The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

The first round of this season’s Middlesex Sunday Intermediate Cup was concluded on Sunday last, 30th October and your roving team watched the tie between Barnet Sunday League clubs, Mill Hill Club de Futbol and Continental, at the pleasantly verdant Old Camdenians ground,

Both teams played skilful attractive football and provided a very watchable match, the result of which was in the balance almost to the end.   An added bonus was that the early morning rain stopped before the kick off.   The ball moved swiftly up and down the field and goals came regularly.   It could be said that some of the defensive work on view might have been better, but we were not complaining.

Continental built up a two-nil lead in the first half hour’s play but Mill Hill were level before the half time interval.   Mill Hill then took the lead within 2 minutes of the restart but Continental equalised just before the hour.   The scores then remained level until Mill Hill regained the lead with 14 minutes remaining.   They scored again, to clinch victory, 7 minutes later.

Mill Hill’s Salar Jafarifar headed wide, from a corner taken by their dead ball specialist, Jack Francis’ in the 5th minute.   At the other end, Glen Geddis charged through the middle of the Mill Hill defence and his shot was parried by keeper, Oliver Nicholls.   Glen collected the loose ball and shot again.   Again, Oliver saved!

Glen Geddis scores Continental's first goal

The visitors took the lead in the 15th minute when Glen Geddis netted from Nathan Dennis’ cross.

Continental keeper, Reece Wilson was hurt saving at an oncoming forward’s feet in the 17th minute but was soon able to continue.

Nathan Dennis sped up the wing and fed Glen Geddis, whose shot was deflected for a corner by a defender’s foot.   Glen threatened again but was hustled off of the ball before he could release a shot.

Austin Gash (5) shoots...

However, in the 27th minute, Glen nodded the ball down for Austin Gash to run on and hit Continental’s second goal.

...and Continental go two up

Reece Wilson got a hand to a Mill Hill corner but it had to be cleared off of the goal line by defender, Artur Robins.  Then a free kick by Jack Francis flew across the visitors’ goalmouth, without attracting a touch.

The ball is cleared off of the Continental goal line by Artur Robins

Salar Jafarifar (99) reduces the deficit

Mill Hill reduced the deficit in the 37th minute.   Ali Boucenna was felled about 25 yards from goal in a central position.   Jack Francis’ free kick was pushed out to Salar Jafarifar, who netted from close range.

Jack Francis' free kick goes through the keeper's legs to make the score 2-2

The equaliser followed 3 minutes later.   Ali Boucenna was again fouled in a central position, a few yards further back this time.   Jack Francis’ free kick went through the crowded goalmouth and through the unfortunate unsighted keeper’s legs.

Score at half time: Mill Hill Club de Futbol 2   Continental 2

Luke Stevens is fouled...

Mill Hill continued their offensive into the second half.   The keeper pushed out Jack Francis’ corner to Salar Jafarifar, whose shot was charged down.  Luke Stevens was tripped in the ensuing melee and Jack Francis converted the penalty to give his side the lead.

...and Jack Francis scores from the spot

Continental’s Glen Geddis got his head to free kick but the ball went across goal and wide of the far post.   Then Andrew Senesie made a penetrating run before he was dispossessed.

Austin Gash (half hidden) shoots...

In the 58th minute, Austin Gash hit a shot high into the home net, to level the scores at 3-3.

...and the scores are level again

Reece Wilson saved Dave Vacca’s shot for Mill Hill and although he couldn’t hold it, he beat Salar Jafarifar to the rebound.

Glen Geddis was tripped just outside the Mill Hill penalty area.   Nathan Dennis took the free kick, which was pushed over the bar by Oliver Nicholls.   Then James Dennis shot wide in a goalmouth scramble.

Leo Kaye (by the post) heads Mill Hill's fourth goal

Leo Kaye headed Mill Hill back in front in the 76th minute, following a long throw-in by Jack Francis.

Leo Kaye had a further chance but he hit his shot just too high.   Then Reece Wilson leapt to take a Jack Francis header, under considerable pressure.

Glen Geddis worked through the home defence but his shot from an angle passed outside the far post.

Ben Francis (6) nets Mill Hill's fifth goal

Reece Wilson saved low down from Leo Kaye.   Then Ben Francis made the game safe for Mill Hill in the 83rd minute, after the keeper had pushed Jack Francis’ corner out to him.

Result: Mill Hill Club de Futbol 5   Continental 3

Referee Vishaal Patel had a very good match and contributed to the morning’s entertainment with his sensible decision making and game management.


Mill Hill Club de Futbol: Oliver Nicholls, Alex Torreiro, Richard Turner, Cornelius Wilton-Waddell (capt), Ben Francis, Chris Jones, Jack Francis, Luke Stevens, Salar Jafarifar, Ali Boucenna and Dave Vacca.

Rolling substitutes: Peter Rosemin, Brandon Smith, Leo Kaye. Tom Blair and Chris Andrews.

Continental: Reece Wilson, Raheem McKenzie, Dominic Charles (capt), Reis Field, James Dennis, Nathan Dennis, Artur Robins, Andrew Senesie, Glen Geddes, Danny Hancock and Austin Gash.

Rolling substitutes: Junior Adeoye, Kaleb Smith, Sonney Colligan and Trevor Lovegrove.

Mill Hill Club de Futbol will now entertain Enfield United, in Round 2 on November 20th.

As always we thank Chris and Jim for their efforts in covering this tie. They have sat down togethter to review Chris' captures, and selected their favourite shots from the game, these can be seen throughout the report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All