The preliminaries


Jim Taylor

Seven of last Saturday’s Buildbase FA Trophy Round One Proper matches involved Middlesex clubs.   County photographer, Chris Benn decided to visit the match at the splendidly refurbished Powerday Stadium, where Hanwell Town FC entertained Wingate and Finchley FC.

The Match Officials were joined by the Players and the spectators in observing a moment of silence to mark Rememberance Sunday

Hanwell Town expected a difficult match against a team who were one level above them in the pyramid and who had beaten the current Trophy holders, Hornchurch in the previous round.   They certainly got it but emerged triumphant.

Harry Rush scores the only goal of the match

Hanwell went on the attack early and took the lead just inside the second minute of the match.   Wing back, Dan Carr made a good run up the right and put in a cross which striker, Tomascz Szmienczuk headed against the goal post.   Skipper Harry Rush was first to the rebound and duly netted.   They then spent most of the remainder of the game defending that lead.

Adam Laaref shoots...

However, Hanwell continued their lively start with a good run by Adam Laaref, which finished with his shot going across goal.

...but his shot goes wide

The visitors then took the initiative.   Hanwell keeper Hugo Sobte had to leave his penalty area to thwart a quick break.   Then he made a great save with his foot to keep out a shot from Kavan Cottar, who had been set up by Sam Hatton.   Hugo then went full length to stop a shot inside his left hand post.

A great save by Hugo Sobte

Theo Ofori worked his way through the home defence but was halted by Kyle Watson’s solid work.   A free kick by Bilal Sayoud, from a central position outside the box, skimmed the Hanwell bar.

Another free kick by Bilal was punched away by Hugo Sobte but went to Kavan Cottar.   Calum Duffy cleared Kavan’s subsequent shot off of the Hanwell goal line.   Sobte made another good save, this time from a long, low, deflected drive by Luke Ifill.   Hugo then kept out a shot from Theo Ofori with his foot, following the latter’s incisive run.

Score at half time: Hanwell Town 1   Wingate & Finchley 0

Wingate continued their offensive.   Luke Ifil fired over when well placed.  

Well positioned Hanwell Substitute, Nebay Haile dragged his shot wide.   Back at the other end, Hugo Sobte dealt efficiently with Kavan Cottar’s shot, following a Wingate free kick.   Then, Harry Rush cleared the Wingate bar with a good effort.

Hugo Sobte deals with Kavan Cottar's shot following a Wingate free kick ploy

Luke Ifil’s close range shot from Bilal Sayoud’s low cross was pushed onto the post by Hugo Sobte.

Tomasz Szmienczuk had a great chance to make the game safe for Hanwell in the 86th minute, when Dan Carr’s corner kick reached him in front of goal but he miskicked.

Hanwell Town defend in depth

Wingate put the Hanwell Town defence under considerable pressure during the 5 minutes of additional time but they held onto the lead magnificently, with Hugo Sobte outstanding.   He was undoubtedly Man of the Match.  However, Wingate had a very good chance to save the game in the final minute, when Tyrone Clark fired wide from 6 yards.

Tyrone Clark shoots wide in the last minute of added time

Referee Daniel Simpson had a very good match, remaining calm and in complete control throughout.

Final Score: Hanwell Town 1   Wingate & Finchley 0

Hanwell Town: Hugo Sobte, Dan Carr, Kyle Watson, Toch Singh, Calum Duffy, Dwayne Duncan, George Nicholas, Harry Rush (capt), Tomasz Szmienczuk, Jack Hutchinson (Romario Jonas 87 mins) and Adam Laaref (Nebay Haile 63).

Managers: Chris Moore and Wayne Carter.

Wingate & Finchley: Ben Goode, Luke Ifil (Liam Smyth 86), Connor Peters (Thomas Tejan-Sie 65), Dan Pappoe, J’Ardell Stirling, Lewis Hobbs, Kavan Cottar, Sam Hatton (capt) (Tyrone Clark 80), Ibrahim Meite, Bilal Sayoud and Theo Ofori

Manager: Marc Weatherstone.

Referee: Daniel Simpson Assistant Referees: Christopher Fernandes and Robert Nicholas. 

Attendance: 248.

Unfortunately only 2 of the other 6 Middlesex sides engaged in this round of the competition were successful.   Uxbridge won 6-2 away to Walton Casuals and Enfield Town won 2-1 at Biggleswade Town.

Hayes & Yeading United lost 3-0 at home to Worthing.   The remainder suffered away defeats, Staines Town (4-1 at Brentwood), Harrow Borough (3-0 at Leiston) and Bedfont Sports (2-1 at Cray Wanderers).

Thanks to Chris and Jim for giving up their Saturday to take in this match, as ever they have selected a range of the photos to be displayed in this report, there is also a full album of images courtesy of Chris Benn.

Chris & Jim's picks

Full album courtesy of Chris Benn