Montel Brown hits Harrow Borough's fifth goal


Jim Taylor

This season’s Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup has now progressed to the second round but because of a lot of interference from the weather, it is extending over several weeks.   However, the tie between Hanwell Town and Harrow Borough went ahead, at the second attempt on Tuesday evening last, 22nd November and your roving team were there.

It was a match worth waiting for.   The contestants provided an exciting and skilful match.   Harrow Borough took the initiative early and went ahead in the tenth minute.   Hanwell Town hit back quickly and equalised four minutes later.   The play remained fairly even for the remainder of the first half but the Geordies put their visitors under pressure as the interval approached.   The score remained at 1-1 at the break but afterwards the goals flowed.   Hanwell Town went ahead twice but Borough equalised each time.   The visitors’ third goal in the 75th minute was then quickly followed by two more to make the final score 5-3 in their favour.

Harrow Borough had an opportunity to take the lead in the third minute.   Johnny Allotey intercepted a back pass, closed in on goal and tested Josh Strizovic, who made a good stop from close range.

Then a good cross from Borough’s Ahmet Biler passed across the home goalmouth, without attracting a touch.

Johnny Allotey shoots...

Harrow Borough went ahead in the 10th minute.   A good cross-field ball found Billy Leonard.   He released Allotey, who cut in and beat Josh Strizovich, who parried the shot but couldn’t keep it out.

...Josh Strizovic parries the shot but it still goes in...
...Jonny Allotey celebrates his goal

Dan Carr went forward with menace and forced a corner for the Geordies, from which Mark Waters headed narrowly wide.

Sean Moore (9) heads an equaliser

Geordies’ debutant, Sean Moore equalised in the 14th minute, by heading home Mark Waters’ cross.

Borough resumed the attack.   Kai Brosnan made a run up the wing but the keeper cut his cross out.   Kamon-Sherell Assidjo drove just past the post.

Then the Geordies exerted pressure on their visitors.   Sean Moore was fouled by Izunna Ikebuasi, just outside the Borough penalty area.   Dan Carr shaved the crossbar with the resultant free kick.   Then a cross shot from Conor Lynch was tipped over the bar by Charlie Taylor.    Conor broke through again and Charlie saved his shot at close range.   Finally, Mack Miskin’s shot across the face of the goal was deflected away.

Half time score: Hanwell Town 1   Harrow Borough 1

Dan Carr cleared the Borough bar in the first minute after the interval.   Then a well-placed Billy Leonard blazed his shot over the Hanwell goal.   Next, Conor Lynch tried his luck with a long shot, with the same result.

Conor Lynch slides Hanwell Town's second goal home

Conor put the Geordies ahead in the 57th minute by beating a defender to Isaac Olunfemi’s through ball and sliding it home.

Josh Strizovic repelled a shot by Jaden Sharman at the second attempt.

George Moore (left of picture) scores Harrow Borough's second goal with a cross shot

George Moore levelled the scores with a dipping cross shot in the 69th minute.

Dan Carr scores Hanwell Town's third goal

Dan Carr restored Hanwell Town’s lead almost immediately, with a spectacular shot from the edge of the penalty box.

George Moore (right of picture) heads Harrow Borough's third goal

In the 75th minute, George Moore again equalised, with a header from a corner.

Great Evans (right of picture) puts Harrow Borough 4-3 ahead

Montel Brown fired across the home goalmouth.   Then, in the77th minute, Borough’s Great Evans received the ball in acres of open space.   He took advantage of the situation and put his side 4-3 ahead.

Montel Brown hits Harrow Borough's fifth goal

Montel added the 5th goal for Borough, from close range, 2 minutes later.

Billy Leonard fired just wide in the 85th minute.

Kain Adom (17) is tripped in the box...

Hanwell Town were awarded a penalty in the 90th minute, when Kain Adom was tripped.    Kain took the kick himself but keeper, Charlie Taylor spared his team some anxious closing minutes, by making a very good save, diving to his right.

...but Charlie Taylor saves Kain's penalty

A well struck long range shot from Hanwell’s Isaac Olunfemi just cleared the crossbar and then Dan Carr broke into the box and set up Conor Lynch, who shot wide.

Final Score: Hanwell Town 3   Harrow Borough 5


Hanwell Town: Josh Strizovic, Dan Carr, Mack Miskin, Jeremy Stewart (Kain Adom 78 mins), Dwayne Duncan (capt), Isaac Olunfemi, Mark Waters, Tom Jackson (Dan Rowe 71), Sean Moore (Kewku Lucan 74), Conor Lynch and Lewis Cole (Adam Laaref 83).

Unused substitute: George Nicholas

Manager: Chris Moore

Harrow Borough: Charlie Taylor, Olatunbosun Adeneloa, Jaden Sharman, Prince Kandolo (Montel Brown 74), Izunna Ikebuasi, Ahmet Biler, Kai Osman Brosnan (George Moore 46), Billy Leonard (capt), Kamon-Sherell Assidjo (Great Evans 46), Michael Bryan (Nebay Haile 62) and Johnny Allotey (Keegan Bloom 62).

Manager: Steve Baker.

Referee: Paul Andrews   Assistant Referees: Robert Alderton and Luke Partington.

Attendance: 133.

Hanwell Town FC, Harrow Borough FC and the Middlesex FA showed their support for the Rainbow Laces campaign throughout the evening.   This included a special match programme cover, some well chosen words over the tannoy by Hanwell Club Secretary, Clive Cooke and a group photograph of the teams.

Find out more

We thank Chris and Jim for covering this game, as ever they have selected some of their favourite shots from the match, which can be viewed throughout this report, Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the game.

Chris & Jim’s Picks

Full Album courtesy of Chris Benn