2019 Sunday Junior Cup

Hanworth Sports Lift Sunday Junior Cup

by Jim Taylor
The third County Cup final sees Hanworth Sports defeat Harefield United's under-21s.

The third Middlesex FA cup final of the 2018/19 season was staged at North Greenford United FC’s Berkeley Avenue ground on Thursday 28 March. This final, to decide the destination of the Sunday Junior Cup, was between Hanworth Sports, who play in Division 2 of the Middlesex County Sunday League and Harefield United Sunday U21s, of the Harrow Sunday Challenge League.

Both finalists are long standing and successful clubs. Hanworth Sports were formed in 1997 and have appeared frequently in recent years in League and County finals.   They lost on penalties in the 2014 Sunday Junior Trophy final and after extra time in the 2016 Sunday Junior Cup final. Harefield United Sunday U21s were formed in 2001 and won the Sunday Junior Trophy in 2011, beating Hanwell Chargers in the final, in a penalty shoot-out, following a 1-1 draw after extra time!

These teams served up a cracking game of football, played in an uncompromising manner and at a hectic pace. Hanworth Sports eventually triumphed 4-1 and were worthy winners of this final, which will be long remembered by those who were involved.

Hanworth Sports dominated the first-half, both territorially and in terms of the amount of possession enjoyed. However, they couldn’t convert this domination into goals, mainly because of some resolute defending by Harefield United, marshalled by their experienced captain, Martin Coomber.

Although, wisely, they used it sparingly, one of the weapons in the Hanworth Sports armoury was the long throw-in delivered by Dale Clements.

The first attempt on goal came from Hanworth’s Chris West, a header from a cross from the right. Chris had an excellent match and together with Jimmy Hamlet formed a partnership that troubled Harefield throughout the match. Next, a through ball from Jimmy found Chris but keeper Dave Brown gathered the ball safely.

Chris West worked his way through the Harefield defence and was brought down outside the penalty area.   Jimmy Hamlet rattled the cross bar with the resulting free-kick.

In a Harefield United attack, Billy Hanley’s angled shot skimmed the Hanworth bar.

A long free-kick by Hanworth’s Jack Hamlet, into the crowded penalty area, tested Harefield ‘keeper, Dave Brown, who managed to clear with his feet.

At the other end of the field, some good pressure by Harefield striker, Ryan Dilworth, forced a hurried back pass, which ‘keeper Ryan Kear just reached ahead of the chasing Karl Swann.

A well-worked passing movement, involving Jimmy Hamlet, Charlie Simpson, Chris West and Lloyd Vaughan produced a frenetic scramble before the ball was eventually hacked clear. Dave Brown saved low down from Sarunas Streibeka and then he fell on the ball during a melee following a corner kick. He had fall on the ball again, soon afterwards, when Lloyd Vaughan released Chris West through the middle.

Lloyd Vaughan hit a free-kick into Harefield’s defensive wall and then Dave Brown was put under pressure by a succession of well-placed corner kicks.

In the 40th minute, referee Ahmad Rafique administered the first of several cautions, after Harefield’s Jason Richards had felled Jimmy Hamlet.

Jimmy Hamlet got into a scoring position but he didn’t connect cleanly and Dave Brown was able to save his shot.

Then, in the final three minutes leading up to the half-time interval, the action ramped up several more notches. For the first time in the match, Harefield United mounted a sustained attack. Matt Swain headed a corner from the left onto the Hanworth bar and then a close range shot by Jack Long was stopped by ‘keeper Ryan Kear’s feet. Then, amongst scenes of jubilation, a further corner was forced over the line by advanced defender Ryan Barlow.

So, Hanworth Sports, who had dominated the game this far, found themselves a goal down. However, this situation lasted less than a minute. It appeared that Harefield United allowed their goal to affect their concentration. The ball was played straight down to the Harefield end, where Chris West took it through a static defence and lobbed it into the empty goal.

Half Time Score: Hanworth Sports 1 Harefield United Sunday U21s 1

The second period opened with a promising Harefield attack, which finished with Karl Swann’s shot on the turn being repelled by Ryan Kear’s feet.

Hanworth Sports went ahead in the 58th minute, through Lloyd Vaughan.   A long throw-in, into the Harefield goalmouth by Dale Clements, started a succession of passes which delivered the ball to Lloyd, who netted from close range.

Hanworth exerted further pressure. Lloyd Vaughan sent Chris West away and David Brown turned Chris’s shot for a corner. The corner kick led to a flurry of shots before Chris drove narrowly wide. Jimmy Hamlet produced an electric burst up the left wing but David Brown spectacularly saved his high shot.

Chris West made the score 3-1 after 75 minutes with a classic finish. He burst through the middle of the defence and netted with an unstoppable shot.

Hanworth had further scoring chances. Jimmy Hamlet’s fierce drive was well held by Dave Brown. Jack Hamlet’s shot was charged down. A long-range free-kick by Lloyd Vaughan was safely gathered by Brown.

The Jimmy Hamlet/Chris West duo completed the scoring in the 85th minute. Jimmy hit the ball home when it ran to him, after Dave Brown had saved two successive shots by Chris.

Final Score: Hanworth Sports 4 Harefield United Sunday U21s 1

Referee Ahmad Rafique kept this action packed match under control and as a result, contributed to the entertainment. His assistants, Dylan Ossei and Alfie Futerman and fourth official, Garrett Eeles all performed very competently and together formed an impressive team. 

Guest of Honour, Middlesex FA Director Andrew Morton, presented the cup and players’ mementoes, on the field at the conclusion of the match. Andrew chose Hanworth Sports striker, Jimmy Hamlet, as Player of the Match. 

As usual, North Greenford United FC staged the event excellently. Our thanks to them and to the army of Middlesex FA volunteers for their tremendous efforts.
The attendance was 142.

Ryan Kear, Adam Beeches, Danny Knight, Stephen Pooley, Lloyd Vaughan, Charlie Simpson, Dale Clements, Jack Hamlet, Chris West, Sarunas Streibeka and Jimmy Hamlet

Substitutes: (repeat substitutions are used in this competition): Billy Froud, Dale Beeches, Aaron Kavanagh and Bradleigh Vaughan

Manager: Iain Hamlet     
Coaches: Richard Clements and Daniel Hamlet     

Dave Brown, Max Hooper, Martin Coomber, Matt Swain, Ryan Barlow, Jack Long, Zach Smart, Billy Hanley, Ryamn Dilworth, Karl Swann and Jason Richards

Substitutes: Patrick Mosca, Thomas Schalther, Oliver Lewis, Alex Robinson and Kemo Maphela

Manager: Ray Green                                                                                                                             
Coaches: Darell West and Dean Hooper                                                                                               
Physio: Sue Jones