The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

Tom Bender heads Villa's first goal
The 1st Qualifying Round of the Isuzu FA Trophy was played on the evening of Tuesday, 14th September, with 6 Middlesex Clubs involved.   Your roving team visited the intriguing all-Middlesex clash at the splendid Skyline Roofing Stadium between Northwood and Hanworth Villa, who were making their debut in the competition.

Both clubs currently compete in the Isthmian League South Central Division.   This is Hanworth Villa’s first season at Step 4, after walking away with last season’s Combined Counties Premier Division North title, with an unbeaten record.  The Villains are, unsurprisingly, finding life more difficult but are settling in at the higher level, having drawn 3 of their 4 league matches.   The one hiccup was a strange 4-0 home defeat against Basingstoke Town.   They recorded 2 victories in the FA Cup before losing 2-1 at Ashford United.

Northwood have also exited the FA Cup, after beating South Park and then losing a home replay to Ashford Town (Middlesex).   However, they currently top the league table, having won all 4 of their matches.  Furthermore, their management team of Steve Ringrose and Ben Bukowski were jointly named Divisional Manager of the Month for August.

A rather disappointing attendance of 85 people impeccably observed the silence in memory of the late Queen Elizabeth II.   They were then rewarded with an evenly contested, competitive and entertaining match, which was played throughout in steady rain.  The first half was scoreless.   The visitors went ahead early in the second half but the final outcome remained in doubt until the last few minutes of the match, when the Villains clinched victory with 2 more goals, after resisting some intense Woods’ pressure.

The teams take the field


Hanworth Villa immediately went onto the attack and in the 3rd minute, Northwood keeper, Andrew McCorkell beat Duncan Culley to a through ball to kick clear.   Then a long free kick from Tom Bender flew just wide.

The Woods got into the match but Sam Jenkins’ shot was off target.   Their first clear chance came from Sydney Ibie, who finished a penetrating run by scuffing his finishing shot.  Sydney proved to be a constant danger throughout the remainder of the match.


A Tom Bender header from a Villa corner on the left was punched out by the home keeper.

Andrew McCorkell punches out Tom Bender's (6) header

At the other end Sydney Ibie made another run but was thwarted by the weight of numbers.  He then cleared the bar from close range.

In a concerted spell of Villains pressure, keeper Andrew McCorkell made two excellent saves, defender Luke Tingey made a great saving tackle and Tom Scott fired just wide.

Sydney Ibie continued stretching the Villa defence.   His low shot went across the front of the goal and then, following a run up the right, he sent over a high cross, which did not attract a touch.   Josh Helmore broke through the middle but Terry Buss dived to save at his feet and was hurt in doing so.

Terry Buss saves at Josh Helmore's feet

Half time score: Northwood 0   Hanworth Villa 0

The Villains went ahead in the 5th minute of the second half, through skipper Tom Bender, who headed home from a corner.

Tom Bender heads Villa's first goal

The visitors went near to increasing their lead several times in the next few minutes, as they were twice foiled by Andrew McCorkell and also had an effort  cleared off of the goal line.

The Woods then had their best spell of the match in their quest for an equaliser.  A wide free kick taken by Northwood skipper, Keagan Cole was headed away.   Then Sydney Ibie went on a dangerous run, cut in but was dispossessed.  He followed this with a run down the wing but again failed to break through.

Sydney Ibie on a dangerous run

Sam Jenkins released Keagan Cole, who tried a back heel.   A lengthy siege on the Villains goal saw several shots charged down.   Then Sydney Ibie made another strong run but again his final pass failed to find a teammate.  Andy Lomas set Sydney up but he shot wide.

The Villains won consecutive corners from the right in the 85th minute.   The first was charged down and the second produced their second goal, again headed home by Tom Bender.

Tom Bender (6) heads Villa's second
James Gurteen (6) shoots...

The Villain’s custodian, Terry Buss saved low down from James Gurteen.

...and Terry Buss saves

Jordan Ellis scored the visitors’ third goal with a well hit long shot.

The ball flies in for Villa's third

The last action of the match saw Terry Buss making a close range save.

Referee Reece Pinchback enjoyed a very good match, ably supported by his  Assistant Referees, Fernando Costache and Tom Healy, both of whom are Middlesex FA referees.  Fernando was injured in a collision with a player early in the first half but bravely battled on, despite suffering considerable discomfort.

An unfortunate collision involving assistant referee Fernando Costache

Final score: Northwood 0   Hanworth Villa 3

Northwood: Andrew McCorkell, Sam Jenkins (Rahim Jude-Boyd 87 min), Andy Lomas, Keagan Cole (capt), Luke Tingey, James Gurteen, Ronan Hutchins, Riccardo Alexander-Greenway, Josh Helmore, Sydney Ibie and Ergys Pepaj (Carl Stewart 58).

Unused substitutes: Lindell Stewart, Harry Gallagher, Brandon Kalu and Dan Daggett (gkpr).

Director of Football: Steve Ringrose   Head Coach: Ben Bukowski   Coach: Richard Elderfield.

Hanworth Villa: Terry Buss, Tom Jelly (Dapo Abitogun 87), Bruno Robertson-Tingle, Rob Sheriden, Louis Taylor, Tom Bender (capt), Charlie Ten-Grotenhuis (Jordan Williams 72), Tom Scott, Jonathan Hippolyte, Sam Merson and Duncan Culley (Jordan Ellis 67).

Unused Substitute: Ben Geraghty.

Manager: Simon Haughney   Assistant Managers: Paul Thomas and Leon Solomon.

Referee: Reece Pinchback   Assistant Referees: Fernando Costache and Tom Healy.

The other four Middlesex clubs engaged in this round were successful.  Uxbridge won 3-1 at Chertsey Town.   Ashford Town (Middlesex) won 3-1 at Walthamstow.   Bedfont Sports won a penalty shoot-out with Hashtag United 5-4 after a 2-2 draw.   Finally, Southall recorded a goalless draw at Haywards Heath Town and won the penalty shoot-out 8-7. 

We thank Chris and Jim for braving the rain on a typical autumnal evening in West London, as ever they have selected some of their favourite shots, which are shown throughout the report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of photography.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album courtesy of Chris Benn