The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

Southall resumed their league campaign on Tuesday evening last 15th March, aiming to overcome the disappointment of their unfortunate dismissal from the FA Vase, at the quarter final stage on the previous Saturday.   With promotion from the Premier Division North of the Combined Counties League now their priority, they faced Windsor at the Robert Parker Stadium.   Our roving team of Chris Benn (photographer) and Jim Taylor (reporter) went along.

Hanworth Villa have a massive 26 point lead at the top of the league table and only need a few more points to clinch the title.    Theoretically, Southall could still overtake their Middlesex rivals but that, given Villa’s current form, is very unlikely.   However, Southall are well placed to secure 2nd position.   Going into this game, Abbey Rangers, currently in second place, had 52 points from 25 matches, Egham Town 51 from 26, Southall 50 from only 22 and North Greenford United 49 from 27.

After a goalless first half in this game, Southall took the lead after 10 minutes of the second period.   However, due to a strange goal scored by Windsor in the 88th minute, they had to settle for one point

The first quarter of this match was fairly quiet and a little scrappy.  Southall tried to work openings but could not produce a telling shot on goal.   Windsor, making use of the long ball, looked to be the more threatening side.

The Southall defensive wall deals with a free kick

Windsor’s Lindell Stewart burst through the home defence in the 18th minute and was brought down inches outside the penalty box.   The resultant free kick, taken by Charlie Jaggers was dealt with by Southall’s defensive wall.

Berkley Laurencin dives to save Excellence Muhemba's spot kick

The visitors went even closer to scoring in the 26th minute.   Danny Horscroft was brought down in the penalty area.   Not for the first time this season, Southall were rescued by Berkley Laurencin, who dived to save Excellence Muhemba’s spot kick.

Berkley saves a long range free kick

Although the remainder of the first half was territorially even, Berkley was the busiest keeper.   He dealt comfortably with a couple of long-range free kicks and just before the interval, made a great double save.

Southall still couldn’t trouble Conaill Ryan, in the visitor’s goal.   Two medium range attempts were not quite hit cleanly and a couple of efforts by Louis Stead were off target.

Score at half time:  Southall 0   Windsor 0

Southall immediately went onto the offensive and Anthony O’Connor attacked up the middle but was overwhelmed by 3 defenders.

Carl Pearce connects with Ryan Hope's corner...

However, they went ahead in the 55th minute through Carl Pearce, who successfully evaded his markers to head home Ryan Hope’s corner.

...and Southall go one up

Having taken the lead, Southall continued to enjoy the better of the possession and created several more scoring opportunities, bringing some very good saves from the excellent Windsor keeper, Conaill Ryan.

Anthony O’Connor headed a corner just too high and then went down the wing and cut in before hitting a low cross, which didn’t attract a finishing touch.

Conaill Ryan saves a Lewis Driver header and is hurt in the process

A downward header by Lewis Driver, from a Louis Stead corner was saved low down by Conaill Ryan.    The keeper was hurt colliding with the challenging Anthony O’Connor and had to receive attention.   Anthony received a yellow card for his part in the incident.

Conaill Ryan saves from Carl Pearce...

Then Conaill made a double save, from Carl Pearce’s header from Louis Stead’s corner and then from a close range follow up by Lewis Driver.

... and then from Lewis Driver to complete a double save

It began to appear that, despite their failure to add to their lead, Southall were going to take all 3 points.   However, with less than 3 minutes of the 90 remaining, newly introduced Windsor substitute, Pawel Kotwica struck the ball at the same time as a challenging defending.   It looped high up into the air and spun into the net, out of the reach of the stranded Berkley Laurencin.

The ball loops into the Southall net for Windsor's equaliser

Final score: Southall 1   Windsor 1

Southall: Berkley Laurencin, Darreon Mark, Frankie Taylor, Louis Stead, Carl Pearce, Jack Roper (Louis Dailey 60 mins), Ryan Hope (capt) (Lenny Farhall 58), James McCluskey, Anthony O’Connor, Jack Woods, and Lewis Putman (Lewis Driver 68).

Unused substitutes: Joe Wiley and Nathan Dennis.

Manager: Max Howell.

Windsor: Conaill Ryan, Eric Sowolona (Ben Smyth 80), Charlie Jaggers, Isaac Charles, Luke Paris, Luke Appleton, Matt Stockill (Ben Hall 72), Jake Hammond (George Gould 72), Excellence Muhemba (Tom Hennah 90), Danny Horscroft (Pawel Kotwica 84) and Lindell Stewart.

Manager: Mark Cooper.

Referee: Declan Wyatt   Assistant Referees: Edward Barnes and James Hall.

Attendance: 119

As ever we thank Chris & Jim for giving up their evening to cover this game. As always Chris and Jim have identified some of their favourite shots from the game, these are shown throughout the report, Chris has also kindly provided a full album of imagery.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All