Volunteer It Yourself, working in partnership with County Sports Partnerships, is offering sports clubs and organisations in Middlesex the opportunity to pilot a new national volunteering and facility development project.
Funded through Sport England and sponsor Wickes, the project will see at least 15 sports clubs across the country benefit from delivering a community facilities renovation project, and in so doing, creating great experience for local young people.
ViY combines volunteering and DIY by challenging young people aged 14-24 to learn trade and building skills, on the job, by helping to renovate and repair community buildings. The initiative is sponsored by Wickes, who provide materials up to a value of £2,000.
This project is about expanding ViY’s services to grassroots and community sports clubs struggling with facilities in need of repair/improvement, but who can mobilise their local network to find young people and tradespeople to make the project happen.
If selected, a sporting club or organisation will receive significant support and resources to develop the ViY model to undertake a major refurbishment or building project. This includes:
- Support with the development and planning of the project
- Creating a structure for managing the volunteers and tradespeople to deliver the projects
- Support in providing materials for the project
- Providing accredited qualifications for young people through City and Guilds
- Providing opportunities for young people to gain further experience.
In order to establish a partnership project, ViY need a club that:
- Is well run and at the heart of the local community
- Is passionate about volunteering and supporting local young people
- Has an idea to improve its facilities that will provide quality experiences for young people to volunteer over a period of a few weeks, with a project ready for delivery in 2019
- Can find 30-40 young people either through its participant base or its networks
- Can find 4-5 tradespeople that are willing to mentor the young people through their volunteering
Expressions of interest must be submitted by Thursday 19th July 2018.
Volunteer It Yourself Guidance Document