The winners with the cup


Jim Taylor

The Middlesex FA Intermediate Cup final was played on the evening of Wednesday, 26th April at Berkeley Fields, the home of North Greenford United FC.   The teams involved were Staines & Lammas (Middlesex), who play in the Surrey Premier County League and Bush Hill Rangers of the Herts Senior County League Premier Division.   Staines Lammas FC was formed in 1926 and took the name of Staines & Lammas this season, on joining up with the stricken Staines Town FC.   Bush Hill Rangers came into existence in 2003.

The Intermediate Cup is the 4th oldest of our current cups and was first competed for in the 1930-31 season.   Enfield Reserves were the winners in its first 2 seasons.

15 teams entered the competition for the current season.

Staines & Lammas reached the final without conceding a goal.   They were drawn away in every round and beat Edgware & Kingsbury Reserves 3-0 in round 1, AFC Spelthorne Sports Club 3-0 in the quarter-final and Indian Gymkhana 2-0 in the semi-final.

Bush Hill Rangers beat Kodak Harrow 3-2 (at home) in round 1, Kensington Dragons 3-1 (away) in the quarter-final and Ava 2-0 (away) in the semi-final.

The match started at a fast, at times frantic, pace which rarely slackened throughout the 90 minutes.   Bush Hill Rangers, showing considerable skill and aggression, dominated possession for most of the first half but mainly due to sound Staines & Lammas defensive work, were unable to score.   Staines & Lammas came more into the game in the latter stages of the half but the match remained goalless at the interval.   Bush Hill Rangers had the majority of the chances in the second half and put Staines & Lammas under considerable pressure at times but neither team was able to break the deadlock and the contest went to a penalty shoot-out, which was won by Bush Hill Rangers.

Bush Hill Rangers went onto the attack immediately and Thomas Beadle delivered the first of several dangerous in-swinging corners, which was headed off of the goal-line.   Eri Akintimehin fired over the bar.   Claudio Abagnale sped up the wing and forced a corner. Michael Akin, demonstrating considerable pace, made several sorties up the right wing.

A long range freekick on the left, for Staines & Lammas, taken by Tom Betts was saved by Rangers’ keeper, Kymani Nelson.

A long cross by Thomas Beadle was headed behind by Hamish Gwynne Porter for a corner.   Thomas took the corner, which was headed over the Staines & Lammas bar by Can Arioglu.

Michael Akin evades a tackle

Rangers Michael Akim was showing fine control and balance.  He made one impressive run into the Staines half, during which, despite being tripped twice, he kept his feet.

Cameron Kennedy takes a high ball from Jerrell Cato

Claudio Abagnale released Jerrell Cato, whose high ball into the Staines & Lammas box was taken by keeper, Cameron Kennedy.

Staines & Lammas came into the match late in the half, with Josh Hooks initiating several attacks.   His corner was headed out from under the bar by John Cush.

Kymani Nelson foils Ethan Leeks (14)

Kymani Nelson gathered Jamie Ross’ low cross despite a challenge from Ethan Leeks.

Then Josh’s ball into the box was cleared following a goalmouth scramble.

Hamish Gwynne-Porter heads for goal...

John Cush headed Hamish Gwynne-Porter’s header, from a corner, to safety.

...and John Cush heads to safety

Then, at the other end, Claudio’s low cross was cleared out of the Staines & Lammas goalmouth.

Half-time score: Staines & Lammas (Middlesex) 0   Bush Hill Rangers 0

Claudio broke up-field and set up Tashan Richmond, whose shot was blocked at the expense of a corner.

Kymani Nelson saves from Ethan Leeks (out of picture)

Staines & Lammas’ Josh Heike shot too high, after being released by Jamie Ross.   A low cross shot by Ethan Leeks was saved by Kymani Nelson.

Cameron Kennedy punches Thomas Beadle's corner away

Rangers had a spell of dominance.   A fine passing sequence involving Eri Akintimehin, Hamza Abdulle and Michael Akin set up Tashan Richmond, whose shot was turned for a corner.   Thomas Beadle’s corner kick was eventually scrambled away, after a being punched out by Cameron Kennedy.

A speedy run up the right wing by Michael Akin ended when his cross went behind the bye line.   Eri worked his way into the box, changed direction several times in an effort to get into a striking position but was eventually forced into a hurried shot, which went wide.

Eri went on another run and forced a corner.   Thomas Beadle’s kick initiated another goalmouth melee before the ball was headed away.   The Staines & Lammas central defensive partnership of Russell Canderton and Hamish Gwynne-Porter remained impressively solid throughout.

Josh Hooks’ freekick for Staines & Lammas, from around 30 yards, was cleared.   Then Kymani Nelson saved from Ethan Leeks.

Rocheim Stewart put Jordan McKenzie through.   Jordan’s shot produced a corner, which Rocheim took.   His kick went to Claudio, whose close-range shot was blocked.

John Cush's overhead kick goes just wide

John Cush’s overhead kick, from Tashan Richmond’s long throw-in, went just wide.

Score after 90 minutes: Staines & Lammas (Middlesex) 0   Bush Hill Rangers 0

Bush Hill Rangers went first in the penalty shoot-out and the Staines & Lammas keeper, Cameron Kennedy dived to his left to save Tashan Richmonds’ kick.

Cameron Kennedy saves Tashan Richmond's penalty

Then Bush Hill Rangers’ keeper, Kymani Nelson dived to his right to save from Josh Hieke.

Kymani Nelson saves from Josh Hieke

Thomas Beadle hit Bush Hill Rangers’ second penalty over the crossbar and Josh Hooks converted to put Staines & Lammas 1-0 up, after 2 penalties each.

Both of the 3rd pair of penalty takers, Rocheim Stewart and Matthew Hogg were successful.

Kymani saves from Josh Stewart

Bush Hill Rangers’ Claudio Abagnale converted his kick but Kymani Nelson dived to his right to save from Josh Stewart and level the scores, after 4 kicks each, at 2-2.

Cameron Kennedy dived the right way for Rangers’ 5th kick, taken by Jerrell Cato, but he couldn’t stop it.

The 5th kick for Staines & Lammas, taken by Jamie Ross, cleared the crossbar.

Result of Penalty Shoot-out: Bush Hill Park 3   Staines & Lammas 2

The winners with the cup

Our congratulations are given to Bush Hill Park on their victory.   Our condolences are given to Staines and Lammas, who fought so hard before losing a nerve-shredding shoot-out.   It is little consolation to know that to lose out on a cup win, without conceding a single goal during the actual play throughout the entire tournament, is probably a unique achievement.

An extremely physical and potentially explosive match was very well controlled by referee, Sobastian Frazer, who was given good support by his team. 

We were delighted to welcome Middlesex FA Chief Executive, Kayleigh Saunders, as our Guest of Honour.   She was introduced to all 3 teams before kick off and presented the Cup and mementoes after the match.   Kayleigh chose Staines & Lammas central defender, Hamish Gwynne-Porter as Player of the Match.

Our thanks are given to North Greenford United FC, for allowing us the use of their fine facilities and for their great hospitality during the evening.


Staines & Lammas (Middlesex): Cameron Kennedy, Paul Bartholomew, Luke Halsey, Russell Canderton, Hamish Gwynne-Porter, Jason Robertson, Richard Bond (capt), Tom Betts, Josh Hieke, Josh Hooks and Jamie Ross.

Rolling substitutes: Paul Baker, Ethan Leeks, Josh Stewart, Luke Rippon and Matthew Hogg.

Manager: Paul Burgess   Assistant Manager: John Pomroy   Coach: Russell Canderton   Physio: Andy Tompkins.

Bush Hill Rangers: Kymani Nelson, Jerrell Cato, Thomas Beadle, Can Arioglu, John Cush (capt), Rocheim Stewart, Eri Akintimehin, Claudio Abagnale, Kerem Ismail, Michael Akin and Tashan Richmond.

Rolling substitutes: Hamza Abdulle, Jordan McKenzie, Stanley Bodimead, Anton Johnson and Lewis Wilson.

Manager: Ali Mustafa   Coaches: Emmanuel Marfo, Tyler Forde and Soner Mustafa   Physio: Halil Mustafa.

Referee: Sobastian Frazer   Assistant Referees: Joe Alborough and Nick Churcher  Fourth Official : Mohammed Shahib Shohel.

Attendance: 251

We thank Chris & Jim for covering this final, as ever they have selected their favourite shots from the match. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the game.

Chris & Jim's picks

Full Album of Imagery courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography - Chris Benn