Jubilation and consternation


Jim Taylor

There were 3 Middlesex affiliated clubs engaged in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday last, 1st October and your roving team visited Hendon FC at their welcoming Silver Jubilee Park venue for their encounter with Herne Bay.

The match started 33 minutes late due to the severe traffic problems experienced by the visitors.  It was well worth the wait.  The attendance of 234 people was well entertained by a splendid cup tie.   Play moved rapidly up and down the field in the first half, with scoring chances at both ends.   Herne Bay took their opportunities and built up an early 2 goal lead.   As half time approached, they appeared to have the match well under control.   However, in the added time before the interval, Hendon pulled a goal back from the penalty spot.

Hendon tore into their visitors on the resumption and soon equalised.  They continued to dominate the proceedings and scored the winning goal midway through the half.

To reach this stage of the competition Hendon had won 5-1 at Potton United in the 1st Qualifying Round and 3-1 at home against Wingate & Finchley in the 2nd.   Herne Bay had recorded home wins against Horsham (2-1) and Ashford United (2-0).

The teams take the field

Hendon went straight onto the attack and Solomon Sambou’s shot was deflected by a defender’s foot for a corner.  Then Liam Brooks connected with Giovanni Palmer’s cross but his shot was well saved by keeper, Jordan Perrin.

Solomon Sambou's (4) shot is deflected for corner

Herne Bay took the lead in the 6th minute, through a free kick by Mason Saunders-Henry, from 25 yards out at the left-hand corner of the box, which flew into the top far corner of the net.

Mason Saunders-Henry's free kick flies in for Herne Bay's first goal

Hendon hit back.   Robbie Buchanan set up Rohdell Gordon, whose shot was blocked and then Jordan Perrin made a good save at Rohdell’s feet.

Herne Bay doubled their lead in the 12th minute through Rory Smith, who ran on to a long ball through the middle and slotted it home.

Hendon’s Robbie Buchanan put Arthur Iontton through but Jordan Perrin saved again.

Kymani Thomas' shot from an acute angle clears the Hendon bar

Herne Bay created further chances.   Kymani Thomas shot over from an acute angle at close range.   Bode Anidugbe made a run through the middle but his shot was blocked, at the expense of a corner.   Then Kymani hit the crossbar from around 25 yards and Rory Smith shot narrowly wide.

Jordan Perrin saves Liam Brooks' (10) header

Jordan Perrin was called into action, making a diving save after Rohdell Gordon’s 35-yard free kick was headed on by Liam Brooks.

Back at the other end, Rory Smith’s shot was marginally wide and then Marcin Brzozowski made a brilliant diving save from Kymani Thomas following a well worked Herne Bay move.

Marcin Brzozowski makes a diving save from Kymani Thomas (14)

Joe White cleared the Herne Bay crossbar with a free kick from just outside the Herne Bay penalty box.

The referee spots an infringement following a Hendon corner...

In added time, Dave Diedhiou squared the ball from the left to Joe White but Joe’s shot was cleared off of the goal line by Daniel Johnson, for a corner.   In the action following the corner kick, a defender conceded a penalty for holding.   Joe White placed the kick low, out of the keeper’s reach to reduce the arrears.

...and Joe White converts the penalty

Score at half time: Hendon 1   Herne Bay 2

Hendon immediately took the initiative and repeatedly pressurised the visitors’ defence with some penetrating football.   They were particularly dangerous through the left side, with Giovanni Palmer and Rohdell Gordon combining well, prompted by Solomon Sambou.

Rohdell Gordon (11) shoots...

They went close, when Rohdell’s curling drive skimmed the crossbar but the equaliser soon arrived.    In the 54th minute, Rohdell blasted the ball home from Liam Brooks’ pass.

...and Hendon are level

Play continued to follow a similar pattern, with Giovanni particularly dangerous with his left-wing raids.

Marcin Brzozowski smothered an angled shot from Rory Smith during a let up in the Hendon pressure.

Hendon went ahead in the 68th minute.   The ball was cut back by Joe White for Solomon Sambou to smash home from the edge of the penalty box.

Solomon Sambou (4) nets the winner

Hendon remained in control for the remainder of the match, with the visitors unable to put their defence under any pressure.

Home substitute, Bobson Bawling made an impressive run up the right but he misplaced his final cross.

In added time, Giovanni Palmer just cleared the visitors’ bar, after being supplied by Rohdell Gordon.

Mason Saunders-Henry crossed the ball for Rory Smith but the Hendon defence blocked his attempted turn and cleared easily.

Referee Matthew Fletcher from Hertfordshire and his team controlled the match very well.

Final Score: Hendon 3   Herne Bay 2


Hendon: Marcin Brzozowski, Dave Diedhiou, Giovanni Palmer, Solomon Sambou, Tommy Brewer (capt), Tarik Moore-Azile (Josh Dawodu 46mins), Robbie Buchanan (Bobson Bawling 67), Arthur Iontton, Joe White, Liam Brooks (Frank Keita 85) and Rohdell Gordon.

Unused substitutes: Bradley Shaw (gkpr), Guri Demuri, Kieron Forbes and Azeez Alabi.

Manager: Lee Allinson   Assistant Manager: Cameron Mawer

Herne Bay: Jordan Perrin, Chris Edwards (Kieron Campbell 46), Jack Parter, Keono Robinson, Daniel Johnson, Bode Anidugbe, Hamilton Antonio, Helge Orome (capt), Kymani Thomas (Laurence Harvey 61), Rory Smith and Mason Saunders-Henry.

Unused substitutes: Michael West, Monty Saunders. Zeus McCully and Leo Dodds.

Manager: Ben Smith   Assistant Managers: Tim Dixon and Ben Brown.

Referee: Matthew Fletcher   Assistant Referees: Andrew Simmond and Rikki Woolford.

The other Middlesex clubs involved at this stage of the competition both acquitted themselves very well.

Our congratulations are given to Hampton & Richmond Borough, who enjoyed a 6-1 win against Paulton Rovers.   The Beavers’ goals were scored by Terni Babalola (2), Stefen Ilic, Tommy Wood, Ade Shokunbi and Tommy Block (penalty).   Paulton Rovers’ goal came from the penalty spot.

Hanwell Town performed valiantly, losing by the odd goal in three to National League South leaders, Ebbsfleet United.   The Geordies goal was scored in added time by Shomari Barnwell.

As ever we thank Chris & Jim for their efforts in covering this match. As has become the custom, Chris & Jim have reviewed Chris' work and selected their favourite shots from the match, all of which can be found throughout this report. Chris has also very kindly provided a full album of images captured on the day, a link for which, can be found below.

Chris & Jim's Picks

Full Album Courtesy of Chris Benn