The finalists


Jim Taylor

The semi-finals of this season’s Middlesex Intermediate Cup took place on Saturday last, 25th February.   Your roving team covered the tie between Indian Gymkhana and Staines & Lammas, at the home club’s splendid Osterley headquarters.  The spectators were treated to an exciting competitive match, during which the action moved rapidly up and down the field.  There were misplaced passes and the play sometimes became a little scrappy but it was always interesting.  

15 clubs entered this season’s competition.   Staines & Lammas, who have recently been formed by an amalgamation of Staines Lammas FC and the ashes of the unfortunate Staines Town FC had reached the semi-finals with 3-0 away victories over both Edgware & Kingsbury Reserves and AFC Spelthorne Sports.   Indian Gymkhana had received a walkover in their round one tie against AEK Braiscompany London Yellows and had then overcome Brook House Reserves 6-0 at home in the quarter finals.  

The result of last Saturday’s match was in the balance until the very end.   The visitors scored first with under 20 minutes remaining in the second half and then clinched the result with a penalty deep into added time.

Cameron Kennedy saves at Isaiah Chase's feet

Staines & Lammas’ Cameron Kennedy was the first goalkeeper in serious action when he saved at Isaiah Chase’s feet in the 7th minute.

Hammad Taj (2) deflects Tom Betts' (8) shot for a corner...

6 minutes later, at the other end, Tom Betts fed Josh Hooks, whose close range shot was blocked.   Tom Betts followed up and Gymkhana captain, Hammad Taj deflected his shot for a corner, which keeper Bilal Khan took high up.

...which Bilal Khan takes high up

Jamie Ross was looking lively for Staines and set up Tom Betts, whose shot was charged down.   Tom regained the ball in the subsequent melee but he shot wide under pressure.

Tom Betts’ dangerous run was halted by Mohmin Zaheed’s timely tackle.   A good move, involving Tom, Josh Hooks and Jamie Ross, ended disappointingly when Jamie shot over the bar.

Jamie Ross takes a free kick...

Josh Hieke was fouled just outside the box.   Josh Hooks’ dummy at the free kick didn’t deceive the defensive wall, which charged down Jamie Ross’ shot.

...which is dealt with by the wall

It was then Gymkhana’s turn to press.   Suraj Sharma’s run through the middle was intercepted by Russell Canderton.   Isaiah Chase released Suraj, who progressed up the wing, cut in and tested keeper Cameron Kennedy with a low shot.    Then another low shot by Suraj was just wide.

A clever back-heel by Tom Betts set up Josh Hooks but the keeper took his shot on the bounce.

Alexander Owuadey shoots into the side netting

Gymkhana’s Alexander Owuadey burst through the middle but delayed his shot, was forced wide and hit the side netting.

Cameron Kennedy left his area to beat Alexander to a through ball and kick clear.

Score at half time: Indian Gymkhana 0   Staines & Lammas 0

The visitors had chances immediately after the interval.   Jamie Ross made a run through the middle and set up Josh Stewart, whose shot was turned for a corner.   Then Jamie’s ball across the penalty area just evaded a couple of his team mates.  Russell Canderton went up for a corner but headed wide.

Jeyasiva Sivapathasundaram’s free kick into the Staines box rebounded wide off of Alexander Owuadey.

Some promising moves were now breaking down because of misplaced passes.  

Alexander crossed for Isaiah Chase but the Staines’ keeper beat him to the ball.   Then Jeyasiva fed Alexander, who was tackled at the expense of a corner.

Josh Hieke wins the ball and shoots

In the 71st minute, Josh Hieke won the ball in the box and despite the desperate efforts of Hammad Taj to prevent the ball crossing the goal-line, netted from an angle to put Staines & Lammas ahead.

...and the ball goes in despite the efforts of Hammad Taj

Cameron Kennedy saved at Isaiah Chase’s feet.   Then, at the other end, Ethan Leeks dispossessed Jeyasiva but slipped over, allowing the ball to be kicked clear.

Cameron Kennedy saves at Isaiah Chase's feet

Indian Gymkhana pressed in search of an equaliser.   Mohmin Zaheed went up for a corner but his header was just too high.   Several high balls into the Staines’ box were cleared.   Israel Kabengele set up Alexander, whose run was blocked.

Mohmin Zaheed heads just over from a corner

Suraj Sharma’s shot was saved, after good approach work by Jeyasiva.

In a Staines’ counter attack, Josh Hieke’s header was saved by Bilal Khan.

Cameron Kennedy foiled both Jeyasiva and Isaiah, as Gymkhana resumed their offensive.   Then the ball was hacked clear, following a scramble in the visitors’ goalmouth.  

With time running out, Staines broke away again.   Tom Betts passed to Ethan Leeks, who took the ball to a wide position on the Gymkhana goal-line, where he was fouled.   After some shielding in the vicinity of the corner flag, the ball was played into the penalty area, where it was handled by a defender.

Josh Hooks makes the score 2-0 from the penalty spot

The award of a penalty kick didn’t please Hammad Taj, who was dismissed from the field, for foul and abusive language to the referee.   Josh Hooks scored from the spot.

Final score:  Indian Gymkhana 0   Staines & Lammas 2

Referee Daniel Harvey had an excellent match.   He was well supported by his experienced assistant referees.


Indian Gymkhana: Bilal Khan, Karanjeet Pal, Mohmin Zaheed, Hammad Taj (capt), Jeyasiva Sivapathasundaram, Gurpreet Bansal, Hikram Olaiya, Aaron Alleyne-Anstey, Isaiah Chase, Alexander Owuadey and Israel Kabengele.

Rolling substitutes: Amanjit Chaggar, Harmeet Dhaliwal, Parwinder Kang, Nauman Quraishy and Suraj Sharma.

Staines & Lammas: Cameron Kennedy, Matthew Hogg, Luke Halsey, Russell Canderton, Hamish Gwynne-Porter (capt), Jason Robertson, Jamie Ross, Tom Betts, Josh Hieke, Josh Hooks and Josh Stewart.

Rolling substitutes: George Bezer, Paul Bartholomew, Ethan Leeks and John Pomroy.

Referee: Daniel Harvey   Assistant Referees:  Ali Matour and Aiden Farrelly.

In the final, scheduled for Wednesday, 26th April at North Greenford United FC, Staines & Lammas will play Bush Hill Rangers, who beat Ava 2-0 away, in the other semi-final match.

We thank Chris & Jim for their time covering this game, as ever they have selected their favourite shots from the match, these can be found throughout the report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn