The first of two proposed trial matches to select this season’s Under-18 team, with the forthcoming FA County Youth Cup match against Wiltshire particularly in mind, was held on the 3G surface at Middlesex FA’s new facility at Rectory Park, Northolt, last Sunday.
The skills on show gave all in attendance cause for optimism regarding the forthcoming season.
John Fletcher and his management team have viewed a large number of matches so far this season and selected 32 players to this trial match. There were a few late withdrawals and the following sides lined up:
Joe Ringer (Wealdstone), Josh Penemo (Hayes & Yeading United), Franklin Domi (Wingate & Finchley), Mason Tunbridge (Enfield Town), Sukru Yildiz (Potters Bar Town), Luke Massingham (Wealdstone), Kyran Worrell (Northwood), Oliver Regan (Potters Bar Town), Efraim Difuamna-Hyingi, Mo Ali (both Hanwell Town), Donville Jovann Monroe (Hendon)
Substitutes: Caolan Doyle (GK) (Northwood), Babjide Shittu, Eisa Azab (both Hendon) and Ricardo Matos (Wingate & Finchley)
Team Manager: Vince Purdue.
Reece Mallett (Harefield United), Ryan Murphy (Wingate & Finchley), Miles Dumba (Wealdstone), Lewis White (Harefield United), Michael O’Neill (Hayes & Yeading United), Isaac Ogundere (Hayes & Yeading United) Ruben Carvalho, Archie Morris (both Wingate & Finchley), Radu Stefanoaica (Uxbridge), Patrick Connolly (Hendon), Femi Azeez (Wealdstone)
Substitutes: Jonti Purdon (GK) (Wingate & Finchley) and Jamie Fulton (Northwood).
Team Manager: Remi Bignell
U18s Manager: John Fletcher
Head Coach: Wayne Little
Physio: Gary Strudwick.
Referee: Michael Oakes
Assistant Referees: Simon Slatten and Nathan Carlyle.
The match was mostly played in heavy rain but despite a one-sided scoreline, an interesting contest developed containing some impressive individual performances. These were mainly by members of the B team which won 8-0, having led 6-0 at the interval.
This is how the goals came:
1. Miles Dumba converted Radu Stefanoaica’s low cross, having started the move.
2. Michael O.Neill headed home Ruben Carvalho’s corner.
3. Patrick Connelly was tripped in the penalty area. Femi Azeez netted the rebound after Joe Ringer had saved his first attempt.
4. Femi headed Lewis White’s low cross into the corner of the net.
5. A good move involving Lewis, Femi and Radu was finished by the latter.
6. Michael netted from close range following Patrick’s corner.
7. Patrick finished off some good approach work by Femi.
8. Lewis converted Femi’s low cross from close range.
A further trial game will take place at Rectory Park on Sunday 28 October, after which the squad will be selected for the FA County Youth Cup match at Harrow Borough FC, on the following Saturday 3 November.
For a full selection of photos from the game, please click here