The teams enter the arena


Jim Taylor

The heavy rain, which adversely affected the plans of your roving team last weekend, was replaced this weekend by frost and ice, with exactly the same results.   The intention of reporting on the progress of our member clubs engaged in the FA Vase and the FA Sunday Cup was thwarted by early  ground inspections   Saturday’s postponement did, however, provide a welcome opportunity for our first visit, as a roving team, to Edgware & Kingsbury.  

The Wares hosted Holyport in a Combined Counties Premier Division North match, on the recently updated 3G surface at their splendid Silver Jubilee Park stadium.

Edgware & Kingsbury were in 6th place in the league table, with 31 points from 18 games.   Holyport had played a game less and were in 16th place with 17 points.   The result of this match moved the visiting team up to 11th place.

The teams served up an entertaining match with a surprising end result.   After the first tentative 15 minutes or so, played mainly in midfield, Edgware & Kingsbury dominated play for the remainder of the match, without being able to make their possession count.   Some resolute defending and fine goalkeeping helped to set the scene for a late winning goal for the visitors, which would have won any BBC Match of the Month competition.

Edgware’s Donnabhan Green was the first keeper in action, in the 10th minute, safely gathering a free kick from wide on the left by Najee Holder.

Then Holyport’s Christian Johnson picked up a through ball but his final touch allowed Donnabhan to gather the ball again.


Wares’ first attempt on goal came from Michael Melanarkitis, who fired narrowly wide.   Then Michael Dapaah progressed up the left but his cross was cut out at the expense of a corner.

Samir Sedaoui’s shot, from around 25 yards, was parried by Holyport keeper,

The diving Holyport keeper saves from Michael Melanarkitis

Matteo Giacobbe and Michael Melanarkitis hit the rebound wide.   Then Michael’s shot from the corner of the box was saved by the diving Matteo.

Edgware’s mobile strikers kept up the pressure.   A shot by Caoilan McGettigan went wide and another by Javarn Bernard was blocked by a defender.   Niko Popov fired low but wide.

The Holyport keeper pushes Samir Sedaoui's (10) shot away

Michael Melanarkitis’s shot skimmed the post.   Samir’s shot was pushed away by the keeper.

Donnabhan Green parries Christian Johnson's shot

At the other end of the pitch, home keeper, Donnabahn Green made a good double save.   He parried Christian Johnson’s shot and then stopped Sam Jones’ close-range effort from the rebound.

Wares resumed the pressure.  Matteo Giacobbe saved low down from Niko Popov and then from Samir Sedaoui.

Samir was brought down just outside the box and the keeper made a good save from Michael Melanarkitis’s free kick.

Half time score: Edgware & Kingsbury 0   Holyport 0

Matteo Giacobbe saves Caoilan McGettigan's low shot

Matteo was soon in action again, saving low down from Caoilan McGettingan.

Edgware custodian, Donnabhan Green was hurt, having left his area to clear from Christian Johnson but quickly recovered.

Edgware continued to press but the visiting defence remained very solid.   Caoilan cut in and fired into the side netting.

The visitors, prompted by the speedy Haziz Kone, were looking dangerous on the break.   Andy Forisky headed just over the bar.

Harry Hoath ran on as a substitute for Holyport to take a free kick, which was charged down.

Christian Johnson met Ramon Rose’s cross with a diving header, which was well saved by the Edgware keeper.

Michael Dapaah (3) shoots...

Caoilan McGettigan was put clear on goal but keeper Giacobbe saved with his feet and soon followed this with another good save from Michael Dapaah.

...and Matteo saves

Donnabhan saves from Christian Johnson (out of picture)...

Alfie Pendlebury netted the rebound, after the Edgware keeper had saved from Christian Johnson but was ruled offside.

...and Alfie Pendlebury nets the rebound...
...but is adjudged offside
Harry Hoath shoots...

Almost immediately after this, in the 82nd minute, Harry Hoath won the match for Holyport with a beautifully struck shot, from outside the box, into the top corner of the home net.

...and beats the keeper... find the net

Final Score: Edgware & Kingsbury 0   Holyport 1

Holyport celebrate

Referee Seb Frazer controlled the match well, ably supported by his Middlesex FA assistant referees.

Edgware defender, Michael Dapaah was taken to hospital after the match with suspected concussion.   We are pleased to report that he was released after receiving the all clear, following his scans.

Our thanks are due to Edgware & Kingsbury FC Chairman, Antony Manzi  and his colleagues for their warm welcome and kind cooperation during our unscheduled visit.


Edgware & Kingsbury: Donnabhan Green, Kleon James, Michael Dapaah (Carlos Bain 84 mins), Alieu Kamara, Craige Tomkins, Dan Taylor (Hafid Bounyafe 87), Javarn Bernard, Michael Melanarkitis, Caoilan McGettigan (capt), Samir Sedaoui (Oscar Kally 73) and Niko Popov (Novell Sony-Bruce 73).

Unused substitute: Matt Shaw.

Manager: Rak Hudson    Assistant Manager: Paul Fitzgerald    Physio: Dominique Yeboah-Jones.

Holyport: Matteo Giacobbe, Sam Jones (Matt Ensby 90), Ramon Rose, Najee Holder, Austen Edwards, Fabien Etienne (capt), Christian Johnson, Andy Forisky (Harry Hoath 67), Alfie Pendlebury, Haziz Kone, Kritpac Dzimba,

Unused substitutes: Dan Wilson, Alexander Dimitizijevic and Kai Morgan.

Manager: Sam Lock   Assistant Manager: Emlyn Hill   Physio: Dino Pashias

Referee: Sobastian Frazer   Assistant Referees: Noel Glavin and Robert Reid.

We thank Chris and Jim for yet again braving the cold weather to cover this game, as always they have selected their favourite shots from the game. Chris has also kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All