The teams enter the arena


Jim Taylor

The Semi Finals of the Middlesex Premier Cup were contested on Tuesday evening last, 22nd February.   Our roving team of Chris Benn (photographer) and Jim Taylor (reporter) chose to cover the game between Bedfont & Feltham and British Airways, which was played at The Orchard, where the two clubs groundshare.  Both clubs currently compete in Division One of the Combined Counties League, as do the participants in the other Semi Final, Rayners Lane and FC Deportivo Galicia.

Both Bedfont & Feltham and British Airways had reached the Semi Finals by winning two home games each.  Therefore, all of their previous games in this season’s competition have also been played at The Orchard.   Bedfont & Feltham beat Hillingdon Borough (4-1) and Pitshanger Dynamo (3-0), while British Airways’ victories were over PFC Victoria (5-3) and Harefield United Reserves (3-1).

The match, which was extremely competitive and played at a fast pace, was won 2-1 by Bedfont & Feltham, who enjoyed the majority of the possession, with a goal in each half.     British Airways scored from a penalty, in added time at the end of the match.  The game, although always interesting, contained relatively few shots on goal.

The preliminaries

The first scoring attempt came in the 10th minute, when a long free kick into the British Airways’ goalmouth was headed narrowly wide by Charlie Lawrence.   A minute later a low cross was netted by a jubilant Nathan Mampono, to give Bedfont and Feltham the lead.

Bedfont's Charlie Lawrence (6) heads a long free kick wide

Nathan Mampono puts Bedfont & Feltham 1-0 ahead

The celebrations

Tyler Hayles made a run up the middle for British Airways but ran into some heavy traffic and was dispossessed.   At the other end, Cyril Ocansey penetrated the BA rearguard but was thwarted by a last-ditch tackle from Peter Parfitt.

Bedfont & Feltham's Cyril Ocansey is foiled by Peter Parfitt

BA pressed for an equaliser and a couple of free kicks, taken on the wide right by Kieran O’Donoghue were successfully defended. The first was deflected for a corner, which was cleared and the second was taken low by keeper Sam Bersey, after a goalmouth scramble.

Then the BA keeper, Ben Clargo confidently took a high shot by Cyril Ocansey.

Michael Capon, the Bedfont captain and striker sustained an injury, which required lengthy attention.   He attempted to continue but soon had to be substituted.

Half time score: Bedfont & Feltham 1   British Airways 0

Cyril nets Bedfont & Feltham's second goal

Bedfont took the initiative and forced a series of corners.   Cyril Ocansey netted their second goal from close range on the hour.

Cyril burst through and made himself another chance, which he blazed high and wide.   BA’s Tyler Hayles set up substitute Dylan Hern, whose effort was just too high.

Bedfont & Feltham keeper Sam Bersey repels an attack

Bedfont had more defending to do as time ran out and keeper Sam Bersey was in action more frequently.   However, British Airways didn’t breach their defence until the first of the 4 minutes of added time.   Dylan Hern was brought down in the penalty area.   Charlie Rose netted the spot kick, hurriedly retrieved the ball from the back of the net and sprinted back to the centre spot with it.   However, the goal had come too late and Bedfont saw the match out without difficulty.

Dylan Hern is brought down for a penalty...

Referee, Sam Gregory had a very good game, controlling proceedings firmly, with a minimum of fuss.   He was well supported by his Assistant Referees, Tom Healey and Eddie Clifford.

...which is converted by Charlie Rose

Final Score: Bedfont & Feltham 2   British Airways 1

BEDFONT & FELTHAM: Sam Bersley, Kildane Tesfu, Kieran Brown, Edward Polaine, Remarrio Francis, Charlie Lawrence, Cyril Ocansey, Nathan Mampono, Michael Capon (capt) (Sam Greenwood 44 mins), Kai Evans (Sam Blackbrough 65) and Jammel Mattan (Ryan Lloyd 82).

Unused Substitutes: Nathan Munroe and Greg Wright.

BRITISH AIRWAYS: Ben Clargo, George Smith (Dylan Hern 46), Josh Quadrey, Callum Bennett (capt) (Callum Deverill 82), Harry Tubb (Charlie Rose 54), Peter Parfitt, Shaun Aram, Brad Scott, Joel Onu, Tyler Hayles and Kieron O’Donoghue.

Unused Substitutes: Gabriel Joseph and Aaron Fraser,

The final is scheduled for Wednesday, 6th April at Hanwell Town FC with a 7.45 pm kick off

As always we thank Chris & Jim for their time and effort covering the match, as usual they have provided their 10 favourite images shown throughout the report, Chris has also kindly shared a full album of imagert.

Chris & Jim's picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn