The team captains and match officials


Jim Taylor

The ninth of our cup finals to be contested this season, the Sunday Junior Trophy, took place at Green Lane Sports & Social Club, the excellent home of CB Hounslow United FC on Sunday, 24th April.  The teams involved were NW Galacticos and Highgate Albion 4ths.  The morning’s events were covered by our roving team of Chris Benn (photographer) and Jim Taylor (reporter).

The Sunday Junior Trophy is a comparative newcomer to our range of trophies.    Enfield Rangers Old Boys were the first winners in season 1985-86.   41 teams entered the competition this season.

NW Galacticos reached this season’s final, in an impressive manner, with victories over Hare & Hounds (3-0 away) in round 1, Harrow Hive (6-0 away) in round 2, Harrow St Mary’s Sunday Reserves (4-1 home) in round 3, Banstead Eagles (6-5 home) in the quarter-final and Drayton 70 (5-1 away) in the semi-final.

Highgate Albion 4th’s path to the final was also very convincing.  They had a bye in round 1 and then recorded victories over Homenetmen London (6-3 away) in round 2, the current holders, Hampton Terriers (5-1 away) in round 3, Woodland United (7-1 home) in the quarter-final and Arnos Rangers (5-1 home) in the semi-final.

The presentations


Both clubs are members of the Barnet Sunday League.  Galacticos currently play in Division 5 and Highgate Albion 4ths in Division 6.

This hard fought and evenly contested final was goal-less at the interval.  Highgate Albion broke the deadlock midway through the second half but Galacticos equalised with 9 minutes of normal time remaining.  The match went to penalties and the Albion keeper saved the first 2 Galacticos shots to win the Trophy for his side.

Daniel Maragh watches closely as James Dill releases his long throw into the Galacticos goalmouth...


Highgate Albion used the impressively long throw of fullback James Dill as a weapon, during their first incursion into the Galacticos goalmouth and regularly throughout the match.

...and causes consternation


Jason Rice then sped down the wing for Albion but his centre was intercepted by Galacticos captain, Boluwatife Adegbemile, who was a tower of strength in the middle of his defence throughout the game.

Galacticos striker, Tyriq Hunte set up Tayahan Bunting, whose cross was safely fielded by keeper Henrique Santana. 

A tackle by Albion’s Freddie Palmer on Ronaldo Gashi sparked a confrontation, which quickly involved other players.  Palmer was booked for the tackle and Gashi for his reaction.  The resultant long free kick was headed over his bar by Michael Cox.  Then, another long Highgate free kick, taken by Chelsea Sabine was held high up by keeper, Bassam Bakeir.

The referee then found it necessary to halt proceedings to have further words with Ronaldo Gashi, in the company of his captain.

Galacticos striker, Tyriq Hunte intercepted a pass and put himself into a one-on-one situation with Albion keeper, Henrique Santana, which the latter won.

Harry Husseyin's (10) free kick...


Albion’s Chelsea Sabine had two good chances but lacked the composure to convert either of them.  Then his team-mate, Harry Husseyin, was fouled outside the box, took the resulting free kick himself and hit it at the wall, which managed to clear it. somehow dealt with by the Galacticos wall


At the other end, Henrique Santana saved a low drive from Tyriq Hunte and then Ermir Selmani let fly from 30 yards but shot too high.

Highgate Albion mounted more attacks in the added time at the end of the half.  Jason Rice released Kyle Kidd, who was tackled as he was about to shoot.  Then Bassam Bakeir punched out a cross shot from James Dill.

Score at half time: NW Galacticos 0   Highgate Albion 4ths 0

Ashlee Hibbert netted for Galacticos but was adjudged offside.

A long free kick by Harry Husseyin was punched away by Bassam Bakeir, who then did well to hold Harry’s half volley from Chelsea Sabine’s corner kick, which was hit through a crowd of players.

A close-range effort by Galacticos centre back, Ioan Vasilache, was stopped by Henrique Santana’s knees.

Callum Ali (16) nets the opening goal for Highgate Albion


Jason Rice hit the Galacticos side netting.  Then Highgate Albion took the lead in the 67th minute, when Callum Ali converted Harry Husseyin’s wide free kick.

Bassam then made a diving save from Jason Rice, following Harry Smyth’s corner kick.

Tyriq Hunte (45) equalises for Galacticos


Tyriq Hunte broke through and slid the ball home for Galacticos’s equaliser in the 81st minute.

The best scoring chance in the remaining time, including the 4 added minutes, fell to Albion’s Charlie Maitland, who just cleared the cross-bar, after being released by Matt Sellar.

So, for the second time this season, we went to penalties in a final.  The Senior Challenge Cup being the first instance of this happening.

Score at full time: NW Galacticos 1   Highgate Albion 4ths 1

Henrique Santana saves Galacticos' first penalty


Galacticos went first in the penalty shoot-out and Boluwatife Adegbemile’s  shot was brilliantly saved by the diving Henrique Santana.

Henrique Santana saves Galacticos' second penalty

Chelsea Sabine netted for Albion but then Henrique saved from Ioan Vasilache.

Harry Smyth made the score 2-0 to Albion.

Jason Rice hits the winning penalty for Highgate Albion

The 3rd pair of penalty takers, Tyriq Hunte (Galacticos) and Albert Hicks (Albion) were both successful with their kicks, as were the 4th pair, Tayahan Bunting (Galacticos) and Jason Rice (Albion).  Jason’s kick sealed the victory for Highgate Albion.

Result of Penalty Shoot-out:  NW Galacticos 2   Highgate Albion 4ths 4

Referee, Shaun Wills controlled the match very well, ably assisted by his colleagues.

Congratulations to Highgate Albion FC on their second Middlesex FA trophy win this season.  The club’s 2nd team won our Sunday Intermediate Cup, earlier in the month at Northwood FC.   Furthermore, the club’s first team are contesting the FA Sunday Cup final on Sunday next at Millwall FC.

The Guest of Honour, Middlesex FA Director, Barbara Bivens presented the Trophy and individual mementoes.  She chose the Highgate Albion goalkeeper, Henrique Santana as Player of the Match.  Henrique responded by doing several cartwheels – a first, I believe!

The player of the match celebrates his award

Our grateful thanks are given to CB Hounslow United, for the second time this season, for hosting our final.  The attendance was 122.

The winners with the cup

NW GALACTICOS: Bassam Bakeir, Ioan Vasilache, Boluwatife Adegbemile (capt), Dion Gashi, Ermir Selmani, Ronaldo Gashi, Tyreek Bunting, Tyriq Hunte, Ashlee Hibbert, Rio Julien and Tayahan Bunting.

Rolling substitutes: Altin Olloni, Ben Waldron, Leon Gashi, Cairo Baker and Christopher Charalambous.

Manager: Jetmir Selmani   Coaches: Michael Di Benedetto, Serxhjo Budshi and Aaron Hibbert.   Physio: Adeniyi Adenaike.

HIGHGATE ALBION 4THS: Henrique Scapin Santana, Jack Taylor, Chelsea Sabine, Jason Rice, Tim Le Breton (capt), Kyle Kidd, Harry Husseyin, James Dill, Michael Cox, Freddie Palmer and Albert Hicks.

Rolling substitutes: Harry Smyth, Matt Sellar, James Kelly, Callum Ali and Charlie Maitland.

Manager: Gareth Brooks   Coaches: Callum Cushing and Ricky Palmer.

REFEREE: Shaun Wills   ASSISTANT REFEREES: Daniel Maragh and Alexander Molloy and Jake Martin.

We thank Chris & Jim for giving up their time to cover this match, as ever they have selected some shots from the key moments in the game, which can be found throughout the report. Chris has very kindly supplied a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim’s Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn