Harefield United

Harefield United Celebrate 150 Years

Jim Taylor
Harefield United celebrated the landmark of 150 years, Officialy named the Oldest Club in Middlesex

Harefield United FC are the oldest club in Middlesex, having been formed in 1868, fifteen years before Middlesex FA.

They celebrated this highly impressive anniversary on Saturday last, at their first league match of the 2018-19 season, by staging an informal and enjoyable event. An invitation to attend was issued to anyone previously connected with the club, including former players, managers and club officials. Admission to the game was free.

The event around the match was hosted by Chairman, Gary South and Secretary Ray Green and was a huge success. An impressive spread was provided and the drinks and conversation flowed. A large number of former players attended and it was fascinating to hear their reminiscences from games in the Middlesex, Spartan, Athenian and Isthmian Leagues.

Middlesex FA was well represented. Attendees included the Chairman and two former Presidents. We didn’t need reminding that one of Middlesex’s most dynamic and popular Presidents, Dave West, also held that position (among others) at Harefield United. We also remembered other outstanding administrators at Preston Park, including Secretary, Terry Devereux and Chairman, Keith Ronald.

The current players had earlier celebrated on the pitch, with a memorable performance in their Spartan South Midlands League Division One game against Winslow United. Although they were the better team in the first half, they were trailing by a single goal at the interval, mainly because of two outstanding saves by the Winslow United goalkeeper. The Winslow goal was netted from close range, in the 15th minute, by striker Aaron King, following a corner.

However, Harefield centre forward, Lenny Farhall crashed home an equaliser 5 minutes into the second half. He added a second, after an hour’s play, from the penalty spot, after Tashan Jordan had been brought down. Ten minutes later, Tashan converted Lenny’s through ball to make the score 3-1.

Lenny completed his hat trick and made the score 4-1, in the 83rd minute after referee, Steven Healey, had played an excellent advantage.  

Jim Taylor

Match Photos

Related News

View All