The teams take the field


Jim Taylor

This season’s Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup has now progressed to the second round and your roving team covered its first match.   This was played on Tuesday, 1st November at the Honeycroft, between Uxbridge and Enfield Town, who produced a very good cup tie, which culminated in an exciting conclusion.  

Enfield Town led by a single goal at the half time interval but Uxbridge equalised with 10 minutes remaining and then took the lead.   Then Enfield Town equalised in the 88th minute and won the penalty shoot-out.  

Referee James Hall controlled the match very well and he was ably supported by his assistants.   All 3 teams on the pitch should be congratulated on their performances.

The prelimiaries

There was early action at both ends of the field.   Uxbridge’s Lewis Patrick attacked up the left but keeper Adi Connelly beat Dan Williams to his pass.   Victor Osobu cut in and forced a corner for Uxbridge.   Enfield Town striker, Jake Cass ran onto a long ball but was dispossessed.   Jake was then in a one-on-one with keeper Matty Bonnett, whose challenge probably forced Jake to fire wide.

Jake Cass (9) has a 1 on 1 with the Uxbridge keeper

Victor Osobu broke clear but his well struck low shot was deflected by a defender for a corner.

Enfield Town went ahead in the 19th minute.   A through ball from James Dayton found Jake Cass, who released Hamilton Antonio.   Hamilton’s shot was deflected behind for a corner.   Lyle Della-Verdi took the kick and sent over an awkward in-swinging delivery, which entered the net off of goalkeeper, Matty Bonnett.

Enfield Town take the lead from a corner

Victor Osobu broke away up the wing but his low cross was intercepted by the Enfield keeper.   Then Stephane Bombelenga’s promising run was halted by a timely tackle.

Jake Cass won possession in the Uxbridge penalty area but was foiled by a close range save by Matty Bonnett.

Matty Bonnett saves at close range from Jake Cass

Both sides had chances as the interval approached.   A shot from Dan Williams was blocked by a Town defender for a corner.   Scott Donnelly won possession from the kick and set up Victor Osobu, whose drive curled wide.  

Lyle Della-Verde put Jake Cass through but he was frustrated by the advancing Matty Bonnett.    The Uxbridge keeper then left his penalty area to repel an attack with his head.

Dan Williams broke away down the right and smacked a shot against the visitors’ goalpost.

Lyle Della-Verde cleared the Uxbridge bar with a snap-shot from around 25 yards.   Finally, Victor Osobu fed Kensley Maloney, who fired too high.

Half time score: Uxbridge 0   Enfield Town 1

Lyle Della-Verde finished a good move by volleying over the home team’s crossbar.

Scott Donnelly had a couple of shots at the Town goal but was narrowly wide on both occasions.

James Dayton’s awkwardly bouncing low drive was safely taken by Matty Bonnett in the home goal.   At the other end, Jordan Ireland cleared the Enfield bar from 25 yards.

Enfield striker, Jake Cass made two more attempts on the Uxbridge goal.   He beat the keeper to a through ball but put it wide.  Then his shot went across goal, after he had again burst through the defence.

Enfield Town’s substitutes were causing Uxbridge problems.   Sam Youngs shot just wide from around 25 yards and Andre Coker was a threatening presence on the left after he was introduced in the 64th minute.

A good Uxbridge move involving Maurice Nugent and Victor Osobu ended with Victor shooting wide.

Gareth Chendlik heads Uxbridge's equaliser

Gareth Chendlik headed an equaliser for Uxbridge, from Dan Williams’ cross in the 80th minute.

Uxbridge substitute, Presley Evans was tripped around 30 yards out.   The resultant free kick, taken by Scott Donnelly was cleared.

Presley Evans (just hidden) shoots...

Uxbridge took the lead in the 85th minute through a low drive from Presley, which went across the keeper into the net, as the Town players were appealing for a trip.

...and Uxbridge go 2-1 ahead

In the 88th minute, Enfield Town were awarded a free kick for handball, in a central position just outside the Uxbridge penalty area.   Andre Coker blasted the ball into the net to make the score 2-2.

Andre Coker's free kick takes the match to a penalty shoot-out

Score after 90 minutes: Uxbridge 2   Enfield Town 2

The first 13 spot kicks in the penalty shoot-out were of an exceptional quality.   The respective goalkeepers didn’t come near to saving any of them

Enfield Town went first and their 7 scorers were Sam Youngs, Lewis Taaffe, Jake Cass, James Dayton, Andre Coker, Joseph Payne and Wraynel Hercules.

Uxbridge’s scored through Gareth Chendlik, Dan Williams, Scott Donnelly, Andy Ofosu, Joseph Jackson and Presley Evans before Maurice Nugent hit their 7th penalty high over the crossbar.

Morris Nugent's penalty worries everyone who has used the car park

Penalty shoot-out score: Enfield Town 7   Uxbridge 6


Uxbridge: Matty Bonnett, Maurice Nugent, Lewis Patrick (Dan Boswell 82 mins), Elliott Poley, Harry Seabrook, Kensley Maloney (Presley Evans 75), Jordan Ireland (Joseph Jackson 62), Scott Donnelly, Dan Williams, Victor Osobu (Gareth Chendlik 75) and Stephane Bombelenga (Andy Ofosu 62).

Manager: Danny Edwards   Assistant Manager: Fred Cummings.

Enfield Town: Adi Connelly, Dequane Wilson-Braithwaite, Joseph Payne, Scott Thomas (Juevan Spencer 46) , Lewis Knight, James Richmond (Sam Youngs 46), Wraynel Hercules, Hamilton Antonio (Lewis Taafe 76), Jake Cass, James Dayton and Lyle Della-Verde (Andre Coker 64).

Unused substitute: Adam Cunnington.

Manager: Andy Leese   Assistant Manager: Mario Nato.

Referee: James Hall   Assistant Referees: Robert Reid and Michael Oakes.

Attendance: 55

We thanks Chris and Jim for covering an entertaining match up in the Senior Challenge Cup, as ever they have reviewed Chris' photos and selected their favourite shots, which can be viewed throughout the report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full album courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All