BAA Heathrow - Sunday Intermediate Cup winners

BAA Fly away with Sunday Intermediate Cup

Jim Taylor
Match report from the Middlesex FA Sunday Premier Cup Final between CFB United and BAA Heathrow.

The final of the Middlesex Sunday Intermediate Cup took place on the excellent surface of the Robert Parker Stadium, home of Ashford Town (Middlesex) FC. It produced a very entertaining game, played in a good spirit, featuring CFB United of the Harrow Sunday Challenge League and BAA Heathrow (Sunday) from the Middlesex County League.

CFB United made the early running and almost took the lead. Ryan McDonald finished a penetrating movement by firing over the crossbar. Then, in the 9th minute, Nick Reilly hit a rocket from around 20 yards, which crashed against the underside of the bar and rebounded down onto the goal line. Despite then hitting the goalkeeper, the ball failed to cross that line.

Little more than a minute later, the ball hit the goal frame at the other end when CFB keeper, Anthony Giannini pushed Curtis Tunstall’s free-kick onto his left-hand post.

A high goal-bound ball from Nick Reilly was punched out from under his crossbar by BAA keeper, Aaron Toombs. Then, at the other end, Anthony Giannini saved at the feet of the dangerous Marcus Gibbs.

Paul Murphy opened the scoring for BAA in the 28th minute, with a cross-shot which evaded the diving keeper’s left hand.

Twelve minutes later Paul added another when he cut in from the left and placed the ball into the same corner of the goal.

In the next minute, CFB’s position got even worse when Marcus Gibbs headed home a cross from Kevin Aovidef to make the score 3-0 to BAA.

However, they hit back just before the halftime interval through Lee Bishop, who converted Nick Reilly’s corner, from close range.

Halftime score: CFB United 1   BAA Heathrow (Sunday) 3

Marcus Gibbs made a penetrating run into the CFB penalty area but Kevin Aovidef’s shot was charged down in a flurry of activity. Ross Berti cut in and let fly for CFB but his shot was deflected for a corner.

In the 62nd minute, Marcus Gibbs broke out of his half after a spell of CFB pressure, took the ball up the middle and slid it past the keeper to restore BAA’s three-goal lead.

Nick Reilly just cleared the BAA bar with a free kick. Curtis Tunstall’s spectacular volley from Paul Murphy’s cross flew wide of the CFB goal and Marcus Gibbs hit the foot of their post with a low drive.

Aaron Toombs pushed an inswinging corner from Ricki Walsh over his crossbar. Ryan McDonald set up Antony Flemming but Aaron saved well. In the 33rd minute, Ryan McDonald was tripped, as he was entering the BAA box and Ricki Walsh converted the penalty to register his side’s second goal.   

Both sides had further chances without increasing their goal tally. Ricki Walsh’s shot was saved after a fine run. He then hit a free kick, awarded for a handball just outside the penalty area, too high. A good BAA move ended with a well placed Marcus Gibbs putting the ball over the bar.

Antony Flemming fired over for CFB and then, in the last seconds, Marcus Gibbs set up Harry Cass, who was foiled by a timely tackle

Final Score: CFB United 2   BAA Heathrow (Sunday) 4

Referee Andy Batten controlled proceedings in his usual quietly efficient manner. He was well supported by his team of officials.

The Guest of Honour, Middlesex FA Vice President and Board Member, Nigel Hickes presented the medals and the trophy at the conclusion of the match, assisted by Vice President, Robin Jagot. Nigel chose BAA midfielder, Paul Murphy as Player of the Match.

Our grateful thanks are given to Ashford Town (Middlesex) FC for allowing us the use of their fine facilities and for their hospitality throughout the morning. The attendance was 136.

(rolling substitutions were used): Anthony Giannini, Alex Marr, Glenn Caulfield, Lee Williamson (capt), Lee Bishop, Ross Berti, Ryan McDonald, Paul Yarrow, Ant Flemming, Ricky Moran, Ricki Walsh, Nick Reilly, Jack Yarrow, Dan Kennett, Vlad Drogomir and Alex Giannini.

Manager: Glenn Caulfield   Assistant Manager: Dennis Quigley.

Aaron Toombs, Dan Gibbs, Karl Healy, Peter Parfitt, Ben Robins, Matthew Stapleton, Ryan Hunt, Connor Tunstall, Paul Murphy, Curtis Tunstall (capt), Marcus Gibbs, Kevin Aovidef, James May, Jamie Burksfield, Harry Cass and Brian Holdaway.

Manager: Bradley Holdaway   Coach: Steve May

Referee: Andy Batten   Assistant Referees: Robert Reid and Michael Oakes Fourth Official: Anass Tooma.

Match photos can be found below courtesy of Chris Benn.

View photos

Related Match Reports

View All