The match officials and team captains


Jim Taylor

The finals of the Middlesex FA Under 12, Under 13 and Under 14 Cups were all contested at Rectory Park on Sunday, 8th May.   The final game of the day was the JN Smith Under 14 Cup final between West Drayton Youth Red and Enfield Town Youth EJA.   

This Cup was first played for during the 1969-70 season, when it was won by Heston CA.  Because of the pandemic, this is the first final in the competition to be played since 2019.

48 teams entered this season.

West Drayton Youth Red currently play in the Premier Division of the Harrow Youth League and Enfield Town Youth in the Eastern Junior Alliance.

West Drayton received a bye in round 1 of this season’s competition and then progressed to the final by winning 4 home matches.  They beat Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth 9-0 in round 2, Celtic White 4-0 in round 3, Parkfield Youth Red 3-0 in the quarter-final and Elite London ELA 1-0 in the semi-final.

Enfield Town beat Northwood Youth White 4-0 away in round 1, Omonia Youth Gold 6-0 at home in round 2, Parkfield Youth White 2-0 away in round 3, Harrow United Red 2-0 at home in the quarter-final and Whitton Wanderers Youth Eagles 8-0 at home in the semi-final.

The duration of matches in this cup is 35 minutes each way.

A very entertaining game was won by West Drayton, with a single goal in the first 5 minutes.  This certainly wasn’t the end of the action.   Plenty of good football was played throughout the game and many chances were created.   Both goalkeepers were very instrumental in the subsequent shortage of goals.

The teams take the field
The pre-match presentations
A pre-match group photo

The first goalmouth action of the match produced what turned out to be the winning goal for West Drayton.  Mason Williams provided the approach work to set up Kye Carter-Osborne, who netted from just inside the penalty box.

Kye Carter-Osborne scores the only goal of the match

More good approach work by Mason provided West Drayton top scorer, Ryan Bailey Powers with a shooting opportunity.  His shot was blocked for a corner. 

Mason then had a shot, after cutting in from the wing.  Enfield goalkeeper, Logan Timothy saved.  Then Kye Carter-Osborne hit a long-range free kick over the Enfield Town crossbar. 

Enfield Town came into the game as it progressed.  Jack Heaton hit a long free kick from the left, which landed in the penalty area but evaded all attempts at contact and bounced straight through to goalkeeper, George Hill.

George Hill saves from Samuel Sofoluwe

George saved a drive from Samuel Sofoluwe.  Then Samuel headed a wide free kick by Lucas Titchmarsh just past the angle of crossbar and post.

Samuel's header from a wide free kick just misses

At the other end of the pitch, Logan Timothy saved a low drive from Mason Williams.

Enfield midfielder, Harry Chetwood’s shot from more than 30 yards was well saved by George Hill.

Score at half time: West Drayton Youth Red 1   Enfield Town Youth EJA 0


An Enfield free kick bounces through to the keeper

A free kick from around 25 yards, by Harry Chetwood, hit the West Drayton side netting.  Another Enfield free kick, from wide on the left, bounced through to the keeper.

West Drayton winger, Danny Gobishavi cut in and released an angled shot which Logan Timothy saved.


George Hill saves at the feet of the Enfield strikers

Enfield’s Samuel Sofoluwe delivered a good through ball, which resulted in West Drayton custodian, George Hill saving at the feet Lucas Titchmarsh and

Darren Mayala Solo.

Logan Timothy produces a fine save

Logan Timothy produced a fine high save from a free kick taken by West Drayton skipper, Josh Sibley.

Kye Carter-Osborne progressed through the Enfield defence, despite being tripped (a good advantage call by the referee) and set up Ryan Bailey Powers, whose shot was blocked.

Logan Timothy now made several comfortable takes during a spell of West Drayton pressure.

Josh Sibley burst into Enfield’s box and went to ground but his side’s appeals for a penalty were in vain.

Enfield captain, Aler Erdal put Lucas Titchmarsh through but George Hill saved at his feet.

West Drayton’s Danny Gobishavi had to depart from the action after he received a second yellow card in the 65th minute.


George Hill catches an Enfield corner

George Hill saved well from Harry Chetwood, tipping his shot for a corner.  George then caught the corner kick.

Keeper, Logan Timothy, joined in Enfield’s attempts to grab an equaliser in the hectic closing stages of the match.  He went up-field to take a long free kick  and then into the opposing penalty area, for a corner kick.

Logan Timothy advances into the West Drayton penalty area

Final score: West Drayton Youth Red 1   Enfield Town Youth EJA 0

The winners with the cup

Referee Anthony Headlam handled the game very well.  He received good support from his team.

The Guest of Honour was Robin Machell, an Honorary Member of Middlesex FA.   Robin travelled up from Sussex, where he now resides, to be with us for this match.  He has given sterling service to our great game, mainly in the Refereeing and Youth spheres of activity.   He is the proud holder of both the FA 50 Year Award and Life Membership of the Referees’ Association.

Robin was presented to the teams and match officials before the game and presented the cup and individual mementoes afterwards.  He chose Enfield Town goalkeeper, Logan Timothy as Player of the Match.

The attendance was 169.

West Drayton: George Hill, Reggie Whitehead, Josh Sibley (capt), Leo Camacho, Tayshawn Mensah, Matt Osei-Tutu, Kye Carter-Osborne, Mason Williams, Ryan Bailey Powers, Danny Gobishavi and Alseny Sylla.

Rolling substitutes: Mo Mir, Alfie Hill and Ahmad Skaiky.

Manager: Phil Martin   Coaches: Michael Williams and Norman Bailey Powers.

Enfield Town Youth: Logan Timothy, Harry Daniels, Edward Kay, Aler Erdal (capt), Koray Erdal, Luca Seguna, Charlie Clark, Harry Chetwood, Lucas Titchmarsh, Jack Heaton and Samuel Sofoluwe.

Rolling substitutes: Mbande Ginga, Max Sutton, Joseph Beacham and Darren Mayala Solo.

Manager: Mark Seguna   Coaches: John Sutton and Gary Clark.  

Referee: Anthony Headlam   Assistant Referees: Gary Little and Orin Miller   Fourth Official: Earl Simpson.

Chris & Jim have been busy working away across our 25 Cup Finals so we are always delighted to have them join us, as ever they have taken the time to pick out their favourite images from the match, Chris has also kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All