The preliminaries


Jim Talyor

The Middlesex Premier Cup has reached the Quarter Final stage and our roving team of Chris Benn (photographer) and Jim Taylor (reporter) attended the match at Vale Farm, Wembley between Cricklewood Wanderers and FC Deportivo Galicia.

Cricklewood Wanderers play in the Premier Division of the Middlesex County League and are currently in third place, with games in hand over the teams above them.   FC Deportivo Galicia play a Step higher in the National Non-League System, in Division One of the Combined Counties League.   They currently occupy 6th position, with 10 wins and 6 draws from their 21 matches.

Deportivo qualified for this round with a 13-0 home victory over Spelthorne Sports U23s.   Cricklewood won a penalty shoot-out against Park View after a 1-1 home draw.

A very watchable and keenly contested game ensued.   Both teams are composed of skilled and pacey players, who play the beautiful game in the right way.   Deportivo registered a convincing win but Wanderers played well throughout and gave them some anxious moments.

Shane Lowe saves from Sam Andon

Deportivo took the initiative in the early stages.   A high shot by Sam Andon was cleanly taken by Wanderers’ keeper, Shane Lowe.   Matti Orobio went close with a wide angled free kick. 

Wanderers’ pressing game won them possession in a dangerous position.   Aderi Arthur Dede took the ball around the keeper, who had come off of his line.   However, a defender managed to get back to retrieve the situation.

Deportivo created some more openings.   Shane Lowe safely gathered Fran Naut’s dangerous low cross.   Alvaro Castano set up Anton Fernandez, whose drive was well saved by Shane Lowe.

The visitors took the lead in the 22nd minute.   An incisive move finished with a couple of blocked shots before Alvaro Castano finally drove the ball home. 

A free kick from Matti Orobio puts Deportivo 2 ahead

They had a further chance when Matti Orobio fired narrowly wide but did increase their lead in the 28th minute, through Matti’s free kick.   The keeper got his hands to the shot but could not keep it out.

Following a previous warning regarding his conduct, Alvaro Castano was shown a yellow card for a wild tackle.   This was one of several cautions by referee Steve Hart, who handled the game very well, maintaining a pleasant demeanour whilst showing the firmness that the vociferous players on the field required.   Steve was well supported by his experienced Assistants.

Cameron Lewis tackles the flying Anas Igozouln

Deportivo’s Anton Fernandez embarked on a clever run but was off balance when he delivered the finishing shot, which was consequently too high.   Then Anas Igozouln made dangerous progress through the middle before shooting wide.

Half time score: Cricklewood Wanderers 0   FC Deportivo Galicia 2

Anton Fernandez scores Deportivo's third goal

Anton Fernandez scored a third goal for Deportivo in the 59th minute, converting Fran Naut’s long ball into the box.

Rahim Jude-Boyd bursts through the Deportivo defence, but shoots wide

Cricklewood Wanderers fought back and Rahim Jude-Boyd collected substitute Romario Wilson’s good through ball at speed.   Unfortunately, he misdirected his shot.

At the other end, a good drive from the ever-dangerous Anton Fernandez brought an equally good save from keeper, Shane Lowe.

Glody Kiyombo, who had taken over as Cricklewood captain from the previously substituted Beola Coker, was injured and was unable to continue after the 80th minute.   Wanderers had used all 3 of their substitutes and therefore had to finish the game with 10 players.

Tyla Tavernier-Stewart scores for Wanderers

However, they finished strongly and Tyla Taverner-Stuart netted in the 90th minute to deservedly reduce the deficit.

Anas Igozouln shoots...

Deportivo had two scoring opportunities in added time.   Shane Lowe made a good save from Naim Mejdoubi and Anas Igozoula hit the foot of the post.

...and hits the post

Final Score: Cricklewood Wanderers 1   FC Deportivo Galicia 3

CRICKLEWOOD WANDERERS: Shane Lowe, Beola Coker (capt) (Cameron Rowe-Osammor 70 mins), Kevin Odamtten (Romario Wilson 46), Bendie Idikayi, Cameron Lewis, Malakai Salawu-Ekpenyong (Samuel Bio 67), Glody Kiyombo, Rahim Jude-Boyd, Daniom Tsegai, Tyla Tavernier-Stuart and Aderi Arthur Dede.

Unused substitutes: Yousef Alshubasi and Jason Joe Evans.

Manager: Murad Ahmed

FC DEPORTIVO GALICIA: Manu Lamas, Fran Naut, Sam Andon (Naim Mejdoubi 82), Dylon Thomas, Razy Nadeem (capt) (Mokthar Bousaria 85), Ayoub Igozouln, Alvaro Castano (Bryan Vinueza 72), Matti Orobio, Anton Fernandez, Juan Devia and Anas Igozouln.

Unused substitute: Leo Decabo.

Manager: Leo Decabo.

REFEREE: Steve Hart  ASSISTANT REFEREES: Adam Hughes and Simon Cudner.

We thank Chris & Jim for giving up their time to cover this exciting match up in the Premier Cup, as ever they have selected their favourite images from the match, which are displayed throughout Jim’s report. Chris has also kindly provided a full library of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim’s Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn