Hanworth score a well taken penalty


Jim Taylor
Hanworth Villa FC honoured their former manager, Bobby Dawson with a minute’s silence ahead of their Vase match

Hanworth Villa FC honoured their former manager, Bobby Dawson with a minute’s silence before the kick off of Saturday’s FA Vase 2nd round tie against Corinthian FC. A tribute to Bobby, who passed away on 21st November, after a brave battle against leukaemia and associated illnesses, was published in the matchday programme. A photograph was also included showing Bobby presenting Villa goalkeeper, Terry Buss with a silver salver for completing his 500th appearance for the club. This proved to be very fitting as Terry was to make the match winning penalty shootout save.

Villa pulled of a memorable victory, over last season’s Vase semi-finalists, in a very entertaining match, played in front of a large crowd. Corinthian were reduced to ten men in the opening moments of the second half, when their captain, Jack Bath received a red card for a tackle which robbed Meshach Williams of a clear goal scoring opportunity. However, the visitors had built up a 2-0 lead by the 60th minute and appeared to have the match won.

Remarkably, Villa hit back and scored twice within 2 minutes, through the two Mersons. Sam converted a penalty in the 80th minute and Ben headed home in the 82nd.

The shoot out provided some well taken penalties, with the initial sets of 5 kicks per team giving neither keeper a chance. However, after Hanworth Villa had converted their first “sudden death” kick, Terry Buss guessed right and pulled off a diving save to put his side through to the third round.

Hanworth Villa now travel to play Littlehampton Town. Congratulations are also due to the other successful Middlesex side, North Greenford United, who beat Walsham Le Willows 2-1 and now also travel to the Sussex coast in the next round. They will play either Lancing or Worthing United.

Commiserations to Southall, who lost their round 2 match at Sutton Common Rovers 0-4 and to Edgware Town (beaten 3-1 in their first round match at Worthing United) and AFC Hayes (who succumbed at Stansfield in a penalty shoot out).

Photographs of the Hanworth Villa v Corinthian match are courtesy of Chris Benn 

Related News

View All