The coin toss


Jim Taylor

Seven of the eight Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup Second Round matches were played on Tuesday last, 9th November.   County photographer, Chris Benn visited the picturesque Cleo Saul Beveree Stadium for the match between Hampton & Richmond Borough and Harrow Borough, who only 3 days before had distinguished themselves by battling to a single goal defeat to Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

The early stages of the match were evenly contested and produced some entertaining football with both sides having scoring chances.   George Moore went on a good run for the visitors before firing just wide.   Hampton’s Kyron Farrell went close with a well struck free kick and his team mate, Ryan Gondoh made a diagonal run before also shooting narrowly wide.   Then a well-positioned George Moore shot straight at the Hampton keeper.

Ryan Gondoh puts Hampton 1-0 up via the far post

Hampton took the lead in the 29th minute, through Ryan Gondoh, who intercepted the ball on the right of the penalty area and hammered it into the Harrow net off of the far post.

Jorome Slew weaves through the Harrow defence

Jorome Slew skilfully weaved his way through the Harrow defence but his final shot was charged down.

Imran Uche's well struck shot beats the Harrow keeper for his side's second goal

Imran Uche doubled Hampton’s lead after 40 mins; with a well struck shot from outside the penalty area.

A chip from Tyrell Miller-Rodney just cleared the visitors’ cross bar.

Harrow Borough's Leo Donnellan scores an own goal.

Hampton went 3-0 up during the single minute added to the first half, when Leo Donnellan turned a low cross into his own net.

Half time score: Hampton & Richmond Borough 3   Harrow Borough 0

Tyrell Miller-Rodney's cross shot puts Hampton & Richmond Borough 4-0 up

Tyrell Miller-Rodney scored Hampton’s 4th goal with a cross shot in the 54th minute.

Harrow Borough reduce the arrears from a corner

Harrow Borough reduced the arrears 5 minutes later, when Anthony O’Connor headed in from a corner.

Hampton substitute Charles Hagan shoots...

Hampton substitute, Charles Hagan hit the Harrow post soon after coming on but unfortunately the match then went rather flat in the closing stages.

...and hits the post

Final score: Hampton & Richmond Borough 4   Harrow Borough 1

Hampton & Richmond Borough: Rhys Forster, Tyrell Miller-Rodney, Imran Uche, Ruaridh Donaldson, Kyron Farrell, Jack McKnight (Kadell Daniel 66 mins), Ryan Gondoh (Charles Hagan 66), Sam Deadfield, Jayden Harris, Jorome Slew (Sam Cox 79) and Niko Muir.

Unused substitutes: Ronan Hutchins and Alan Julian.

Harrow Borough: Joshua Strizovic, Samuel Adenola, Ahmed Biler, James Taylor, Ben Tricker, Leo Donnellan, George Moore (Anthony O’Connor 46 mins), Lewis Cole (Alfie Cain 54), Derrell Wynter, Kurche Oyudeko (David Ozobia 59) and Michael Bryan.

Unused substitutes: James Mansfield and Frank Keita.

Referee: Gareth Burton  Assistant Referees: Dani Mansour and Tom Simmons.

Attendance: 166.

After the match, Middlesex FA President, John Davies made the presentation of the County 25 year long service award to Hampton & Richmond Borough FC Vice-President, Hilary Denning, in recognition of her tireless work within the Middlesex football family.

Hilary Denning receives her 25 Year Long Service Award

There was plenty of excitement in the other matches played in the competition that evening.

There was a goal-fest at Ashford Town’s Robert Parker Stadium.   Roman Michael put Wingate & Finchley ahead with a stunning shot in the 3rd minute but Clyde Obdo netted twice to put Ashford Town 2-1 ahead at the interval.   J’Ardell Stirling equalised for Wingate but Connor Cullen restored Ashford’s lead.  Kavan Cotter equalised again but Aaron McLeish-White scored the home side’s winner in the 88th Minute.

There was also a late winner for Spelthorne Sports in their home tie against Harefield United.   Harrison Livingstone netted in the 81st minute, after Harefield’s Courtney Austin had equalised an early Spelthorne goal.

There was also a late winner at Silver Jubilee Park, where an 86th minute header by Harry Rush gave holders, Hanwell Town a 2-1 victory over Hendon.

Bedfont Sports cut it even finer, needing a penalty shoot out to beat Enfield Town at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, following a 1-1 draw.

Goals by Ryan Avery and Matteo Esporito gave Northwood a 2-0 home win against Wembley.

Finally, Mason Bloomfield scored an 84th minute winner for Barnet, in their 2-1 victory at Hayes and Yeading United’s SkyEx Community Stadium.

The remaining match in this round, between Brentford B and Broadfields United is scheduled for Tuesday, 23rd November.

As ever thank you to Chris Benn and Jim Taylor for giving up their time to cover the match, Chris and Jim have selected 9 photos shown throughout the article along with a full album of imagery from the match.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full album courtesy of Chris Benn