The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

Last season’s finalists, Highgate Albion visited Frimley Green Sunday in the 4th round of the FA Sunday Cup on 29th January.   Your reporting team were at the pleasantly rural Frimley Green Recreation Ground to cover the game, which had been postponed the previous week, due to a frozen pitch.    

Frimley Green Sunday had reached this stage of the competition with victories over NLO (4-1 at home) in round 1, Shire United (3-1 away) in round 2 and Rouge 21 (5-2 away) in round 3.  

Highgate Albion were given a bye in round 1 and then won a penalty shoot-out in round 2 against Hatch Lane, after a 1-1 home draw.   They then beat FC Beaconsfield (4-1 away) in round 3.

A large crowd were treated to a highly entertaining match.   Frimley Green, who are new to the competition this season, played well and pushed their experienced visitors almost all of the way.   They were still very much in contention at only 2-3 down, midway through the second half.   However, Highgate Albion resisted the home side’s pressure and ran out 6-2 winners.   Play moved rapidly up and down the field for the entire 90 minutes.  

Jake Cass is brought down...

Jake Cass’s run up the middle was halted when he was brought down just outside the Frimley Green penalty box.   He took the free kick, which was blocked by the defensive wall.

...his free kick is blocked by the wall

Nic Ciardini puts Frimley Green ahead

Frimley Green went ahead in the 6th minute, through Nic Ciardini, who netted Jordan Carter’s cross from close range.

Dan Bone parries Jake Cass' shot...

Jake Cass burst through the home defence to equalise 6 minutes later.   Keeper Dan Bone parried Jake’s shot but could not prevent it crossing the goal-line.

...but it still goes in for the equaliser

A cross-field pass found Highgate’s Richard Ennin, who fired just wide.  Reece Lambert headed wide from Daniel Taylor’s corner.  Jake Cass shot on the turn but Dan Bone saved at the expense of a corner.

Albion keeper, Charles Taylor took a dangerous cross off of Nick Thurnwood’s head.   At the other end, Dan Bone saved Reece Lambert’s header from Daniel Taylor’s corner.

Richard Ennin is tripped...

Albion took the lead in the 35th minute.   Richard Ennin was tripped just inside the box and Jake Cass converted the resulting penalty.   Dan Bone got to the shot but couldn’t keep it out.

...and Jake Cass puts Albion ahead from the penalty spot

Charles Taylor saved from Mark Thomas with his knee.   Zac Hawker’s close-range effort was diverted for a corner.   Jordan Carter’s ball across the goalmouth didn’t attract a touch.

Billy Hayes shoots...

Billy Hayes increased Albion’s lead with a low shot, from the edge of the box, in the 44th minute.

...and Albion go 3-1 up

Dan Bone thwarted two further scoring attempts in added time before the interval, saving a dangerous low cross shot from Tage Kennedy and a free kick taken by Teddy Stacey.

Score at half time: Frimley Green Sunday 1   Highgate Albion 3

Daniel Taylor’s in-swinging corner passed across the face of the goal and went out beyond the far post, without anybody making a connection.Charles Taylor made a great save, tipping over a drive from Nic Ciardini, who had fastened onto Zac Hawker’s through ball.

Charles Taylor saves from Nic Ciardini

Dan Bone saved with his feet from Tage Kennedy and then turned a free kick from Daniel Taylor over his crossbar.

Frimley Green mounted a series of attacks.   The Albion keeper beat Nic Ciardini to an awkwardly bouncing cross.   Toby Jannaway was fouled on the right wing.   Jordan Carter took the free kick, which was cleared following a melee in the box.

Nic Ciardini (19) scores from the spot for Frimley Green

More pressure brought a corner and some more goalmouth action, which was relieved by a free kick to the defence.  In the 65th minute, a hand-ball in the box by Reece Lambert produced a penalty, which Nic Ciardini converted to reduce the deficit.

Billy Hayes restores Albion's two goal advantage

Within 2 minutes, Billy Hayes netted from close range to restore Albion’s two goal advantage.

Nic Ciardini lobbed the ball over the Albion keeper but he was intercepted by Reece Lambert, before he could apply the finishing touch.

Charles Taylor made good saves from Zac Hawker twice and Nic Ciardini.

Excellence Muhemba scores Albion's fifth goal

Substitute Excellence Muhemba scored Albion’s 5th goal, in the 89th minute, after cutting in from the right.

Excellence released Daniel Taylor through the middle but Dan Bone left his area to kick clear.

Jake Cass (14) scores Albion's sixth goal

Jake Cass tapped in Albion’s 6th goal, in the 10th minute of added time, after the ball had rebounded high off of the keeper and the goal framework. 

Final Score: Frimley Green Sunday 2   Highgate Albion 6


Frimley Green Sunday: Dan Bone, Toby Jannaway, Cameron Miller (Gavin Muir 46 mins), Ben Hutchings, Stacey Thripp (Daniel Mason 86), Mark Thomas, Zac Hawker (capt), Mike Siemak, Jordan Carter, Nic Ciardini  (Daniel Mason 85) and Nick Thurnwood (Danny Turner 73).

Unused substitutes: Jack Mortlock, Jake Hawker, Sam Hutchings and Ross Kisiel.

Highgate Albion: Charles Taylor, Teddy Stacey (Luke Alfano 53), Reece Lambert (Pete Riley 75), Aaron Scott, Alvin Kyeremeh, Billy Hayes, Daniel Taylor, Shehzad Anwar, Jake Cass (capt), Richard Ennin (Excellence Muhemba 70) and Tage Kennedy.

Unused substitutes: Ian Maitland, Solomon Ofori, James Esprit and Akinola Fayoyin.

Referee: Charlie Billock.

Highgate Albion have been drawn at home in the 5th round to SE Dons, to be played on 19th February.

We thank Chris & Jim for giving up their Sunday morning to cover this game, as ever they have selected their favourite shots from the game, which can be viewed throughout the report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn