Make the step up.
Even the most experienced referees have worked their way from the very bottom of the refereeing ladder and through the promotion scheme to where they are today.
Whether your dream is to officiate at the World Cup final or a County Cup Final, the promotion scheme has been designed to help you get there. We wish to encourage all referees to aim at achieving an improvement in their performance level and are keen to support all aspiring referees who wish to apply for advancement within the county promotion system.
Your 'level' signifies your seniority within refereeing. Unless you are under the age of 16, all referees will start at Level 7 and can progress as far as the International FIFA list.
- Level T - Trainee
- Level Y - Youth Referee (qualified referees under 16 years old)
- Level 7 - Junior County Referee
- Level 6 –County Referee
- Level 5 - Senior County Referee
- Level 4 - Supply League Referee/Contributory League Assistant
- Level 3 - Contributory League Referee/Panel League Assistant
- Level 2 - Panel League Referee/Football League Assistant
- Level 1 - Football League Referee
- Select Group - FA Premier League Referee
- FIFA List - International Referee
How do I achieve promotion?
All new Level 7 and Level 6 candidates must apply for promotion by completing the R5 form. Existing promotion scheme candidates will be kept on the scheme until they achieve Level 5 status providing they meet the requirements shown below.
Level 7 referee? You must have refereed at least 20 (twenty) games in a given period before applying for promotion to Level 6.
All candidates for promotion must:
- Attend an In Service Training Seminar specifically designated for promotion candidates at their current level during each promotion season
- Must pass an examination on the Laws of the Game during each promotion season specifically designated for promotion candidates at their current level
- Must keep the Observing Officer apprised of every match they officiate giving prior notice of time and venue
- Must officiate on a minimum of 20 (twenty) 11v11 competitive matches during the period of the promotion year (i.e. 01/03/18 to 28/02/19)
- Must ensure that 70% of their matches are at open-age (adult) level
- Will be observed on a minimum of 3 (three) matches by county observers
The promotion season commences on the 1st March 2018 and finishes on the 28th February 2019.
Think you're ready to take the next step in your refereeing career? Get in touch and we'll let you know the next steps.
Promotion In-Service Training
Promotion In-Service training is for referee promotion candidates only. Each candidate will attend a venue for a day where they will take part in a number of training/development drills led by a Middlesex FA Referee Tutor. Those involved in the training will also have to sit a Laws of the Game exam. This training is an integral part of the Referee Promotion Scheme and is a requirement of any promotion.
Frequently asked questions about the referee promotion scheme