Middlesex FA Senior Charity Cup winners - Hanworth Villa

Hanworth Villa regain Middlesex Senior Charity Cup

Jim Taylor
Match report from the Middlesex FA Senior Charity Cup Final between Hanworth Villa FC and Spelthorne Sports FC.

The Middlesex Senior Charity Cup final was played on Bank Holiday Monday morning at Bedfont Sports FC. This extremely watchable match between Spelthorne Sports and Hanworth Villa, both members of the Combined Counties League Premier Division was won by the Villains, who beat Cockfosters in the 2016 final. 

Despite the intense heat, both teams showed positive inclinations from the kickoff. Spelthorne striker, Jake Flatman worked himself into a dangerous position but his low shot was narrowly wide. Villa’s Cyril Ocansey burst through the middle but was stopped by a timely tackle by Sam Rees.

Hanworth Villa took the lead in the 10th minute, with a spectacular strike by ace marksman, Levi King. He received a square ball from Alfie White and hit a rising shot into the top corner of the net from at least 25 yards.

Spelthorne hit back and a defender cleared off of the goal line with goalkeeper, Terry Buss stranded. A long shot from Jack Wadmore was turned for a corner by Terry. A melee in the Villa goalmouth started by a long throw from Sam Rees ended with Jake Flatman’s shot being charged down.

Villa’s Jesse Atiase sent Malachi Thomas on a run but Cyril Ocansey’s finishing flick was easily saved by Brendan Hazlett. A dangerous looking long free kick, taken by Jack Buckle, somehow avoided any player contact and passed harmlessly for a goal kick.

In a period of Spelthorne pressure, Jesse Atiase felled Jack Horsfall 20 yards outside of the Villains’ penalty area. The resulting free kick, taken by Dan Brown, was comfortably saved by Terry Buss. A free-kick from Lewis Flatman was headed for a corner, which passed across the face of the goal and out by the far post.

Jesse Atiase released Cyril Ocansey, who was stopped by a clinical saving tackle by Sam Rees.

With some players obviously beginning to wilt in the heat and with 10 minutes still to go until the half-time interval, the referee sensibly ordered a drinks break.

On resumption, Villa’s splendid veteran keeper, Terry Buss, was called into action. He saved at close range from Jack Buckle and moved swiftly to gather from Sam Rees, who was chasing Matty Weston’s through ball.

Play continued to move rapidly up and down the field. Steve Loveridge sent Malachi Thomas away up the right but Malachi’s cross evaded any contact. Matty Weston’s drive was just too high. Then Dan Brown won the ball and started a move with Josh Remedios, which ended with Matty, who was under pressure, cleared the crossbar again.

An all-action first period ended with a shot from Cyril Ocansey being tipped around the Spelthorne post for a corner, which there was insufficient time to take.

Halftime score: Spelthorne Sports 0   Hanworth Villa 1

Spelthorne Sports equalised within a minute of the restart when Dan Brown headed Matty Weston’s cross past Terry Buss.

Terry then enjoyed a spell of continuous action. He saved low down from Matty Weston three times and then at the advancing Jack Horsfall’s feet. He is an amazing keeper, whose powers have not diminished at all over the years.

Villa, inspired by the dangerous Levi King, now increased the pressure, in an effort to restore their lead. Levi shot too high from a wide angle. Cyril Ocansey demonstrated electric pace up the right but his cross was deflected for a corner. Malachi Thomas headed Levi’s cross narrowly over the bar. A shot from Alfie White hit a defender’s hand at close range. The penalty appeals were correctly turned down. Cyril’s shot, following a corner from Levi, was charged down.

At the other end, Sam Rees headed over from Lewis Flatman’s corner kick. Then Jack Horsfall put Josh Remedios away. The latter’s cross was intercepted by Malachi Thomas at the expense of a corner. Lewis’ kick was headed wide by Joe Dyett.

Joe Dyett was cautioned for holding. The resulting free kick, taken by Levi King produced a scramble in the Spelthorne goalmouth, which ended in a free kick being awarded to the defence.

A fracas occurred in the 73rd minute, following a foul committed by Spelthorne’s Graeme Edwards. Referee Michael Smith dealt with it efficiently and cautioned Graeme for the foul and Villa’s Jermaine Queensborough, for his part in the fracas.

Cyril Ocansey placed the ball wide of Brendan Hazlett to put Hanworth Villa back in front in the 79th minute.

Villa nearly went further ahead when Levi King’s chip evaded the keeper but was cleared off the Spelthorne goal line.

Terry Buss stretched to take a high corner from Jake Flatman before Levi King made the game safe for the Villains with a spectacular goal in the 89th minute. He finished a run through the middle by chipping the ball over the keeper. 

Spelthorne keeper, Brendan Hazlett, got on the scoresheet, in the 5th minute of added time, with a header from Graeme Edwards’ corner.

Result: Spelthorne Sports 2   Hanworth Villa 3

Referee Michael Smith had an excellent game, well assisted by his colleagues Jack O’Hene and Sam Gregory and Fourth Official, Simon Cudner.  

The Guest of Honour, John Taylor, Middlesex FA Chairman presented the medals and cup after the match. He chose Hanworth Villa striker, Levi King as Player of the Match.

Our thanks are given to Bedfont Sports FC for allowing us the use of their superb facilities at short notice and for their hospitality and assistance during the afternoon. Furthermore, Dave Reader, the Chairman of Bedfont Sports FC has generously expressed his intention of donating the cost of hiring the ground to Middlesex FA’s nominated charity, London’s Air Ambulance.  Northwood FC were the original intended hosts for this final, which was switched due to the geographical location of the finalists. Our thanks are also due to Northwood for their kind cooperation. 

Brendan Hazlett, Jack Horsfall (Calum Beachamp 82) , Samuel Rees, Joe Dyett, Graeme Edwards, Jack Wadmore, Josh Remedios (capt), Jake Flatman, Daniel Brown, Matthew Weston and Lewis Flatman (Kofi Lockhart-Adams 82).

Substitutes not used: Benjamin Thorne, Joe Tuck, George Armstrong.

Managers: Stephen Flatman  and Paul Burgess

Terry Buss, Steve Loveridge, Tom Dilloway, Alfie White, Adam Baigent (capt),  Jermaine Queensborough, Jesse Atiase, Jack Buckle, Levi King (Luke Muldowney 93), Cyril Ocansey and Malachi Thomas (Chris Oganlana 80).

Substitutes not used:Jules Gauvin, Francis Darko, Luke Silavwe, 

Manager: Rufus Brevett   Assistant Manager: Bobby Watson

Photos from the game are available below courtesy of matchday photographer, Chris Benn.

View photos

Related Match Reports

View All