The teams take the field


Jim Taylor

The outstanding quarter-final tie of our Senior Charity Cup, between Bedfont & Feltham and Southall was played on Thursday last, 14th April.  The primary reason for the delay in arranging this fixture was Southall’s crowded calendar due to postponements of league games.  These were caused by either the weather or by Southall’s remarkable progress to the quarter final stage of the FA Vase.

The successful sides in the other three quarter-finals were Hanwell Town, who beat North Greenford United 1-0 (away), Uxbridge 4-1 winners over St Panteleimon (home) and Northwood 4-0 victors against CB Hounslow (home).

Hanwell Town had already gone on to claim a place in the final by beating Northwood 4-0 (home) in the semi-final, played two days before this match.

Southall had the majority of the scoring chances in this hard-fought match and scored from one of them, in the first minute of the second half.  Bedfont & Feltham only had two good opportunities, one in each half and remained goalless.

The preliminaries


Southall dominated possession from the start.  Their first goalscoring attempt came in the 8th minute, when Jack Woods shot over the Bedfont & Feltham bar.   Then, Lewis Putman worked his way through the home defence and cut in but his shot was blocked.

Lewis Putman shoots...


...and clears the bar

Lewis was involved in several more attacks.  He just cleared the crossbar from a narrow angle.  He set up Rowan Vine, whose shot was turned for a corner.   Then, a last-ditch tackle robbed him in front of goal.

Sam Bersey turns Rowan Vine's (7) shot for a corner

Cyril Ocansey had Bedfont & Feltham’s first shot on goal, in the 24th minute.   It was well wide.

Back at the other end, Luke Heneghan was just off target with a free kick from 30 yards.  Lewis Putman set up Ryan Hope, who volleyed his shot too high.

Michael Capon heads into the Southall side netting...

Bedfont & Feltham’s Michael Capon had a good scoring chance but his close-range header, from a free kick on the right, hit the side netting.  Then Kai Evans put a dangerous cross into the Southall penalty area but none of his teammates were able to make contact with it. the dismay of his team mates

 Southall had further opportunities, as the interval approached.   A cross from Rowan Vine was just out of Lewis Putman’s reach.  Jack Woods headed wide from Lewis’s cross.  Lewis then shot across goal and beyond the far post.

Half time score: Bedfont & Feltham 0   Southall 0

Jack Woods put Southall ahead in the first minute of the half.

Home keeper, Sam Bersey then saved low down from Jack.

Southall keeper, Koju Abayomi distinguished himself with a fine double save to prevent a Bedfont & Feltham equaliser.  The second save, at close range, from Michael Capon, was particularly impressive.

Koju Abayomi saves at close range from Michael Capon

Southall continued to make chances.  Jack Woods headed just wide, Sam Bersey kept out Rowan Vine’s shot with his feet.   Then he saved a header by Jack Roper, from Rowan’s cross and a shot from substitute Bobby Julienne.

Jack Woods heads narrowly wide

Sam Bersey saves a header from Jack Roper

Bobby then fastened onto a good through ball but was foiled by a defender’s tackle.

Southall’s injury list, which already included some key players, was extended when Jack Woods suffered a painful rib injury, late in the half and had to be substituted.

Final score: Bedfont & Feltham 0   Southall 1

Bedfont & Feltham: Sam Bersey, Kieran Brown, Sam Blakeborough, Ryan Lloyd, Remmario Francis, Charlie Lawrence, Kai Evans, Durcial Manpono (Josh Hughes 79 mins), Michael Capon (capt), Kildane Tefsu (Redon Gashi 59) and Cyril Ocansey (Leovani Owusu 55).

Unused substitute: Luke Bersey.

Southall: Koju Abayomi, Ryan Hope, Romey Eccles-Meoded, Daniel Julienne, Adam Louth (capt), Jack Roper, Rowan Vine, Nathan Dennis, Jack Woods (Lenny Farhall 72), Lewis Putman (Bobby Julienne 62) and Luke Heneghan (Louis Dailey 46).

Unused substitutes: Louis Stead and Anthony O’Connor.

Referee: Conor Griffin   Assistant Referees: Robert Alderton and Fadi Mansour.

Southall will now meet Uxbridge at home in the semi-final, on a date to be arranged, with the winner meeting Hanwell Town in the final.  This is scheduled for Wednesday, 4th May at Enfield Town FC.

As ever we thank Chris & Jim for giving up their time to cover this Quarter-Final match up. Chris and Jim have selected the images that they feel reflect the highlights of the match as shown throughout the report. We also thank Chris for sharing a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full album courtesy of Chris Benn