The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

FC Deportivo Galicia entertained Hanwell Town in the Second Round of the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup on Tuesday last, 15th February at Bedfont Sports FC, where they ground share.   Our roving team of Chris Benn (photographer) and Jim Taylor (reporter) covered the game.

Deportivo currently play at Step 6 of the Non-League Pyramid, in Division One of the Combined Counties League, while Hanwell Town operate two steps higher in the Isthmian League South Central Division.   Both teams had drawn a bye in Round 1 of this competition.

Hanwell Town, fielding a much changed team, won an entertaining game 4-0 but Deportivo gave an excellent account of themselves, playing their attractive style of football.   They certainly did not deserve the four goal margin.   They matched Hanwell Town both territorially and for possession but were let down by their finishing.

The kick off

Alvaro Castiano had an early opportunity for Deportivo.   He cut in from the right and had a clear sight on goal but Hanwell keeper, Damian Pawlak blocked his shot.

Play moved to the other end and Dernell Wynter was put through by Adam Laaref but he was foiled by keeper, Manuel Lamas in a one-on-one situation.   Then Sam Saunders hit a free kick narrowly wide.

Deportivo had to make a substitution in the 13th minute, when Juan Devia was injured.   Juan was replaced by Matteo Dickerson, who in turn had to be replaced just before the half time interval.   Soon after Juan Devia’s substitution, Hanwell also had to make a replacement, when defender Evander Afonso was hurt in making an important tackle on Alvaro Castiano.

The home side put pressure on the Geordies.   Fran Naut made a run up the right and squared to Alvaro Castiano, who skied his shot.   Then Naim Mejdoubi made a good run but his shot was also too high.

Adam Laaref (10) gives Hanwell Town the lead

Adam Laaref gave Hanwell Town the lead in the 26th minute, when he hit a brilliant angled shot over the giant Manuel Lamas and under the crossbar.

Thomascz scores Hanwell Town's second goal

Tomascz Siemienczuk doubled his side’s advantage 8 minutes later, after he had intercepted a defender’s pass.

Both sides now had chances.   Adam Laaref worked an opening from around 20 yards but shot straight at the keeper and then Anas Igozouln shot wide from close range.

Tomascz headed home a long cross from Romario Jonas but was adjudged offside.  Then, in added time before the interval, Jack Hutchinson was foiled by keeper Lamas, who saved with his feet.

Half time score: FC Deportivo Galicia 0   Hanwell Town 2

Adam Laaref (10) shoots narrowly wide

Hanwell Town created several chances at the start of the second half.   Tomascz and Dernell Wynter combined well but Adam Laaref’s header, from the latter’s cross was saved at the foot of the post.   Then a low shot by Adam was narrowly wide and Tomascz’s drive was parried by Manuel Lamas.

Damian Pawlak saves low down from Anas Igozouln

Deportivo manufactured some good chances, despite being temporarily reduced to ten players, as the result of a sin-binning.   Damian Pawlak saved low down from Anas Igozouln.   Anas released Alvaro Castiano, who fired wide.   Alvaro beat the Geordies offside trap and sped up the middle but was thwarted by the goalkeeper.

Tomascz flicks Hanwell Town's third goal home

Tomascz scored his second goal of the evening and Hanwell’s third, in the 65th minute, when he cleverly flicked Callum Woodcock’s low cross home, from close range.

Damian Pawlak parries a shot by Anas Igozouln

A low drive from Jack Hutchinson was turned around the post by the diving Manuel.   Then Anas was put through and bore down menacingly on the Geordies goal, before his shot was parried by Damian.

Manuel Lamas turns a shot from Sam Saunders around the post

Sam Saunders cut in towards the Deportivo goal but his finishing effort was turned around the post for a corner, which the goalkeeper punched away.   A pass was cut back to the well- placed Jack Hutchinson, who shot wide.

Dernell Wynter (11) hits Hanwell Town's fourth goal

However, Jack had a hand in his side’s 4th goal in the 89th minute.   He released substitute Brian Testolin, who cut in from the right and squared for Dernell Wynter to pick his spot.

Deportivo kept pressing, unsuccessfully, for the goal they deserved.   Alvaro’s low shot was saved.   Dylon Thomas went up the wing and fed Anas, who shot straight at the keeper from close range.   Finally, Anas’s effort from around 25 yards was well taken by Damian Paulak.

Final Score: FC Deportivo Gallicia 0   Hanwell Town 4

The match was well controlled by Tom Healy and his team.

FC DEPORTIVO GALICIA: Manuel Lamas, Fran Naut, Sam Andon, Sean Bisaye, Razy Nadeem (capt), Ayoub Igozouln, Naim Mejdoubi, Matti Orobio, Alvaro Castiano, Juan Devia (Matteo Dickerson 13, Dylon Thomas 44) and Anas Igozouln.

Unused substitute: Mokthar Bousaria.

Manager: Leo Decabo

HANWELL TOWN: Damian Pawlak, Callum Woodcock, Evander Afonso (Andy O’Brien 18), George Nicholas (capt). Calum Duffy, Romario Jonas, Sam Saunders, Jack Hutchinson, Tomascz Siemienczuk (Brian Testolin 71), Adam Laaref (Terrance Saydee 58) and Dernell Wynter.

Unused substitutes: Ogo Obi and Harry Rush.

Coaches: Chris Moore & Wayne Carter.

REFEREE: Thomas Healy   ASSISTANT REFEREES: Paul Savva and Edward Clifford.

Hanwell Town will travel to Berkeley Fields to play local rivals, North Greenford United in the Quarter Final.

We thank our intrepid reporters who continue to brave the inclement weather to capture Cup matches up and down the County. Chris & Jim have selected some of their favourite shots, shown throughout the report, Chris has also very kindly shared a full album of imagery.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All