The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

The first round of this season’s Middlesex Under 16 Cup was contested on Sunday last, 16th October and our roving team visited Hatherop Park for the tie between Hampton Rangers Juniors and Twickenham Tigers.

We chose well!    After being warmly welcomed to Hampton Rangers’ impressive set up, we were treated to a skilful and competitive match, played in an excellent spirit by both teams.   Hampton Rangers had the edge in the first half, which nevertheless finished goalless.   Play flowed up and down the pitch in the second period.   Rangers went ahead after 15 minutes of the half.   Tigers equalised from a rather fortunate penalty with just 9 minutes remaining.   Rangers regained the lead 4 minutes later, only for Tigers to equalise again, with just 2 minutes of the 80 left to play.   Rangers then triumphed in the subsequent penalty shoot-out.

The first shot on goal, from around 25 yards by Rangers’ Thomas Lavery, was confidently taken by Tigers’ keeper, Asa Jennings.  At the other end, Rangers’ keeper, Shaydon Hasley saved Olivier Soleau’s low shot with his foot.

Both sides played attractive passing football but Rangers created most of the scoring chances in the first half.   Ethan Harris won the ball and set up Max Sturton, whose shot was saved.   Then Ethan’s low shot was saved.   Charlie Burnham’s header was just wide of the post.   Then Jacob Dingle’s pass across the goalmouth failed to attract a touch.

Then a good through ball by Max Sturton freed Jacob, who worked himself into a shooting position but fired wide.   A long-range drive by Jamie Macreadie was also wide.  Next, Tigers’ keeper Asa Jennings beat Ethan Harris to Charlie Burnham’s cross.   Then Charlie chased a long ball from Angus Cooney up the left and did well to keep it in play and force a corner.

In a rare Tigers break, Nikolozi Sulakvelidze shot just wide of the far post.

A promising run by Jamie Macreadie was thwarted by Tigers’ central defender, William Warry.   Max Sturton’s shot drifted just wide.   Then Asa Jennings fielded Angus Cooney’s through ball ahead of oncoming striker, Ethan Harris.

Tiger’s Olivier Soleau fed Casper Finnigan, whose cross failed to find a team-mate.

Score at half time: Hampton Rangers Juniors 0   Twickenham Tigers 0

Muddaser Ayoubazda took over in goal for Rangers after the interval.   He was kept much busier than Shaydon had been in the first half.   In the third minute of the half, he gathered Ethan Lynch’s dangerous through ball ahead of Olivier Soleau’s challenge.

The Rangers keeper challenges Teddy Harrison, who shoots wide

Muddaser then saved a shot from around 30 yards by Loic Terry.   He then challenged striker Teddy Harrison and did enough to make him shoot wide.   He followed this with a close range save from Teddy.

Ethan Harris (9) puts Rangers ahead

However, Rangers went ahead after 55 minutes, through striker Ethan Harris, who ran through and netted from close range.

Then a shot from Angus Cooney bounced awkwardly and was held by Asa Jennings at the second attempt.   Asa then leapt high to deny Ethan Harris.

Teddy Harrison won the ball in a dangerous position but his shot did not have sufficient power to trouble the Rangers’ goalkeeper.

Ethan Harris won the ball at the other end and cleared the crossbar with his shot.   Then Asa Jennings gathered a low shot from Angus Cooney.

A promising Tigers’ attack was ended when Tom Hewitt unceremoniously hacked the ball out for a corner.   Keeper Muddaser then saved Cathal Lucey’s shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Jimmy Mallinson has equalised for Tigers from a penalty

Twickenham Tigers equalised in the 71st minute from a penalty converted by Jimmy Mallinson, after Jamie Macreadie had handled in the box.  It was an unfortunate handball but the decision was correct, according to the current interpretation of the law.

Ethan Harris shoots...

4 minutes later, Jamie Macreadie supplied the pass for Ethan Harris to regain the lead for Hampton Rangers, from close range.

...and Rangers retake the lead

This lead did not last very long.   In the 87th minute, Jimmy Mallinson headed the ball over the keeper for Tigers’ second equaliser.

Jimmy Mallinson makes the score 2-2

In the last seconds of the match, Ethan Harris went on a run and released a final shot which was off target.

Score after 80 minutes: Hampton Rangers Juniors 2   Twickenham Tigers 2

Muddaser Ayoubazda pushes the first shoot out penalty onto his crossbar

Stanley Kelly took the first kick in the penalty shoot-out for Tigers and keeper Muddaser Ayoubazda saved by pushing it onto the crossbar.

Charlie Burnham converted for Rangers, to put them ahead.

The position got worse for Tigers, when Jimmy Mallinson hit their second penalty wide of the post.   Angus Cooney then made the penalty score 2-0 to Rangers.

The third pair of penalty takers, Loic Terry (Tigers) and Ethan Harris (Rangers) were both successful with their kicks, as were the fourth pair, Casper Finnigan (Tigers) and Tom Hewitt (Rangers), who struck the shot which decided the tie.

Tom Hewitt receives the congratulations after netting the deciding penalty

Result of penalty shoot-out: Twickenham Tigers 2 Hampton Rangers Juniors 4

Keeper Muddaser Ayoubazda joins the celebrations

The match was well handled by referee David Jones.   David was a busy man, having refereed a Hampton Rangers Under 11 match, which finished shortly before our kick-off.


Hanworth Rangers: Shaydon Hasley, Ethan Harris, Tom Hewitt, Angus Cooney, Thomas Lavery, Jamie Macreadie, Max Sturton, Jacob Dingle, Charlie Burnham, James Williams, Jake Bannister.

Rolling substitutes: Muddaser Ayoubazda (gkpr), Leandro Rahman and Joshua Cowper.

Twickenham Tigers: Asa Jennings, Stanley Kelly, Ethan Lynch, Max Bruce-Ball, William Warry, Max Chapman, Cathal Lucey, Olivier Soleau, Nikolozi Sulakvelidze, Loic Terry, Teddy Harrison.

Rolling substitutes: Jimmy Mallinson and Casper Finnigan.

As ever we thank our roving team of Chris & Jim for giving up their time to take in this exciting First Round matchup. As customary, Chris & Jim have sat down to review the photos captured at the match, and have selected their favourite shots. These can be reviewed throughout the report, Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All