The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

The last of the second round matches in this season’s Middlesex FA Jeff Ritson Senior Youth Cup was played at Northwood FC’s Skyline Roofing Stadium on Wednesday, 23rd November.   Our roving team visited the match between the Under 18 teams of Northwood and Hampton & Richmond Borough (Isthmian).

The teams take the field

The teams played attractive attacking football and produced a very watchable match.   Play flowed rapidly up and down the pitch and scoring chances were created at both ends.    The visitors took an early lead and although Northwood had the most opportunities in the first half, they didn’t manage to equalise until a few seconds before the interval.   The hosts then went ahead almost immediately after the interval but Hampton quickly equalised and scored the winning goal with 17 minutes remaining.

Max Lousley shoots...

Northwood had the first goalscoring attempt, a drive by Max Lousley from around 25 yards, which keeper, Oliver Davies saved comfortably.

...and Oliver Davies saves

Noah Davies volleys...

The visitors went ahead in the 5th minute with a well struck shot by Noah Davies, who connected with a clearance from a corner.

...and Hampton take the lead

Hampton’s Jack Emery made a good run and Archie Danks almost managed to get to his cross.   Then Northwood keeper, Max Bretayne pushed Fenton Woodcock’s long cross away.

Northwood then had a sustained period of pressure.  Ben Crowder shot wide from a good position.  Londin Latifi made a run up the left and fired across the goal.   Londin shot wide after being set up by Fabjan Toci.   The visiting keeper, Max Bretayne pushed Ben Crowder’s high shot over the bar and then saved a close-range header from Fabjan.

Max Bretayne saved a low volley from Ben Crowder.   Good work by skipper, Joe Reade on the right released Fabjan, who scuffed his shot.   Then Fabjan headed over from Ben’s centre.

Fabjan Toci (9) heads Northwood's equaliser

Northwood eventually equalised in added time at the end of the half, when Fabjan headed home a cross from the left.

Score at half time: Northwood 1   Hampton & Richmond Borough 1

Fabjan heads Northwood in front

Fabjan put Northwood ahead 5 minutes after the interval, by converting a right-wing centre from James Payne.

Charlie George (10) makes the score 2-2

The lead only lasted for 3 minutes before Charlie George equalised from close range.   Max Bretayne got his hand to the ball but was unable to prevent it crossing his goal line.

Northwood then created several chances.   Fabjan twice went close to scoring but was thwarted by keeper, Oliver Davies.   Joe Reade worked his way across the field and then fired over the bar.

Matteo Aquino nets the winner

Matteo Aquino put the visitors 3-2 ahead in the 73rd minute, when he headed against a post and ten tapped in the rebound.

Northwood again pressed for an equaliser but the Hampton defence held firm.   Jeremy Kwaku-Scholz went on a run and set up Oscar John, whose low shot was saved.   A free kick from outside the penalty area was saved by the keeper and then scrambled away.

Oliver Davies saves from Oscar John

At the other end, a good cross found Matteo Aquino, whose back header was narrowly wide.

Hampton’s Oliver Davies then saved low from Fabjan, who had been released by a good through ball and then, at close range, from Oscar John.

Final Score: Northwood 2   Hampton & Richmond Borough 3


Northwood: Max Bretayne, James Payne, Arinzechukwu Moneke, Joe Reade (capt), Liam Osborne, Max Lousley, Benjamin Crowder, Mason Harding (Oscar John 46 mins), Fabjan Toci, Londin Latifi and Sarin Thapa (Jeremy Kwaku-Scholz 67).

Unused substitutes: Luke DeSousa Stirling, Harrison Clemow and Marco Ristea.

Hampton & Richmond Borough: Oliver Davies, Connor Doona (capt), Fenton Woodcock, Callum Okeeffe, Dominic White (Ryan Price 46), Nicolas Bostan (Joshua Kelly 46), Archie Danks (Matteo Aquino 60), Noah Davies, Adam Bell (Makai Gayle 46), Charlie George and Jack Emery.

Substitutes: Rylee Blagrove.

Referee: Mike Heavey   Assistant Referees: Sachin Patel and Richard Coker,

Hampton & Richmond Borough (Isthmian) now face Brook House Reserves U18 at home, in the Quarter Final.

We thank Chris and Jim for covering this game, as ever they have selected some of their favourite shots from the match, which can be viewed throughout this report, Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of imagery from the game.

Chris & Jim’s Picks

Full Album courtesy of Chris Benn

Related Match Reports

View All