The toss


Jim Taylor

The Semi Finals of the Middlesex FA U13 Cup were played last Sunday, 13th March.   Our roving team of Chris Benn (photographer) and Jim Taylor (reporter) chose to cover the game between Total Futbol Red and Wealdstone Youth Red, which was played on the 3G surface at Middlesex FA’s Rectory Park HQ.  

Total Futbol Red had scored 28 goals and conceded just 3 in their 4 matches on the way to the semi-final.   They had beaten Hendon Youth Red (9-1) at home and then recorded away wins at Parkfield Youth Red (6-0), Parks (Youth) FC (7-2) and Pinnstars Red (6-0).

Wealdstone Youth Red had netted 26 times and conceded 10 times.  They recorded home wins over Ruislip Rangers Reds (8-3) and Ashford Town (Middlesex) Juniors (5-1) and then had an away win against Harefield United Reds (9-2).   In their quarter final, also away, they were held to a 4-4 draw by London Lions EJA, before winning the penalty shoot-out.

Matches in this age group are played over two halves of 35 minutes each.  This match, which moved rapidly up and down the field, produced some skilful football from both sides.  The game was played in a very good spirit and was a pleasure to watch.   However, Total Futbol generally had the better of the exchanges and were well worth their 3-0 victory.

The first effort on goal was delivered by Total Futbol’s Kai Errington.   His shot on the turn, from Charlie Side’s pass, flew just wide.   Kai had an outstanding match and his team’s movements revolved largely around him.   His work rate was phenomenal.

Kaream Thomas hits a free kick for Total Futbol...

Kaream Thomas, who also had a good match, put Total Futbol ahead in the 14th minute, with a free kick from the edge of the penalty box.

...and scores the first goal
The congratulations

Total Futbol’s Charlie Side went on a good run but ran out of room.   Kaream Thomas and Kai Errington continued to trouble the Wealdstone rear-guard and created further scoring opportunities.

A penalty for Wealdstone?

Wealdstone had a good chance to equalise in the 30th minute, when they were awarded a penalty for a foul committed just inside the box.   However, Teddy Meade’s shot hit the post.

Teddy Meade's penalty kick hits the post

Total Futbol resumed the attack and Wealdstone keeper, Owen Miall-Smith moved quickly to beat Michael Gidikov to a long ball up the middle.  Archie Friday’s long shot was just too high.   Then the keeper saved from Michael Gidikov and also from Aryan Patel, who connected with the rebound.

Half time score: Total Futbol Red 1   Wealdstone Youth Red 0

Wealdstone started the second half well and forced a corner from the kick off.  Then Mehmetaj Troj tried a long range shot but fired it too high.

Total Futbol’s Jack Ruddick hit a difficult bouncing shot, which the keeper covered well.

Mehmetaj’s long free kick for Wealdstone was handled just outside the penalty box but Harry White hit the resulting free kick over the bar.

Kaream Thomas nets Total Futbol's second goal

Kaream Thomas volleyed home Michael Gidikov’s cross to put Total Futbol two up in the 46th minute.

Total Futbol continued to press.   Michael fed Kai, who took the ball through the defence but keeper, Owen Miall-Smith saved at his feet.   Then Kai’s cross shot hit a post and rebounded into Owen’s hands.

Wealdstone’s Teddy Meade’s low shot was deflected and flew just wide.

A good Total Futbol move resulted in Kaream releasing Harry Ward up the wing.   Harry’s low centre was collected by keeper Owen Miall-Smith.

Total Futbol’s custodian, Taylor Arnott saved at Horatio Sticca’s feet.

Kai Errington scores Total Futbol's third goal

Kai Errington slotted home Total Futbol’s 3rd goal, from a pass by Elias Berrouane, in the 60th minute.

A diving save by Owen Miall-Smith

Both sides had further chances before the final whistle.   Anis Chaouki of Wealdstone hit a free kick narrowly wide from a central position 30 yards out.   Owen Miall-Smith dived to turn Harry Ward’s shot for a corner.   Then Harry Ward found Rayan Fatahi with a perceptive through ball, which enabled Rayan to test the keeper.   Finally, Teddy Meade shot just over from 25 yards.

Final score: Total Futbol Red 3   Wealdstone Youth Red 0

The third team on the pitch were excellent.   Referee Kristian Booth controlled proceedings very efficiently with good support from his colleagues.

Total Futbol: Taylor Arnett, Raphie London, Teddy Moulder, Charlie Side (capt), Jack Ruddick, Kai Errington, Kaream Thomas, Elias Berrouane, Harry Ward, Arc hie Friday and Tao Liverpool.

Rolling substitutes: Michael Gidikov, Armend Muslika, Dereon Wray, Aryan Patel and Rayan Fatahi.

Wealdstone Youth: Owen Miall-Smith, Alex Yerby, Oliver King, Mehmetaj Troj (capt), Harry White, Jon Maqedonci, Horatio Sticca, Teddy Meade, Eli Van Beek, Riley Durkin and Anis Chaouki.

Rolling substitutes: Jayden Franklin, Syrups Emerinini and Charlie Batten.

Referee: Kristian Booth   Assistant Referees: Ben Sumner and Richard Coker.

The result of the other Semi Final was Northwood Youth Black 3   FC Starz Red 1.   The final is scheduled for Sunday, 8th May at Rectory Park (KO 12 noon). 

As always we thank Chris and Jim who capped off a busy weekend with a trip to their second County FA HQ of the weekend. As ever they have selected their favourite images which can be found throughout the report. Chris has also kindly provided a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full album courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All