cole 85), Gareth Chendlik (Jack Smith 60), Osaretin Otote and Micah Jackson.

Director of Football: Steve Ringrose   Head Coach: Ben Bukowski   Coaches: Richard Elderfield and Harry Higgins.  Physios: Dan Doggett and Elizabeth Brooks.

Broadfields United: Bradley Shaw, Lewis Batten, Darren Brown, Jamie Doolan (Thomas Payne 76), Nate Lewis-Robinson, Calum Rogers (capt), Kristian Swaby (Connor Spinks 82), Rhys Ellis, Jordan Greaves (Tyrone Shiham 90 + 6), Junior Paiva and Max Holland (Joe Reade 85).

Unused substitute: Ergys Pepaj.

Managers: Sunny Tailor and Ryan Duff   Coach: Billy Brooks   Physio: Steve Hoare..

Referee: Gareth Burton   Assistant Referees: Nathan Briggs and Ahmad Rafique   4th Official: Simon Cudner

Thank you to Chris & Jim for covering the match, they have chosen their favourite shots from the game. Chris has also kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography - Chris Benn