Sunday Cup match action


Jim Taylor

Highgate Albion hosted The Wall FC in the 3rd round of the FA Sunday Cup on Sunday last, 10th November at Ware FC and your roving team were there.    

Albion had reached this stage of the competition by beating Sungate (away) 3-2 in round 1 and SE Dons 2-1 (at home) in round 2. The Wall had won home matches against Hatcham (3-0) and Hatch Lane (2-0).

Highgate Albion qualified for the last 16, as convincing 4-1 winners of a hard- fought cup tie. They took the lead in the 18th minute but The Wall equalised, as the interval approached. However, the visitors remained on level terms for little more than a minute, before Albion regained the lead and then added another goal, to go in at half time 3-1 ahead. Albion sealed their victory by scoring a fourth goal, midway through the second half.

Albion attacked from the start. Richard Ennin’s run down the left wing produced a freekick, which was put into the box by Lonit Talla but was cleared. Excellence Muhemba then broke down the right and hit his shot past the near post.

Lonit took another freekick from the left, which found Alvin Kyeremeh’s head. Keeper, Nathan Boamah saved. 

Leon Lobjoit fired across the goal from a narrow angle and was then dispossessed after being released by Luke Alfano. A long ball from Lonit was headed away.

At the other end, Jerome Wade’s shot from around 25 yards, was too high and a long-range effort by Bryan Zepo was turned around the post by Alexandru Gavriloaia.

In the 18th minute, Teddy Stacey set up Luke Alfano, who crashed the ball home in spectacular fashion from around 30 yards, to put Albion ahead.

Luke Alfano (11) shoots...

... to open the scoring

Albion remained on the offensive and a succession of corners ended with Richard Ennin’s left footed drive flying just wide.

Play now became largely confined to midfield for a while. Nodirbek Bobomurodov’s freekick for The Wall, from wide on the right, evaded all of the occupants of the crowded goalmouth and went out for a goal-kick.

The visitors equalised after 41 minutes. Tom Morris was released up the wing and crossed for Kameiko Pope-Campbell to net.

Tom Morris (far left) crosses...

... and Kameiko Pope-Campbell nets for the Wall

Albion restored their lead just over a minute later. Richard Ennin was tripped. Lonit Talla’s freekick into the box, deceived the goalkeeper and his defence and entered the net inside the far post.

Richard Ennin (7) is fouled...

... Lonit Talla (4) takes the free-kick...

... and scores to restore Albion's lead

Then keeper, Nathan Boamah pushed Richard Ennin’s shot onto the crossbar and over, after Richard had been set up by Leon Lobjoit.

Richard Ennin (7) shoots...

... and Nathan Boamah pushes the ball onto the bar and over

In added time, Luke Alfano was pulled down and Lonit Talla had another freekick, in a slightly more central position than his previous scoring effort. This time his intent was obvious as he hit the ball home to make the score 3-1.

Another Lonit Talla (4) free-kick makes the score 3-1

Half-time score: Highgate Albion 3 The Wall 1

Highgate Albion were generally in command, during the second half and added a further goal to their tally. Play was often halted for the treatment of injuries, disciplinary action by the referee or disputes over decisions.

Referee, Jide Ogbana had a fine match. He established his authority early in the proceedings and controlled two feisty and competitive sets of players admirably.   

Wall defender, Beau Shulman, went forward for Nodirbek’s freekick into the Albion box but his header was wide.

Then Nathan Boamah saved from Richard Ennin and Excellence Muhemba headed narrowly wide. 

Albion increased their lead in the 66th minute, when Leon Lobjoit’s low shot was deflected into the net by Excellence.

Leon Lobjoit's shot is deflected home for Albion's fourth goal

Another goal-bound shot from Richard Ennin took a deflection and flew wide.

There followed a period of pressure by The Wall but Ian Maitland and his defence stood firm. Keeper, Alexandru Gavriloaia was in the thick of the action and received some rough treatment. He made several saves, including one high up from Pharrel Mensah at the expense of a corner, while under considerable pressure.

Charles Taylor saves high up under pressure

Manager, Adam Shahein’s intention to introduce Harry Gallagher to the game, as Albion’s final substitution, was put on hold, because Alexandru had sustained an injury. He was eventually replaced, in the final minute of normal time by substitute keeper, Charles Taylor.

More than 10 minutes of additional time was played, during which Leon Lobjoit headed just too high from a cross and then just missed the target with a lob over the keeper.

Result: Highgate Albion 4 The Wall 1


Highgate Albion: Alexandru Gavriloaia (Charles Taylor 89 mins), Hermes Gbio, Alvin Kyeremeh, Ian Maitland (capt), Teddy Stacey, Luke Alfano, Lonit Talla, Pele Riley (Shehzad Anwar 66), Richard Ennin, Leon Lobjoit and Excellence Muhemba (Solomon Ofori 70).

Unused substitutes: Harry Gallagher Aaron Scott, Akinola Fayoyin and Ashley Dray.

Manager: Adam Shahein   Assistant Manager: Paul Leach   Coaches: Jake Cass and Charles Maitland   Physio: Dane Christie.

The Wall: Nathan Boamah, Cecil Thomas, Tom Morris, Beau Shulman (Kamron Holmes- Lewis 57), Joshua Witter, Emmanuel Dasho, Bryan Zepo (Pharrel Mensah 77), Jerome Wade, Nodirbek Bobomurodov, Danny Bassett and Kameiko Pope-Campbell (Lauric Diakiesse 74).

Unused substitute: Dashaun Hamzat.

Manager: Sayce Holmes-Lewis   Physio: Michael Agyepong.

Highgate Albion are now scheduled to host the winners of the 3rd round tie between Clapham Rovers and Flaunders, in round 4, on 21st January.

Report: Jim Taylor

Photography: Chris Benn