The teams take the field


Jim Taylor

There were 4 Middlesex FA affiliated clubs engaged in the 4th Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday last, 15th October and your roving team continued to follow the progress of Hendon FC, by visiting Silver Jubilee Park for their match against National League South opponents Chippenham Town. 

The visitors made a great start and went two goals ahead in the opening 15 minutes.   They comfortably held onto this lead and appeared to have the tie sewn up at half time.   However, as in the previous round against Herne Bay, Hendon stormed back.   They drew level in the first 12 minutes of the second period.   After that the ball flowed up and down the field in a superb match up, which Hendon had a great opportunity of winning during added time.   However, the Bluebirds’ fine custodian, Will Henry ensured that this epic encounter would go to a replay, with an excellent penalty save.

Hendon had entered this season’s competition in the 1st Qualifying Round and had reached this stage by beating Potton United 5-1 (away), Wingate & Finchley 3-1 (home) and Herne Bay 3-2 (home).   Chippenham Town had come in at the 2nd Qualifying Round and had disposed of Sholing 3-0 (home) and Metropolitan Police 2-1 (away).

Will Henry was the first keeper in action, when he took Frank Keita’s cross from the right wing.

Craig Fasanmade heads Chippenham Town in front

The Bluebirds took the lead in the 12th minute when Craig Fasanmade scored with a great header from a cross from the left, delivered by Harvey Greenslade.

Jorad Young's low free kick puts Chippenham Town two up

They doubled their lead 3 minutes later.   Hendon’s Rhodell Gordon fouled Jordan Young, just outside the box on the right and received a caution.   Young hit the resulting free kick low through the crowded goalmouth and past the unsighted Marcin Brzozowski.

Hendon struck back and Frank Keita made a good run up the right.   Rhodell Gordon met his pass but was off target.

Chippenham’s Alefe D’Abadia released Jordan Young but a timely tackle by Gio Palmer saved the situation at the expense of a corner, which was eventually cleared.

Harvey Greenslade burst through the home defence and went down in the box.  The visitors’ appeals for a penalty were ignored.   A long-range free kick by Joe Hanks was turned over the bar by Marcin Brzozowski.  Then Joe Hanks was dispossessed by Solomon Sambou, after a penetrating run.

Score at half time: Hendon 0   Chippenham Town 2

Frank Keita is tripped by Luke Russe...

Hendon immediately went onto the attack and were awarded a penalty four  minutes after the interval.  Frank Keita burst through the middle of the Chippenham defence and was tripped in front of goal by Luke Russe.   After consulting his assistant, referee Jack Packman decided that a yellow card was sufficient punishment for Russe.   Liam Brooks converted the kick to put Hendon back into the match.

...and Liam Brooks converts the penalty

Liam Brooks is tripped outside the box...

Liam Brooks added a spectacular second goal in the 57th minute.   He was tripped in a central position outside the box.   Rhodell Gordon hit the crossbar with the resulting free kick and Liam volleyed the rebound home for the equaliser.

...Rhodell Gordon's free kick hits the bar...

...and Liam Brooks volleys the rebound home to make it 2-2

The Bluebirds hit back.  Marcin Brzozowski made a great close range save from Alefe D’Abadia, who had been set-up by Craig Fasanmade.  A wicked cross from Harvey Greenslade failed to attract a connection in the home goalmouth.  A run by Jordan Young was illegally halted by Dave Diedhiou, who was booked.   A slick passing movement ended with Eddie Jones firing over the bar.

Liam Brooks released Bobson Bawling on the left but Bobson hit the side netting.

Alefe D'Abadia shoots...

Marcin saved low down from Jordan Young and then Jordan shot just past the post from 25 yards.   Craig Fasanmade was brought down just outside the Hendon box after some good approach work and Alefe D’Abadia crashed the ball against the crossbar, following Jordan Young’s free kick.

... and the ball crashes against the Hendon bar

Rhodell Gordon’s long free kick was headed on by Dave Diedhiou and was scrambled for a corner.   Rhodell took the kick and Will Henry eventually saved at close range.   At the other end, Jordan Young’s free kick was impressively taken high up by Marcin.

Will Henry saved at close range from Tarik Moore.   Next Will Tizzard headed over the bar from a Chippenham corner.

Will Henry then left his area to kick clear from Frank Keita.

The referee shows Will Richards the red card after pointing to the penalty spot

In the 3rd minute of added time, Frank Keita was again brought down in the visitors’ penalty area.   This time the offender, Will Richards, received a red card.   However, keeper Will Henry guessed correctly and dived to his right to save Liam Brooks’ kick.

Will Henry saves Liam Brooks' penalty

Final Score: Hendon 2   Chippenham Town 2


Hendon: Marcin Brzozowski, Dave Diedhiou, Giovanni Palmer (Josh Dawodu 75 min), Solomon Sambou (Kieron Forbes 80), Tommy Brewer (capt), Tarik Moore, Frank Keita, Arthur Iontton, Joe White (Bobson Bawling 34) , Liam Brooks and Rohdell Gordon.

Unused substitutes: Bradley Shaw, Robbie Buchanan, Shaun Lucien and Luca Allinson.

Manager: Lee Allinson   Assistant Manager: Cameron Mawer

Chippenham Town FC: Will Henry, Eddie Jones, Spencer Hamilton (capt), Will Richards, Alefe D’Abadia, Jordan Young, Craig Fasanmade (Alex Bray 90+2), Joe Hanks, Will Tizzard, Harvey Greenslade (Joe Parker 83) and Luke Russe.

Unused substitutes: Leighton Tuodolo, Callum Gunner, Tom Mehew, Caine Bradbury and Sam Case (gkpr).

Manager: Gary Horgan   Assistant Manager: Matt Coupe

Referee: Jack Packman   Assistant Referees: Luigi Lungarella and Thomas Whey   Fourth Official: Alan Steward.

Attendance: 435.

The other Middlesex clubs involved at this stage of the competition suffered mixed fortunes.

Hampton & Richmond Borough will also be involved in a replay, after a 2-2 draw at Torquay United.   They went 2 goals up through Temi Babalola and Jake Gray before a late fight back by their hosts.

Barnet beat Weston-super-Mare 3-0 at The Hive, through goals by Dom Revan, Dale Gorman (pen) and Idris Kanu.

Wealdstone lost a classic encounter at Boreham Wood.   They were 3 goals down after 66 minutes but hit back with goals by Olufela Olomola (2) and Simeon Akinola before eventually losing 5-3.

We thank Chris and Jim for giving up their time to visit Silver Jubilee Park for this exciting match, as ever, they have picked out their favourite shots from the match and Chris has very kindly provided a full album of imagery.

Chris and Jim's Picks

Full Album courtesy of Chris Benn

Following their replays, unfortunately, both Hendon and Hampton & Richmond Borough came up just short of the First Round in this years FA Cup competition. Hendon went down 1-0 away at Chippenham, whilst it was a case of déjà vu for Hampton & Richmond Borough who took a 1-0 lead into the half-time interval, before a second half fight back from Torquay United who eventually ran out 2-1 winners at the Beaveree on Tuesday night.

On Monday 17th Ocotber, the First Round draw was made and the remaining Middlesex Club, Barnet, will host National League South side, Chelmsford City for a place in Round 2.