The toss


Jim Taylor
Uxbridge & Southall FC mark 150 years of history as they battle it out for The Hubert Heron Cup

This season Uxbridge FC and Southall FC are both celebrating their 150th birthdays, having been founded way back in 1871. They marked the occasion on Saturday last, 24th July, by playing each other for a trophy, put up by Uxbridge FC, having been donated by Sandgate FC and named after the club’s first superstar, England international and captain in the 1870s, George Hubert Hugh Heron. It is now hoped to play this match annually.

To commemorate the occasion, the two club’s statisticians Mike Bodman (Uxbridge) and Gary Drew (Southall) got together and contributed to a magnificent souvenir match programme. This contained a comprehensive history of the clubs and details of many of the previous 123 competitive encounters between them. The first game between the clubs in October 1871, a 1-0 victory for Uxbridge, was Southall’s first ever fixture (and possibly Uxbridge’s as well – research is still ongoing).

Middlesex President John Davies makes the pre-match presentations to chairmen Alan Holloway (Uxbridge) and Sanjeev Sharma (Southall). He is supported by past Middlesex President Derek Mennell

In a ceremony on the pitch before the kick off, Middlesex FA President, John Davies, presented each club with a memento to celebrate its 150th anniversary, together with a framed letter of congratulations from The Football Association. John was supported by Past Presidents, Derek Mennell and Jim Taylor and Vice Chairman, Doug Douglas. MFA photographer, Chris Benn, recorded the afternoon’s events on film.

The spectators were treated to a lively, entertaining game between two well matched squads, eager to test themselves in readiness for the rapidly approaching season. It is evident that, following the recent trials and tribulations, the resumption of football was being anticipated even more eagerly than usual. The attendance was 130.

Southall have dipped into their history and have changed their playing strip for the forthcoming season. Commencing with this historic match, they have reverted to the navy blue and red shirts, which they wore in the early 1870s.

The first half was goalless and fairly even territorially. The first clear chance fell to Uxbridge’s Mahlondo Martin in the 8th minute but his shot was narrowly off target. Ten minutes later the home side had a narrow escape when keeper Tyler Tobin left his area to kick clear but lost possession to Nathan Dennis, who shot against the goalpost. A few minutes later, Tyler did well to keep out a low drive from Alex Nolan.

As the match progressed, Southall striker, Aaron McLeish looked increasingly dangerous with his pace, strength and ability to hold the ball. However, the best scoring effort of the half came from his colleague, Darreon Mark, in the 36th minute. Darreon’s fierce curling shot from around 20 yards flew just over the crossbar. A few minutes later Darreon hit the bar from a central position roughly 12 yards out.

Just before the interval, a chance fell to the well placed Lonit Talla of Uxbridge, who shot past the post.

At the start of the second half, Southall’s Jack Roper headed out from under his crossbar, after his goalkeeper had misjudged a corner. Then in the 15th minute, Tyler Tobin saved a stinging close-range drive from Southall’s Ryan Hope.

A shot from Elliott Poley (not in picture) puts Uxbridge 1-0 up...

Uxbridge took the lead in the 64th minute, through a well struck shot from Elliott Poley, which went in off of the post.

...and Elliott receives the congratulations

Aaron McLeish is denied by Uxbridge keeper Tyler Tobin...

Aaron McLeish broke clear through the middle of the Uxbridge defence but his shot was parried by the advancing Tyler Tobin. However, Aaron equalised for Southall after 72 minutes, when he converted Kiemon Robinson’s pass from close range.

...but soon afterwards he hits the equalising goal

Southall kept up the pressure and Jack Roper nearly scored with a clever flick, after being set up by Aaron McLeish. Then Nathan Dennis’s dangerous low cross from the left bounced off of a defender to Tyler.

Jack Roper's clever flick nearly produces a goal for Southall

Aaron Mcleish scores the winning goal...

However, in the 87th minute Aaron McLeish ran through the middle, outpacing 5 defenders, to net the winning goal for Southall.

...and Tyler Tobin wonders what happened to his defence

Final score: Uxbridge 1 Southall 2

Southall with the Hubert Heron cup

At the conclusion of the match, the trophy was presented to the Southall FC captain, Ryan Hope by the Uxbridge Chairman, Alan Holloway.

Referee Steve Conway enjoyed a good match. He was well supported by his Assistant Referees, Chris Fernandes and Colm O.Meara.


Tyler Tobin, Mark Goodman, Ryan Haugh (Junon Atinkunde 60 min), Elliott Poley, Nathan White (Connor Butler 82), Alan Hedley (capt) (Jiovanni Addo 82), Alex Paine, Gurkan Gokmen (Prince Outwonke 70), Mahlondo Martin (Michael Koscien 82), Lonit Talla (Javin Dougan 78) and Jack Beadle (Eddie Najewue 78)


Laurencin Barkley, Alex Nolan, Alcino Souza Santos, Jack Roper, Adam Louth, Louis Dailey, Ryan Hope (capt), Nathan Dennis, Aaron McLeish, Darreon Mark and Kiemon Robinson (Bobby Julienne 90).

Our official photographer Chris Benn, as ever, has provided some fantastic imagery from the game. If using these photos please give credit.

Chris has selected 10 highlight images which can be found here.

Readers wishing to view the full gallery of images can find these here.

Related Match Reports

View All