The toss


Jim Taylor

Round 3 of this season’s Middlesex Under 18 Cup was contested on Sunday, 4th December and your roving team chose the tie at St Paul’s College, Sunbury, between Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Colts and Hinton & Finchley Revolution.

This match, played on a cold dark day, provided exciting and intriguing entertainment.    Both teams possess talented and skilful players.   The Hampton & Richmond Borough defence was very solid and they won the match with two well worked goals in each half, without reply.

However, this was not a “4-0” type of match.   Hinton & Finchley Revolution    had more of the possession and although their individual skills were apparent, they were unable, on this occasion, to effectively adopt them to the benefit of the team.  The final telling pass or shot was not often produced.    They did force a large number of corners, many of which were the result of good defending by Hampton and which in turn, were all effectively defended.

After receiving byes in the first round, both of these sides had recorded convincing home wins in round 2 of the competition.   Hampton & RB had beaten Old Actonians Youth Red 4-0 and Hinton & Finchley Revolution had overwhelmed Whitewebbs Eagles Youth 8-1.

Francis Wiggins turns Jeremiah Frimpong's shot around the post

Hinton & Finchley Revolution immediately took the initiative.   Jeremiah Frimpong burst through the middle but the home keeper, Francis Wiggins turned his shot around the post.   Then after some impressive ball juggling, Joseph Kortbaek volleyed a shot at goal, which Francis saved and Efayobase Bassey shot just wide from an acute angle.

Billy McAuley nets but is adjudged offside

Ruben Miranda-Hyam set up Billy McAuley, who netted but was adjudged offside.   A passage of play then followed, during which the Hinton forwards were caught offside several more times.

Hampton & Richmond came into the match and Charlie Rollo shot across goal and narrowly past the far post.   Then an attack, involving at least 4 home players, ended when Archie Twigg was dispossessed.

Francis Wiggins saves from Billy McAuley

At the other end, the Hampton keeper saved at close range from Billy McAuley.

The Hinton keeper beat Leo Kinchin to a through ball.   Then Charlie Rollo just failed to get his head to a free kick hit from half way.

Play continued to move up and down the pitch.   Aidan Hobday made a thrusting run along the wing but his cross went behind.   The home keeper left his area to kick clear from Jeremiah Frimpong.   Charlie Rollo shot over from 25 yards.  Hinton’s Harvey Mcloughlin worked through but was robbed at the crucial moment.

Aidan Arthur’s long free kick eluded everyone in the Hinton penalty box.   Jeremiah Frimpong got his head to Billy McAuley’s cross but he didn’t manage to achieve the desired direction.

Aidan Hobday (12) puts Hampton & Richmond 1-0 ahead

During the 5 minutes leading up to the interval, Hampton & Richmond Borough scored twice, through well struck shots by Aidan Hobday and Damien Hui, to finish some good approach work.

Damien Hui shoots...
...and Hampton & Richmond Borough go 2-0 up

Score at half time: Hampton & Richmond Borough 2   Hinton & Finchley Revolution 0

Isaac Tshitende’s long free kick into the Hampton box was cleared and Fadhil Kathem scuffed his shot with only the keeper to beat.   Then Francis Wiggins came out of his area to kick clear from Joseph Kortbaek.

Aiden Hobday's free kick is repelled by the defensive wall

Leo Kinchin released Aidan Hobday, who was brought down just outside the visitors’ box.   Aidan took the free kick and hit it low into the defensive wall.

Kairan Dhillon (4) takes a free kick...

However, Hampton increased their lead in the 59th minute, when Kairan Dhillon’s free kick, from a central position 25 yards out, beat the wall and the keeper.

...and scores Hampton & Richmond Borough's third goal

Hinton resumed the attack.  Harvey Mcloughlin and Ruben Miranda- Hyam had efforts saved and then both of these players hit shots off target.

Hampton & Richmond Borough defend a corner

Damien Hui scored Hampton’s 4th goal in the 78th minute, when he picked up a loose ball, took it on and netted.

Damien Hui scores Hampton & Richmond Borough's fourth goal

Francis Wiggins parried a shot from Ruben and then beat Harvey to the rebound.

George Adauh forced the ball home for Hinton, following a good run along the wing by Joseph Kortbaek but the score was disallowed for offside.

George Adauh's effort is ruled out for offside

In the closing seconds, Damien Hui burst through but was foiled by visiting keeper, Leke Temilolu-Mustapha. 

Referee Aiden Farrelly controlled proceedings well.   He had a busy day, having refereed a match on the same pitch, immediately beforehand.   I often wonder if our grassroots clubs fully appreciate the dedication of our match officials.

Result: Hampton & Richmond Borough 4   Hinton & Finchley Revolution 0


Hampton & Richmond Borough: Francis Wiggins, Billy James, Kairan Dhillon, Keith Stroud, Damien Hui, Archie Sharp, Charlie Rollo, Archie Twigg, Aidan Hobday, Aidan Arthur and Leo Kinchin.

Rolling substitutes: Darren Campbell, Mohamed Askar, Adrian Kozlowski and Mohammadi Mansoor.

Hinton & Finchley Revolution: (squad – including rolling substitutes) Leke Temilolu-Mustapha, Efayobase Bassey, Levi Allen, Fadhil Raad Jawad Kathem, Ruben Miranda-Hyam, George Adauh, Jeremiah Frimpong, Billy McAuley, Harvey Mcloughlin, Isaac Tshitende, Albert Sonubi, Joseph Kortbaek, Lucas Gray, Oliver Radley and Nicholas Fedorou-Uzuagu.

Hampton & Richmond Borough Youth Colts will play Spelthorne Sports Youth U17 Navy (away) in the 4th round on 8th January.

As ever we thank Chris and Jim for their time, as usual they have selected their favourite shots from the game, with Chris kindly providing a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All