The teams take the field


Jim Taylor

Hayes and Yeading United played Brentford FC B Team, on Tuesday, 28th March at their SKYex Community Stadium, for a place in this season’s Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup Final and your roving team was there.

23 teams entered this season’s competition.   Both teams had received a bye in round 1.   United had then reached the semi-final with victories over Hampton & Richmond Borough (3-1 away) in round 2 and Southall (3-0 at home) in their quarter-final.

The Brentford B team had beaten Bedfont Sports (5-2) and Wealdstone (3-2 ).   Both matches were played away.

A well contested and interesting match was settled by a single goal, scored by the home side 10 minutes after the half-time break.   The first half was evenly contested but some promising approach work by both teams failed to produce a breakthrough or very much goalmouth action.   United went up a gear in the second period and using the excellent playing surface, played neat, short passing, flowing football to take the game to Brentford.  

Ben Winterbottom takes Jean-Baptiste Fischer's low cross

Brentford’s Ben Winterbottom was the first goalkeeper in action, taking Jean-Baptiste Fischer’s low cross.

Romeo Beckham's free kick clears the Hayes bar

Romeo Beckham’s free-kick from around 30 yards just cleared United’s crossbar.

Simon Grant saves from Kyreece Lisbie

United Keeper, Simon Grant saved at wing back, Kyreece Lisbie’s feet.   Then a good through ball released Tony Yogane, who was crowded out.

A long-range lob from Roger James tested the Brentford custodian, who slipped but recovered to make the save.

United lost the services of Jamie Hanlon, because of a nasty looking leg injury, midway through the half.   He was replaced by Taylor Miles.

Reece Cole’s shot from around 25 yards was taken by Ben Winterbottom.

Simon Grant saves at Romeo Beckham's feet

Simon Grant saved at Romeo Beckham’s feet and then foiled the latter’s attempt to chip the ball over him.

Roger James wins the ball...

...Roger James shoots...

Roger James won the ball and drove his shot just wide of the Brentford post.   The Brentford keeper then held Reece Cole’s long free-kick high up.

...just wide of the Brentford post

Simon Grant saved low down at the expense of a corner, from Romeo Beckham, who had been released by Max Wilcox

Half time score: Hayes & Yeading United 0   Brentford B Team 0

Hayes & Yeading United took the initiative and started to put some good movements together.   Reece Cole was particularly prominent, with Roger James and Moses Emmanuel also a constant threat to Brentford’s rear-guard.

Reece Cole (10) shoots...

Reece Cole had 3 attempts on the Brentford goal in as many minutes.   His first attempt was too high.   He then brought a low save from the keeper.   Then his third shot, in the 55th minute, put United ahead.   He took the ball into the penalty area and hit it, low across Ben Winterbottom, into the corner of the net.

...and Hayes take the lead

United kept up the pressure and Reece Cole had another shot blocked.

At the other end, Romeo Beckham’s long free kick over the defensive wall, was caught by the keeper.  

Ben Winterbottom saves from Moses Emmanuel (9)

Moses Emmanuel tested Ben Winterbottom twice in quick succession.   Ben blocked the first shot and turned the second one for a corner.   Josh Lelan went up-field but headed wide from the corner.

Simon Grant saves Max Dickov's (15) header

Romeo Beckham went to the bye-line but his low cross didn’t attract a touch.   Simon Grant saved Max Dickov’s header low down.

Reece Cole broke through the middle but he was dispossessed by Tristan Crama.

Max Dickov (15) shoots low but wide

In the 4 minutes added time, Max Dickov fired low but wide of the United goal and Brentford striker Nathan Young-Coombes handled the ball, while attempting to get into a shooting position.

Final score: Hayes & Yeading United 1   Brentford B Team 0

Referee, Gareth Burton had a very good match, managing the proceedings with a calm assurance.  He was ably supported by his Assistant Referees.


Hayes & Yeading United: Simon Grant. Jean-Baptiste Fischer, Luke Warner-Eley, Sanmi Odelusi (capt), Josh Lelan, Jerry Wiltshire, Jamie Hanlon (Taylor Miles 23 mins), Amos Nasha (Danny Green 80), Moses Emmanuel, Reece Cole, Roger James.

Unused substitute: Hassan Jalloh.

Manager: Paul Hughes

Brentford B: Ben Winterbottom, Kyreece Lisbie (Lucias Vine 61), Val Adedokun, Conor McManus, Tristan Crama (capt), Byron Wilson, Romeo Beckham, Angel Waruih, Nathan Young-Coombes, Max Wilcox (Max Dickov 61) and Tony Yogane.

Unused substitutes: Beaux Booth, Chanse Headman and Omaru King.

Head Coach: Neil MacFarlane

Referee: Gareth Burton   Assistant Referees:  Dani Mansour and Sam Gregory

Attendance: 317

Hayes and Yeading United will play Harrow Borough in the final at Hanwell Town FC’s Powerday Stadium on Wednesday, 19th April.    Harrow Borough won the other semi-final, away to Enfield Town 2-1, on 14th March.

We thank Chris & Jim for covering the game on a wet Tuesday night, as ever Chris & Jim have picked out their favourite shots from the game, whilst Chris has also kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim’s picks

Full album courtesy of Chris Benn

Photography - Chris Benn